PDA

View Full Version : Elk insight

stroh72
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Well I just spent 4 hrs reviewing old threads looking for relevant information pertaining to elk habitat,and still have a few unanswered questions. I've had the good fortune to have been drawn on the Island in 1998 and spent a few years up the highway chasing elk as well. I am heading into the WK on Sept 8 and just curious on elevations and aspects, not alot of talk out there. I know its going to be hot so I'm thinking high northern aspects lots of water. Am I over thinking this? What elevations have worked for you??

WKCotts
08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
MU? LEH? its not a small area

rocksteady
08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
In my experience, in years like this one (lots of rain, lots of feed) the elk are difficult to pattern....

In a drought year, I find its easier to locate the elk and pattern them......Less general feed and less water sources...

You will find them at all elevations, aspects and timber types...You have to pound the ground until you either see them or get really good sign...From there you have to go ninja to be there when they come back/through...

stroh72
08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
GOS September 10 Within 40 km North of Creston..

Vader
08-13-2009, 05:46 PM
You are in the East Kootenays then..
Google earth is your friend.. look for north east and north slopes with big timber and some meadows or slides around..and water close by when it's hot.
Or just find a friendly farmer or 2 on the flats..

Jetboater
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
when we used to go elk hunting for ten days we found the first five were always finding the elk... the last five were for killing elk... now I go for 15-20 days as I know my chances are great to kill a decent bull... they will be in all sorts of different elevations... I found early in the season where we hunt they are in the sub alpine ... and sometimes with the goats... later they seem to get on the move and drop down into the valleys... depends on what you are looking for...find the cows and you should find the bulls....

hunter1947
08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
I cover plenty of ground till I find elk ,lots of walking will pay off at the end.