PDA

View Full Version : Day Pack

Walksalot
08-16-2009, 09:42 AM
My day pack is an external framed pack made by Nimrod, fashioned out of aircraft aluminum and it weighs 7.5 lbs empty. How does that compare to others hunters are using.

frenchbar
08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
I use the 2800 badlands like it a lot fits me great and can pack a pretty good load if need be,i beleive its around 5 pds empty .Going to get the 4500 next and give the 2800 to my sons.

squamishmiles
08-16-2009, 10:23 AM
badlands super day, first season with it. we'll see how it works out

Dirty
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Anybody ever thought of using a bare pack frame and strapping a smaller bag to it? To me that would make more sense, especially if you are hiking back into an area where you would need to haul your meat, cape, and antlers/horns back out.

Gateholio
08-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Anybody ever thought of using a bare pack frame and strapping a smaller bag to it? To me that would make more sense, especially if you are hiking back into an area where you would need to haul your meat, cape, and antlers/horns back out.

That is what my friend steve (proguide66) does. I've done that a few times, too, although I gave away my packframe to a buddy a while ago.

Day packs depend on what you are hunting, where, and how close you are to a road.;)

Ron.C
08-16-2009, 10:51 AM

I thought of doing exactly that when instead of looking for a day pack over 4 years ago. But I figured if I can get an internal frame pack that will let me carry the first quarter out, then bring my pack frame back in for the rest of the trips, that would do fine.
I ended up with that Badlands 2200. great pack. Yes I would much rather carry out meat on an external frame pack, but this pack is much more comfortable/quiet than my frame pack. I did pack out an entire whitetail doe with it last fall. Worked very well. I have a few blood stains that I can't quite get out now, but it adds to the character of the pack;)

Dirty
08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Although I find the daypacks like the Badlands Superday useful, I don't find them practical for myself. It seems like they have enough room for a rain jacket, spotting scope, lunch, and other odds and ends. However, if you put something down, you are coming back and wasting a trip one way with meat or other goods. I find the Superday more useful for leisure hiking and scouting, where you take bare bones food and water for the day.

Walksalot
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Most of the time we are a ways back in the bush and I would far sooner come out with a quarter than have to walk back to the truck for a pack board. Granted, not every time one walks into the bush one gets an animal but I have been the route where I had a little day pack and was lucky enough to bag an elk and carried the liver on the first trip out.
Every year I try to cut some weight on my pack but end up with a full day pack weighing 20-25 lbs. Not much when one starts out but at the end of the day that the shoulders sure feel it.
I like the external pack board because in the early fall one has to move once the animal is down and all I have to do is unclip the pack and strap on a quarter.

Gunner
08-17-2009, 09:58 PM
I use the Kifaru Daystalker.I have the fold down cargo tray/seat on it,and it will pack a quarter(but I can't!).Great little pack tho'. Gunner

nieves
08-17-2009, 10:14 PM
i bought the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Pack & Frame (weight: 9 lbs, 15 oz. (frame and pack). Capacity: 5,000-cubic inches) for my bf on his bday. i guess when hes back from moosing ill find out how he likes it :P

Amphibious
08-18-2009, 06:52 AM
I love my Eberlestock X1.

Rubicon500
08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Got a barneys and a eberlstoke J107. The barneys stays home but comes out for sheep hunts, cant get a better daypack/2-3 day back pack then the 107. Stays nice and compact till you dump something, then opens right up and can fit a hole deer in no problem. Itll be a heavy trip but the packs still comfy loaded right up and wont have any problems with it breaking.