PDA

View Full Version : Reg 4 Moose Success

300H&H
08-15-2009, 10:18 PM
With this year being the first year in a long time for moose in reg 4, what do you think the success rate will be ? Great/good/fair/poor/awful.
And which area will be the best to hunt ?

Don't worry, Im not fishing for a new area. This year I got a LEH bull in reg 3-12. Woo hoo !

bowhunterbruce
08-16-2009, 05:42 AM
This year I got a LEH bull in reg 3-12. Woo hoo !

congrats, you should do good with that one.

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2009, 07:06 AM
In region 8 with a combo of LEH and spike/fork like the Kootenays now has, days per kill has been between 80 and 100 days the last few years, and success has been 8 - 9%. Keep in mind that is LEH and S/F combined, sorry I can't separate the two, but you can be confident that LEH success rates skew it upward, as LEH success is about 25%.

Region 3 is 57 - 72 days per kill and 11 - 13% success, but region 3 has a lot better LEH program than region 8.

So, spike/fork success is likely in the 5 - 7% rate. Not really what I would plan a special, exclusive trip around, but I wouldn't be there during the season without a moose tag in my pocket! ;) The local hunters are generally the ones who benefit most from the spike/fork in regions 3 and 8 as a by-product harvest while out deer hunting.

The Omineca (7A) is what should serve as the moose management model for the rest of the province with ~25% success rates and ~30 days per kill, and fully 52% of BC's total moose harvest. :shock: We need hunters to demand that model for the rest of the province.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-16-2009, 08:02 AM
We may have won and got the immie season in Reg 4 but I think the GO's also won with the fact the MU's with the most elk pressure/population only have a 5 day overlap of the moose/elk seasons.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/region_4.pdf

That will certainly reduce the opportunistic harvest of immies.

SSS

Devilbear
08-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Some PEACEFUL blockades of GOs and their foreign "trophy" killers might well help US to win, for a change.

We need to get a LOT more agressive in protecting OUR rights, resources and culture here in B.C. and in Canada, as a whole. This seems to work for the Indians, so, if you can't beat 'em................

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
We may have won and got the immie season in Reg 4 but I think the GO's also won with the fact the MU's with the most elk pressure/population only have a 5 day overlap of the moose/elk seasons.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/region_4.pdf

That will certainly reduce the opportunistic harvest of immies.

SSS

Yep. How much pull does a Bio-turned-GO have at an FHAC meeting to get what he/she wants with his/her former workmates?

How did twice the number of hunters successfully hunt for several decades with GOS 3 point elk, GOS any forked or BIGGER moose, with longer seasons and absolutely NO conservation concern? Hell, we even had GUNS with scopes...and MAGNUMS and 4x4 trucks too! :eek:

S/F is a small bone thrown to the dogs. We have been beaten into submission and rejoice at a two week, 5% success season. :frown:

Oh yeah, the GOABC has been actively lobbying against the region 4 S/F season. :mad:

Devilbear
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
We have a VERY simple choice, here and we NEED to make it damm soon.

The GOABC WILL grow stronger and richer and WILL eliminate OUR hunting UNLESS we stop the flow of $$$$$ that supports them. That means an absolute and total BAN on ALL foreign hunting in B.C. ; this is the ONLY method that WILL work.

Geez, a former MOE Bio as a GO and another as a "consultant" to the West Kootenay GOs....man, WHAT integrity, what REAL class....NOT!

I wonder how "Anna" got that camp up in the Elk, just before Tobermory.....yeah, just like the BCFS types with long "leases" on Kootenay Lake beaches.......same old bullschitt!

08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
In region 8 with a combo of LEH and spike/fork like the Kootenays now has, days per kill has been between 80 and 100 days the last few years, and success has been 8 - 9%. Keep in mind that is LEH and S/F combined, sorry I can't separate the two, but you can be confident that LEH success rates skew it upward, as LEH success is about 25%.

Region 3 is 57 - 72 days per kill and 11 - 13% success, but region 3 has a lot better LEH program than region 8.

So, spike/fork success is likely in the 5 - 7% rate. Not really what I would plan a special, exclusive trip around, but I wouldn't be there during the season without a moose tag in my pocket! ;) The local hunters are generally the ones who benefit most from the spike/fork in regions 3 and 8 as a by-product harvest while out deer hunting.

The Omineca (7A) is what should serve as the moose management model for the rest of the province with ~25% success rates and ~30 days per kill, and fully 52% of BC's total moose harvest. :shock: We need hunters to demand that model for the rest of the province.

In the EK MU's the success rate is going to be far lower then it is in Regions 3 and 8 for the spike/fork GOS due to the season timing and opening date. SSS hit the nail right on the head, it will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I don't think it's anywhere near the opportuinity we enjoy in other regions. Would you believe the RAC was asked for input on these season dates on May 13th, about a month or more after MOE Cranbrook had already sent their regulation change proposals to Victoria...!!!! Guess what their reasoning was: to reduce incidental kills on elk and bighorn sheep, isn't that something, we are over run with elk, residents only use 65% of their bighorn allocation, and what do you think the actual spatial overlap is between bighorn sheep and moose...? I don't think I ever heard of a moose hunter incidentially harvesting a bighorn in the EK, and I've lived in the EK for 45 years....!