PDA

View Full Version : Antlers dropping already!!

Thunderstix
12-16-2005, 08:00 AM
I cannot believe it! A couple of days ago there were two big racked bucks on my street and one had dropped one side already. I was 10 feet from it and it had definitely dropped naturally. Never personally seen that this early around here. Anyone seeing this elsewhere already?

Driftwood
12-16-2005, 08:34 AM
It does seem early. I won't throw Prince Rupert jokes at you:) Two days ago I pulled into a clients house and there was a huge 4 point standing there 20 feet away, and two spikes were with him. Later I saw a fork with a spike and 6 does in a field browsing.

Ride
12-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah, i agree that it seems early this year. Just last weekend i saw a guy coming back from christmas tree hunting that had a fresh moose shed on his quad. Don't ever recall seeing sheds this early. Maybe its these easy winters, they can afford to drop sooner and focus on nutrients then.............

mark
12-16-2005, 09:11 AM
i can remember about 20 years ago i was looking for a christmas tree as a kid and i found a mulie shed lying on top of the snow.

Thunderstix
12-16-2005, 10:01 AM
i can remember about 20 years ago i was looking for a christmas tree as a kid and i found a mulie shed lying on top of the snow.
You must have been a kid way more than 20 years ago!:grin:

Gilmore
12-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Thunderstix,
Myself and 2 buddies saw a 2 point in the West Pavillion(Reg 3) on Dec. 10th of this year that had already dropped one side. We thought it must have broken off or got shot off or something like that but one of my buddies saw the deer later that day from above and he figures it fell off naturally for sure. Does seem early, anyone else ever see them drop this early? Maybe some deer just genetically drop them earlier than others?Chad

MB_Boy
12-16-2005, 10:28 AM
A couple of days ago there were two big racked bucks on my street and one had dropped one side already. I was 10 feet from it and it had definitely dropped naturally. ?

Mike....how those big racked bucks are not on your wall.....with their "meat" in your freezer?!?!?

Sounds like you could bonk them with a cast iron frying pan and call it a day.

mark
12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
You must have been a kid way more than 20 years ago!:grin:

easy there thunder im only 32

Blacktail
12-16-2005, 11:42 AM

Just a puppy!:biggrin:

Thunderstix
12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Touchy Touchy!:grin: I knew you were not that old!

Thunderstix
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Mike....how those big racked bucks are not on your wall.....with their "meat" in your freezer?!?!?

Sounds like you could bonk them with a cast iron frying pan and call it a day.
I could bonk them easily! You could literally walk up and touch them if you so desired. I have "accidently" had a hole in my apple bag while carrying in the groceries and thus left a trail of apples into my house. The deer always come only half way in and then back out very slowly after seeing my mounts:grin:

mark
12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
you think you have "BIG RACKED BUCKS" there. i think you should surf my gallery again thunder! heh heh :D

Thunderstix
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM
you think you have "BIG RACKED BUCKS" there. i think you should surf my gallery again thunder! heh heh :D
You just let me know Mark when I should show up in Kelowna for Mulie season and then I will be in your gallery as well!!:grin: I really would like to get me one of those brutes! That is my current dream...a big mulie!

mark
12-16-2005, 03:23 PM
get in line, if i get one more request like that ill have to start a guiding service out of my home and computer!

Canuck2
12-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Mike, this guy showed up on the wintering grounds a few days ago - right after the season was over. I guess he migrated from God knows where with the myriad other deer that show up mysteriously every year.

Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 14

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP1432.jpg

Picked up Thursday morning, Dec 15

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP1478.jpg

Thursday afternoon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP1475.jpg

The vast majority of whitetails here seem to have lost their antlers by the end of December. Mule deer hang on a month or more longer.

Many years ago I worked out of Houston and we tallied over 300 moose sightings in Jan & Feb but we only saw 2 bulls with antlers, both at the very beginning of Jan.

Thunderstix
12-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Can't get a shed much fresher than that. You guys ever see those feeders they sell that snag onto the antlers and pull them off once they are ready to come off? I see them in the hunting mags.

Darren
12-17-2005, 10:54 AM
I saw those on the computer once thunderstix. They had a video of it in action.

3kills
12-17-2005, 11:43 AM
i have heard of using a picnic table to grab racks...just put feed under neath and when they are ready to come off the racks get knocked off when they put their head in to get the food...