PDA

View Full Version : Which Binocular Harness?

Dirty
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Which binocular harness are you guys using? I have been looking at the Swarovski online, and the Vortex.

THE SWEDE
08-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Swaro for me

Tack
08-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi,
Swarovski market a binocular harness for around $50 but to my way of thinking the Bino-Caddy by Butler Creek does exactly the same job for around $18.
Tack

08-19-2009, 08:04 AM
l own a swaro set up, and if there ever comes a time for a second rig, l will be shopping around to see what else is out there.......not that happy with the fit.

Rob
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I bought mine through the Boone and Crockett club for $24, and I cant imagine a better set up. The Bino Caddy is similar from Butler creek, But Ive tried the bino buddy from them and they are Junk imo.

huntcoop
08-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Mine is from Crooked Horn, the originators.

www.crookedhorn.com (http://www.crookedhorn.com)

Steeleco
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I've used the Swaro on a borrowed pair of binos and it was great, thought I'd get the same thing with the Bushnell set, NOPE, got junk.

I like huntcoops link, but wonder how they would work with a Safari sling?

ibehuntin
08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I've had both the Swarovski and the Crooked Horn and prefer the Swaro due to its better quick relese buckles.

muledeercrazy
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I've used the Swaro on a borrowed pair of binos and it was great, thought I'd get the same thing with the Bushnell set, NOPE, got junk.

I bought a pair of the bushnell variety, and it was pretty low quality. The only other type available at the local store had Jim Shockeys name on it, no guff gear. I am not sure who manufactures it, but it is good quality. The only complaint i have is that i would like a few options to connect to the binos from the buckle. It might be nice to have several of each, in case you used different binos..

todbartell
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I got the cheap bushnells, they suck

vanislehunter1
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I got the cheap bushnells, they suck Me too, not the best that's for sure, but they'll work for a season.

Poguebilt
08-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Crooked horn.... the only way to go! Wholesale has them... jim shockey has some with his name on them... I got mine from mountain man in Cranbrook...

bubba350
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I use the butler creek. It takes the weight off you neck and you can wear them comfortably while you hike. I paid less than 20 bucks for mine.

http://www.butler-creek.com/products/bino_caddy.html

dime
08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
You can make your own out of two pieces of rubber tubing and the original strap that came with the bino's. It cost less than $3 and has lasted me for 6 years. If it ever breaks/wears out it is a pretty quick fix.

Rubicon500
08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
hmm I dont how you guys can have complaints about the bushnell. Ive had it for 4 years now and still no complaints and super comfy. Sounds like alot of you guys should be girls, you complain about everything :)

wildprotien
08-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Made Local Calde Ridge Tactical Gear, Black or Olive

KevinB
08-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Not that well, or maybe it's just me - I have a pretty short torso. I like my Safari Sling more than the bino harness, so I went back to a regular neck strap. I keep meaning to get set up with a Kifaru gun bearer, so that I can use my bino harness, since I do most of my hunting with a pack, but I haven't got off of my ass and actually done it yet.

Shooter
08-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I have the Vortex harness and its been great.

BlacktailStalker
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Crooked Horn Outfitters

Muleycatcher
08-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Got ones from Cabelas..they have quick release clips. they work great only $19

HD95
08-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I use the Swarovski harness for my SLC's.I've had the same harness since 2003,still performing as expected,no complaints.

Dirty
08-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I think I am going to buy the Swarovskis.

moosegoof
08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
vortex on mine:lol:

scembalf
08-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I just bought a brand new pair of 10 x 42 swaro els and a crooked horn harness for them been shooting my bow with them on and cant say how much I love them give them a good look

Don in BC
08-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Swaro is the only way to go IMO. The center patch on your back defines the four direction the straps go. The Bushnell and others only have three and can be confusing to see where your arms go through. Hold the swaro up and it is easy to see. The holes are easily defined. Something you wouldn't think about until you have had both. Just my 2 cents.

DON

Twobucks
08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
MEC has a great set for about $15 - they do a great job on my compact 8X30 Bushnells year round.

eaglesnester
08-20-2009, 06:51 AM
I have a el chepo Bushnell harness, cost $25.00. The Bushnell harness has a rather large back weight distribution pad with a 4 point harness system and does a fine job of keeping the weight off. For $25.00 you can't go wrong, it does the job. I have worn my set up all day and hardly knew the Bushnell 12X50es were there. If I wear em out I will just go out and get another set, I mean 25 bucks is hardly going to break the bank. You can go out and spend much much more on a harness but I would not spend more.

BigfishCanada
08-20-2009, 06:59 AM
This thread is exactly what I have been looking for. I just bought some large brand new binoculars.

You guys might be interested in this, they are bushnell astralis 15x70 they retail at London Drugs for $179.oo BUT at Vancouver Telescope they have them on sale for only $105.00 I printed out the sales price from Vancouver Telescopes website and went to London Drugs and they honored.

