PDA

View Full Version : November Moose Hunting

Sooke Hunter
08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I've got an LEH authorization for a bull moose in region 3 - Nov 1 - 30. We are planning to hunt from November 9 to 20...primarily chasing mule deer. Never had any experience hunting bulls in November.....any tips/techniques would be appreciated. Thanks!:D

stroh72
08-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Whats the sub region?? I know in a few places in region 3 the late moose hunt can be great. As for techniques I think if you find one you'll find 2 or 3. Where I hunt in Nov. they seem bunched up, hunkered down and prepping for winter. I would have cut that tag easily every year for the last 5 or so. No different than any other type of hunting look for sign, keep your eyes open and if nothing move on.

muleyman
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I have had two late moose draws in region 3 over the years filled both,find cutblocks walk lots, early morning seemed the best tracks easier to find in Nov, Bulls will often will be found together that time of year good luck.

4 point
08-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Can be real tough to find as they really hunker down in the timber recovering from the rut and getting ready for winter. They also don't migrate down until the snow is enough to push them. So when it is easy access for us their up high and when the snow gets depper up top they slowy move down but then our access is harder. So November can be a challenge. What area you got the tag for?

Sooke Hunter
08-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for replies guys!! I'll be in 3:17.....:-)

Moose72
08-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Well i seem to find them out feeding hard after the rut. They are in cutblocks and willow patches. Some tend to hit a second rut but most seem to be just replenishing. Pretty good hunt to have.

4 point
08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Good draw to have. Cover lots of ground early in the morning is best and late afternoon 2nd choice.

Ken the Kanuck
08-14-2009, 09:27 PM
3-17 A or B?

KTK

Sooke Hunter
08-14-2009, 10:59 PM
3-17 A or B?

KTK
Ken....I don't think 3:17 is split......the LEH authorization is for all of 3:17.:???:

Ken the Kanuck
08-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Your are right, a brain fart upon my part. I was thinking of 3-31.

I am however familar with the area and I have never seen any moose in 3:17 as for the most part it is dry country. Taking a quick look at the map included in the LEH newspaper 3-17 would appear to be bordered by Hwy. 99 to the west and the north as far as Upper Hat Creek road which is on the east and I suspect the trans Canada to the south between Lytton and Spences Bridge roughly ( these old eyes are guessing a bit ).

Now if I am correct there are some wetter spots in that countrywhich may hold moose. Down towards Lytton you have a road which goes up through Botanie Valley, meanders around by Ruddicks dam and heads back down to the Lytton - Lillooet hwy. along a crek called " Iliwusskin " [ spelling is wrong ]. Naturally the area up top around the lakes/dam are the wettest, but there is an old road over the mountains back of Ruddick's dam which will take you over to Upper Hat Creek and into the back of the ranchers land. I believe that you can also get back to Venables valley but I have never gone that way.

On the west side of the ranchers land along Upper Hat Creek you can drive ( 4 x 4 ) along an old road which comes out on the Finley Creek road ( I thinking that's the name ) which is close to the junction of the Upper Hat Creek road and hwy. 99. This old road holds some interest as creek do cross itin numerous spots ( atleast for that country ) and logging roads head up to the west, you are bordering the rancher's land to the east so you should not be shooting there without permission. Where the old road hits the Finny creek road there are some small ponds and water if you turn left.

Now the next area to talk about is above Pavilion lake towards Gibb's creek. There are some saltponds up top but they were pretty dry about 2 weeks ago ( not much water at all ). There is a small lake up top but I would have to fax you a map if you are interested as it's off a skidder trail. There is an old book about this area where a young Indian boy and his white friend shoot a moose in that country and I have heards of a moose being shot up there about 15 or 20 years ago. So it is possible. There are lots of roads up there but you cannot connect to the other side of the mountain towards Gibb's creek as the road is decommissioned.

But if you drive around past Pavilion Indian village and go up the Kiethly Creek road, you can hook up to the Tom Cole road which will take you back towards Gibb's creek but very high up. On the way up ( about a mile and a half past the Quiggly Holes ) there is a road which heads north and will take you down to a creek and a old homestead with some meadows which might hold a moose.

There are a few more close spots but if I am correct in thinking 3-17 is bordered in the north by hwy. 99 then there is no sense telling you about them unless you want to look for immatures.

HTH
KTK

Ken the Kanuck
08-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Gud speling and gramar, eh?:oops:

KTK

Sooke Hunter
08-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Your are right, a brain fart upon my part. I was thinking of 3-31.

