PDA

View Full Version : what is the mating season for rabbits ?

city hunter
08-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi my son just asked me what the mating season for rabbits is ? how long will it take till give birth and how long will it take till the baby independent,any help would be apprecited, thanks!!!

gary mok
08-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi my son just asked me what the mating season for rabbits is ? how long will it take till give birth and how long will it take till the baby independent,any help would be apprecited, thanks!!!good qustion,I just concentrated on big games and ignored of small one,I have to ungrade myself,hope someone can help you.

landphil
08-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Domestic rabbits are 8 weeks in the "oven", can be weaned at 8 weeks and are tasty around 12 weeks. As for mating season, it never stops - they're rabbits. I would assume that most of this applies to the wild versions as well except they are probably smarter than to breed/give birth mid winter as domestic ones would if given the chance.

city hunter
08-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Domestic rabbits are 8 weeks in the "oven", can be weaned at 8 weeks and are tasty around 12 weeks. As for mating season, it never stops - they're rabbits. I would assume that most of this applies to the wild versions as well except they are probably smarter than to breed/give birth mid winter as domestic ones would if given the chance.Thanks !!!anymore info ???

KevinB
08-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Amazing what a quick Google search will turn up!

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/VTCRITTERS/factsheets/Mammals/Snowshoe%20Hare/Snowshoe%20Hare.pdf

I would assume that the life cycle/habits of snowshoe hares are similar in most of BC.

city hunter
08-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Amazing what a quick Google search will turn up!

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/VTCRITTERS/factsheets/Mammals/Snowshoe%20Hare/Snowshoe%20Hare.pdf

I would assume that the life cycle/habits of snowshoe hares are similar in most of BC.thanks buddy ,I got it.

bighornbob
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
We shot one once during the first week of August and when cleaning it, there were like 3-4 babies inside:frown: Put a damper on shooting hares in August. We now wait till the regular season (sept. 10) to shoot anymore.

BHB

H Wally
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
At UVic rabbits go at it when it warms up in the spring/early summer.

Slickfork
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Rabbits are shock ovulators, they do not come in heat or estrus like other mammals.
The bigger and ruffer the male the better the chances of conception, inother words the violent actions of the male during mateing shakes down the eggs to be fertilized.
I don't know why wild rabbits don't breed in winter except to say that I believe daylight or the length of daylight hours controls this.

7mag700
08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
^^^^^^

:shock:

...well that gives new meaning to the whole 'doing it like bunny rabbits thing'.

7m7

eastkoot
08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi my son just asked me what the mating season for rabbits is ?

24/7 365 days a year...

city hunter
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
We shot one once during the first week of August and when cleaning it, there were like 3-4 babies inside:frown: Put a damper on shooting hares in August. We now wait till the regular season (sept. 10) to shoot anymore.

BHB
Oh...too bad.

Chuck
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Rabbits are shock ovulators, they do not come in heat or estrus like other mammals.
The bigger and ruffer the male the better the chances of conception, inother words the violent actions of the male during mateing shakes down the eggs to be fertilized.
I don't know why wild rabbits don't breed in winter except to say that I believe daylight or the length of daylight hours controls this.

Does that suggest: "Nighttime is the right time for making whoopee"?

fowl language
08-19-2009, 08:22 PM
judging from the rabbits we had it s 24,7,365 fowl