Anyone have these ones? I cant wait to get out and use them.

http://shop.vancouvertelescope.com/binoculars-bushnell.html

srupp
08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I have the Swaro..not all that impressed...:redface: sheesh and if they are better than the rest??

Steven

BlacktailStalker
08-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Swaro doesnt specialize in harnesses... Buy from a company that does, Crooked Horn Outfitters. Its what they started in the buis with.

Kody94
08-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I have the Swaro's and never use them. I hate them....they are collecting dust in my gear shelves. To my way of thinking the whole point of the harness is to take the weight off of your neck and hold them closer to your chest for when you are climbing and don't want your bins bashing you in the face. The Swaro's accomplish the former, but they just hang as though they were around your neck.

I bought the Butler Creek ones for a third the price and use them all the time...on two different pairs of Swaro binoculars. I had to use some key rings to attach them to the bin's more solidly, but other than that they have worked flawlessly....and they keep the bins from flopping out of your jacket when you are leaning way forward and/or climbing up steep slopes.

Cheers
4Ster

Shooter
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Swaro is the only way to go IMO. The center patch on your back defines the four direction the straps go. The Bushnell and others only have three and can be confusing to see where your arms go through. Hold the swaro up and it is easy to see. The holes are easily defined. Something you wouldn't think about until you have had both. Just my 2 cents.

DON

My Vortex also has 4. I dunno what the Swaro`s are worth but I paid $25 for the Vortex harness and it worked flawless last year. I wouldn`t wanna be without em now.

Gunner
08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I use the Crooked horn with the Kifaru Gun Bearer.Works great! Gunner

GoatGuy
08-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Which binocular harness are you guys using? I have been looking at the Swarovski online, and the Vortex.

Why spend money on a harness AND binoculars when all you need is a good scope?

sarnold
08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
i bought the leopold one. work ok....not sure if all harness' are the same but the bino's drop off my chest when I bend over:biggrin:.......seem to flop around
Anyone have a harness that the binos sit in and stay tight to your chest even when bending over, possibly like a leather case that also protects the lense

MidnightRun
08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
i bought the leopold one. work ok....not sure if all harness' are the same but the bino's drop off my chest when I bend over:biggrin:.......seem to flop around
Anyone have a harness that the binos sit in and stay tight to your chest even when bending over, possibly like a leather case that also protects the lense

Here are the ones I'm aware of

Alaska guide creations
Crooked Horn
Badlands

landphil
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Don't tell me you're the guy who glasses with your riflescope, one in the pipe, finger on the trigger, and safety off??:eek: And people wonder why I wear camo... I hope you mean a spotting scope:wink:

I use a padded neck strap from butler creek, not a harness but works ok for me - much better than the original straps anyway.

Dirty
08-23-2009, 09:50 PM

My scope is broken, I am using open sights this year. Binoculars are for guys with open sights.

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
My scope is broken, I am using open sights this year. Binoculars are for guys with open sights.

I see sold the scope for the wedding gifts. :roll:

I'm surprised you're allowed to go hunting. Don't you have a 49 day anniversary dinner to worry about?

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't tell me you're the guy who glasses with your riflescope, one in the pipe, finger on the trigger, and safety off??:eek: And people wonder why I wear cammo... I hope you mean a spotting scope:wink:

There's only one reason to have your trigger on the finger and that's after the safety's already off and you're ready to shoot.............didn't you pay attention in CORE???????????

Spotting scope?

I've got a 5-20X rifle scope for a reason and it ain't to spend $2K on some fancy smancy spotting scope.

Fisher-Dude
08-23-2009, 10:03 PM
...they keep the bins from flopping out of your jacket when you are leaning way forward and/or climbing up steep slopes.

Cheers
4Ster

Nothing tougher than a long day on the quad with heavy binos around your neck, leaning forward to check moose tracks on the road and riding up steep slopes included. I'll buy some Butler Creek ones on your advice, SSSSter. 8-)

GoatGuy
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I bought the Butler Creek ones for a third the price and use them all the time...on two different pairs of Swaro binoculars. I had to use some key rings to attach them to the bin's more solidly, but other than that they have worked flawlessly....and they keep the bins from flopping out of your jacket when you are leaning way forward and/or climbing up steep slopes.

Cheers
4Ster

Do you have an extra pair?

My bins get hard on the neck after a while. I'd gladly give them things a try and send you a consumer's report. Heck, I'll drop 'em off in October when I'm down there.

I'm not as good at schmoozing the girl into those sorts of things. She wasn't impressed when the grizz showed up this spring and there wasn't a wall big enough to put it on. Her solution is to renovate and add-on. You can imagine what that'll do to the hunting fund. :(

Jagermeister
08-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Mine are by Vero Vellini, they have the 4-point in the back and quick releases. Have had them for several years, they were the 1st I had ever seen.
I have the Vero Vellini double rifle sling as well. You sheep and goat hunters would like this system too if you're not hunting with a large pack. Leaves both hands free for scrambling up the hillside.