I am however familar with the area and I have never seen any moose in 3:17 as for the most part it is dry country. Taking a quick look at the map included in the LEH newspaper 3-17 would appear to be bordered by Hwy. 99 to the west and the north as far as Upper Hat Creek road which is on the east and I suspect the trans Canada to the south between Lytton and Spences Bridge roughly ( these old eyes are guessing a bit ).

Now if I am correct there are some wetter spots in that countrywhich may hold moose. Down towards Lytton you have a road which goes up through Botanie Valley, meanders around by Ruddicks dam and heads back down to the Lytton - Lillooet hwy. along a crek called " Iliwusskin " [ spelling is wrong ]. Naturally the area up top around the lakes/dam are the wettest, but there is an old road over the mountains back of Ruddick's dam which will take you over to Upper Hat Creek and into the back of the ranchers land. I believe that you can also get back to Venables valley but I have never gone that way.

On the west side of the ranchers land along Upper Hat Creek you can drive ( 4 x 4 ) along an old road which comes out on the Finley Creek road ( I thinking that's the name ) which is close to the junction of the Upper Hat Creek road and hwy. 99. This old road holds some interest as creek do cross itin numerous spots ( atleast for that country ) and logging roads head up to the west, you are bordering the rancher's land to the east so you should not be shooting there without permission. Where the old road hits the Finny creek road there are some small ponds and water if you turn left.

Now the next area to talk about is above Pavilion lake towards Gibb's creek. There are some saltponds up top but they were pretty dry about 2 weeks ago ( not much water at all ). There is a small lake up top but I would have to fax you a map if you are interested as it's off a skidder trail. There is an old book about this area where a young Indian boy and his white friend shoot a moose in that country and I have heards of a moose being shot up there about 15 or 20 years ago. So it is possible. There are lots of roads up there but you cannot connect to the other side of the mountain towards Gibb's creek as the road is decommissioned.

But if you drive around past Pavilion Indian village and go up the Kiethly Creek road, you can hook up to the Tom Cole road which will take you back towards Gibb's creek but very high up. On the way up ( about a mile and a half past the Quiggly Holes ) there is a road which heads north and will take you down to a creek and a old homestead with some meadows which might hold a moose.

There are a few more close spots but if I am correct in thinking 3-17 is bordered in the north by hwy. 99 then there is no sense telling you about them unless you want to look for immatures.

HTH
KTK
Thanks for your info Kenny:).......just curious whether ponds/wet areas (usually spots where moose tend to be) will be relevant in mid November as they are usually frozen by this time. Suppose that these generally wet areas and even when completly iced up would still provide the preferred food source....willows etc.:confused: Your thoughts???

Ken the Kanuck
08-15-2009, 04:19 PM
In dry country cover can be a problem and the increased growth in wetter areas can provide this and a additional food supply.

But typically I associate moose with wetter rather than arid areas.

November is typically a month of change. I have seen it raining at the beginning and -28 at the end of the month. Remember this country has cactus growing in the valleys, so you will probably have the best chance higher up.

I have seen sign in the higher country but have never sighted a moose.

Where is it exactly you are thinking of hunting?

KTK

P.S. That book I was talking about is called " The Glad Season " and you might be able to find it on eBay or something.

Moose72
08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
There is alot of high country there with good access and there are moose in there. Shouldn't be to hard to find an ol swamp donkey in there.

Sooke Hunter
08-15-2009, 10:27 PM
In dry country cover can be a problem and the increased growth in wetter areas can provide this and a additional food supply.

But typically I associate moose with wetter rather than arid areas.

November is typically a month of change. I have seen it raining at the beginning and -28 at the end of the month. Remember this country has cactus growing in the valleys, so you will probably have the best chance higher up.

I have seen sign in the higher country but have never sighted a moose.

Where is it exactly you are thinking of hunting?

KTK

P.S. That book I was talking about is called " The Glad Season " and you might be able to find it on eBay or something.
Hey KTK .......thanks for your help...have you hunted 3:17 before? It sounds like you've been there before for sure. We hunt in 3:17 by accessing just south of clinton (through private land) and in about 10 km where we set up camp and hunt from there in many directions. Last year I saw 3 small bulls and a cow/calf on the power lines which gave me hope that I may be able to take one via LEH. Sorry that I can't be more descriptive as to where we hunt from.

How about mule deer?? Any tips?? Thanks pal, Ireally appreciate your feedback!!!!

Ken the Kanuck
08-15-2009, 11:13 PM
. We hunt in 3:17 by accessing just south of clinton (through private land) and in about 10 km where we set up camp and hunt from there in many directions. !!!!

