PDA

View Full Version : Some Northern Rivers Closing To Jet Boats??

Gilmore
08-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I heard a rumour today that because of low water and some concerns for fish that some rivers may be closing to jet boats until further notice, the Muskwa in particular. Am I being fed a complete line of BS or is there some truth to this, have any of you northern boaters heard this? It may change a few of my buddies plans.

Thanks,
Chad

Barracuda
08-16-2009, 05:35 PM
i think size and hp restrictions are more likley just like what they do in alaska .

gitnadoix
08-16-2009, 08:32 PM
From what I have been told there is very few ways to actually close one of Canada's navigabile rivers to the publics use by vessel. And as this country was opened up largely by river travel, it is something that is strongly guarded as a heritage issue.

It requires some one to make request to parliment that they want river (a) closed to power boat trafic. They will also have to provide info along the lines of what other options they have tried to solve the problem as well as who will pay for the signs and maintenance of the signs, because with out proper transport canada signs it is un-enforceable. Also it requires public forums and input from those affected. And we all know how fast parliment works........

Amphibious
08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
the right to free navigation IIRC.

on the other hand, after many near misses by drunken asshole jetboat drivers while snorkeling and flyfishing in rivers.... well, lets just say I have a foot on both sides of the fence...

Barracuda
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
plenty of small rivers that have powerboat restrictions and i am sure if it is decided that fish habitat is at stake they would do something .
I really dont see a closure if it is for commercial transporting of goods (logs ,ore etc)but if it is just public use i could see restrictions.

I found this link to the govt site
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/oep/nwpp/faqs.htm

On the other hand it would be pretty easy for the provincial govt to impose restrictions on transporting of hunters or equipment for hunting by jet boaters just like how they do for other vehicles.

Riverratz
08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
If ???? this rumor proves to be true, that will be very strange, as the gov't website states the volumes of water moving thru the Muskwa right now are higher than they were at this time last year.

http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/fullgraph.asp

Rock Doctor
08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
The Muskwa is not low right now, it's right about normal for this time of yr. Same with the Nelson, And I would say that the Prophet is actually higher than normal.
Spent about 5hrs jetboating up to the Open Cow Elk area (Aug 20th opener) yesterday, and it was a piece of cake. Normally it's pretty hard to make it much past Tenaka Cr at this time of yr. The Minaker was looking a little low though, where it dumps into the Prophet.

Dirty
08-16-2009, 10:13 PM
They are just going to limited the diameter of pump nozzles to protect the fish. And next year they are implementing a law requiring all grates to be covered with a special fitting to stop fish from being sucked up.

gitnadoix
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
On the other hand it would be pretty easy for the provincial govt to impose restrictions on transporting of hunters or equipment for hunting by jet boaters just like how they do for other vehicles.[/quote]

Only if the current wildlife act and regulations made there under provide them that option. I dont see any where that allows them to prohibit the use of a boat for personal transport. For a commercial enterprise yes, but not personaly. Unless they get that power from some other set of regulations.......

Barracuda
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
it would be no differnt then them exculuding atvs, Motor vehicles , planes etc etc for certain regions for the purpose of hunting or placeing time constraints as to thier use.
Part 3 of #108 of the Wildlife act seems to outline this.

Regulations by Lieutenant Governor in Council

(3) Without limiting subsection (1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:
(a) controlling the transportation in British Columbia of wildlife or fish or parts of either;
(b) defining methods and devices for trapping and the conditions under which and areas in which trapping may be carried on by a licensed trapper;
(c) providing for the conditions for a person or association to organize or carry on an operation for the purpose of hunting wildlife on property owned or controlled by the person or association and regulating the hunting of wildlife on the property of the person or association;
(d) prescribing the conditions under which boats, aircraft, motor vehicles or snowmobiles may be used for the purpose of hunting, trapping, taking or viewing wildlife or for angling;
(e) specifying open seasons or closed seasons, or both, for a sex, age or species of wildlife;
(f) prescribing the hours of the day or night during which the hunting of wildlife is prohibited or allowed;
(g) respecting the selection, by an auction or other means, of applicants who qualify under section 42 for registration of a trapline;
(h) prescribing restrictions on the manner in which fish caught by angling may be dressed or packed and limits on the amount of fish or fish parts possessed by a person at a place other than at a private residence;
(i) respecting the information and undertakings to be included in fur management plans and requirements for the renewal and amendment of fur management plans;
(j) prescribing licences, permits or stamps that, in addition to an angling licence, must be held to angle for or to catch and retain a designated species of fish or to angle in a designated area of British Columbia;
(k) prescribing tags that must be attached in the prescribed manner to fish caught by angling;
(l) prescribing an offence under a specified provision of this Act, or a regulation under this Act, as an offence for the purposes of
(i) section 84 (1) (a) (ii),
(ii) section 84 (1) (b) (ii), or
(iii) section 84.3 (2);
(m) prescribing a species of wildlife as dangerous wildlife;
(n) for any purpose contemplated by this Act.

gitnadoix
08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
So that does not close the river to boats only to hunting by boat, which I would assume would only happen if they wanted to dramatcialy reduce harvest rates or pannder to the Guides etc.

Barracuda
08-18-2009, 01:25 AM
It it would control how it is used by hunters or fishers or anything in support of hunting or fishing.
That would leave only sightseeing (but not looking at wild life lol!) ,exploration or commerce.

Kinda scary if you think about it cause in one fowl swoop we could lose access to an area by boat if the intended access is to support hunting or fishing in any way shape or form.

not to mention thanks to the baby boomers we have the "not withstanding" clause which in effect means we have no inalienable rights :lol:

blacklab
08-18-2009, 07:21 AM
If the area guides want it closed they'll find a way to get it closed.

GoatGuy
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
On the other hand it would be pretty easy for the provincial govt to impose restrictions on transporting of hunters or equipment for hunting by jet boaters just like how they do for other vehicles.

It already happens.

There's one river in the NW corner of the Province, anyone guess which one it is?

08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
It already happens.

There's one river in the NW corner of the Province, anyone guess which one it is?

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/tatshens/#Management