PDA

View Full Version : heavier arrows more forgiving?

5/10/85
08-13-2009, 06:11 AM
I bought a few cheap ($4.50) carbon arrows at wal-mart in the states to see how they shoot. They are an inch longer and a little heavier (I think they're called "Wolverine 6070", as if anyone's going to recognize that). They do shoot about 1 1/2 inches lower at 30 yards than my other arrows, but one thing I do notice is that my grouping is much better with them than my regular lighter arrows (consistently). Just a mental thing, or is the heavier arrow more forgiving? Any thoughts?

Bow Walker
08-13-2009, 09:11 AM
First thought is that the heavier arrows aren't affected as much by whatever jitters that are imparted into your shot sequence just at the moment of release. I guess you could say that they are more forgiving for that reason.

They'll certainly pack more of a punch (KE) when they hit.

willyqbc
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
The heavier arrow will most likely be a heavier spine, there is a possiblity that your lighter arrows were underspined and coming off the bow like a wet noodle....this would account for the better groups with a more properly spined arrow. Not saying for sure that is the answer as i don't know your set-up or what your other arrows were.

Chris

Bowzone_Mikey
08-13-2009, 09:40 PM
The heavier arrow will most likely be a heavier spine, there is a possiblity that your lighter arrows were underspined and coming off the bow like a wet noodle....this would account for the better groups with a more properly spined arrow. Not saying for sure that is the answer as i don't know your set-up or what your other arrows were.

Chris

I would suspect this is the case as well

Mad Medic
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Here's a little reading for you:
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Dr.-Ed-Ashby-W26.aspx

G'luck. :wink:

08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
First thought is that the heavier arrows aren't affected as much by whatever jitters that are imparted into your shot sequence just at the moment of release. I guess you could say that they are more forgiving for that reason.

They'll certainly pack more of a punch (KE) when they hit.

Actually, KE is less of a factor than momentum. If a heavy slow arrow, and a fast light arrow have the same KE, the heavier arrow will have greater momentum = better penetration

Mad Medic
08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
See some of the penatration videos on Ashby arrow set-ups, pass-throughs on elephants lol!

willyqbc
08-19-2009, 10:09 AM
First thought is that the heavier arrows aren't affected as much by whatever jitters that are imparted into your shot sequence just at the moment of release.

Just a few thoughts on this based on what we have seen working with kids in our junior program.

The heavier arrow may well amplify the jitters/wobbles etc. that you may have at release. Reason for this is simple....given same poundage/draw length etc, the heavier arrow will take longer to come off the bow than the lighter arrow. The longer the arrow is on the string the longer you have to influence the bow. This is one of the reasons a short brace bow is less forgiving than a high brace bow, the arrow stays on the string for extra time. Now this difference will be measured in micro seconds but it is amazing how much you can influence a shot in that time. This effect is amplified for archers just starting out.....the higher the skill level the less effect this has.....which is why top archers can get away with a short brace bow that a beginner would find very difficult to shoot. In our Junior program we often see kids shooting VERY heavy for the poundage arrows, if possible we move them into a lighter arrow that is still spined well and almost 100% of the time their groups improve immediately just because they don't have as long to influence the bow during the shot.

Just my opinion
Chris