You go in just before the Loon Lake turn off, through the corn field and through the ranchers property with the big building by the gate? If so then I know where you are. Yes there is some swamp and moose on top of that hill in the back of the big cut block. But is that 3-17? I haven't seen any moose under the power line, they may be down in the valley where it crosses over Maiden creek. But just east of there is posted land and I have not entered it. If you head south, up the road as it switch backs ounder the power line you will come to a small lake/pond which normally holds some ducks ( there is a camp in the bush just to the north of the lake ). This lake is pretty salty ( I found a dead cow carcass there a couple of years ago ). But as you come up to the power line instead of turning left ( south ) to get to that small lake continue west and further up the hill. You will notice that a fence line comes in from your left about 1/2 way up. Follow that fence line south and you will come to a couple of sweet water pondslakes and there are muleys in there.

I have hunted the power line as far as I could go north towards Clinton, but it comes to one steep drop off ( I think you can see Kelly Lake and Clinton from there ) never saw any moose but there were some nice big blues up there.

Good luck in there I thought you were south of hwy. 99.

Ken

Gilmore
08-16-2009, 04:55 AM
I've taken 2 moose in Nov. on LEH draws in reg. 3 and found pretty much what others have stated. If you find 1 likely there will be 2 or maybe 3 bulls together. They are tired and hungry from the rut and with the cold coming eating and sleeping is all they are doing.

Where I was hunting them they were in tall willow and slide alder and found that they would move around a bit feeding in the AM and then lay down right in there feeding spot. They would get up occasionally during the day to eat but wouldn't move much and that made them next to immpossible to spot. So find them early and if you can't get to them right away and they dissapear on you be patient likely they are still there just laying low, and will likely appear right in the same spot you last saw them at some point.

Sent you a PM on Hat Creek.

Chad

08-16-2009, 07:16 AM
High willow patches, back of Murray Cr. and Blue Earth Lk. old log outs up high, take a ATV or Sled late, they are there. Used to get them myself, tough steep place with willow shoots, You'll likely earn it if you get it. Amazingly enough, one of them had a good spread of 51 inches, not bad for a Spences Bridge all terrain moose.

Good luck to you.
CT

Sooke Hunter
08-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!:D:D Has anyone tried any calling at this time of year? Cow call or passive bull call?? Second rut??

Sooke Hunter
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!:D:D Has anyone tried any calling at this time of year? Cow call or passive bull call?? Second rut??

What kind/make of call do you guys use and are there any good technique videos to watch????;)

Ken the Kanuck
08-17-2009, 05:45 AM
What kind/make of call do you guys use and are there any good technique videos to watch????;)

Foxer gave me one called " Moose Talk "a few years ago. Now I don't know enough about calling to judge if it is good or not, but if you want I can try to find it and make you a copy.

KTK

stroh72
08-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't think the calling will do anything other than blow your cover. Spot and stalk look for anything, ears, feet, horns.. Remember these boys are rehabilitating after 6 weeks of partying. As for footage and videos, you can spend days ( trust me ) on youtube. Some amazing footage for all your hunting needs.

Moose72
08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Calling wont hurt. The cows that never took during the RUT will be trying again. Seen it, done it. I've had bulls grunting and chasing cows around on november 19th while rattling for muleys.

Sooke Hunter
08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks again you guys....I appreciate your input!! Still unsure of what type of call (cow/bull) to make at this time of year. What time duration would you suggest between calls. I suppose You tube should give me lots of examples but am not sure which call I should try to replicate.

Sooke Hunter
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Want to know what kind of moose call to use in November to draw a bull out of hiding......appreciate your help!!!!

08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Don't be too aggressive with your calling, just some cow calls. By November the bulls are just trying to recover and aren't looking for a fight.

Sooke Hunter
08-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Don't be too aggressive with your calling, just some cow calls. By November the bulls are just trying to recover and aren't looking for a fight.

Thanks .270......makes sense!!!!:smile::smile:

Sooke Hunter
08-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey guys......thanks again for all your help!!!! How about mule deer ?? Any thoughts on where in 3:17 I should concentrate my efforts?:smile: What about whitetail??? Should I buy a tag?? If so, where do they hang out??.....never seen one there yet. (the regs allow a whitetail buck in 3:17).:idea:

squamishmiles
08-22-2009, 06:45 AM
thanks for all the info, got a moose tag for 3-32 in nov. also have a doe tag same place and time

sparkes3
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
lots of good info here got any for 3-31 big bar lake and above

bearhunter338-06
10-12-2009, 10:37 PM
got a shared draw for 3-26