PDA

View Full Version : After the sheep is down

goatdancer
08-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Looking for advise on what to do after the sheep is down. I'm talking about a hike in hunt with at least a 2 day hike out. Do you salt the cape on site and wait for time to let the salt do it's thing? How do you roll up the cape to keep it clean during the pack out? How do you keep the meat from spoiling in the heat? I know there are lots of experienced sheep hunters on this site so I'd appreciate any tips on caring for the cape and meat. Thanks.

08-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow,
your opening up a can of Worms here.....

Tons to learn, First off take too much cape, I mean behind the shoulders and round back and brisket. Skin out the head, careful around bases of horns, turn ears inside out, careful with the eye lids ..... right to the gums, split the lips and cross check them get as much surface fat off all surfaces of inner hide, hike in at least 2 - 3 pounds of capeing salt. grind the salt into the hide ... every where, use salt sparingly, roll up and drain the next morning, rub again more salt in. Try to avoid dirt where ever you can, salt it on plastic so you can recover spilt salt. repeat the process until you can get it in a freezer, tanner or taxidermist. Be very careful to do this right or your hair will slip off your mount years later ......

ask your taxidermist before you go .....

WAY TO MUCH TO SAY AND LEARN HERE

As for all the de-boned meat, packed in cheese cloth, pillow case material, cooled well over a shaded creek or packed in snow pack, lots of different opinions here too, ton's to learn for you.

Good luck though.. thats it in a nut shell.

CT

Wild Images
08-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Check out this thread

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37285