PDA

View Full Version : fishing notice for non-tidal waters

drakfero
08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=119214&ID=recreational

what is your opinion?

drakfero
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
As we all have "same" rights I wanna be gillnet fishing too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last time I was fishing from the shore (legally like everybody) a small boat came with "eaglefeathers" and thei put the net across half of the Fraser river that we could not catch a sh!7!!! And than some "experts" are crying there is no fish spawning , HA HA HA!!! NOT!!!

winchester284
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I think the notice was put out so that DFO can ultimately close the river to all salmon fishing. As a result of putting out this notice they will be able to point to the fishermen using non-selective methods as being the reason that they had to close the river... They could have made it illegal to bottom bounce but they don't have any staff on the river to enforce it.

Although the C&R of sockeye likely causes some mortality they already have one year of studies (4 more to go) which shows that there is less than 2% mortality. Even if the sporties catch and release 1% of the sockeye heading upstream (likely very high) and 2% of them die as a result that's .02% mortality. In other words out of 1,000,000 sockeye going upstream 200 will die as a result of encountering a C&R fisherman. $@$&!! one FN net catches more than that in a day!

There is a lot of pressure from the FN groups to shut down the river to the sports fishermen if the FN's can't fish. But that is a whole can of worms.... :-?

hunterofthedeer
08-13-2009, 12:40 AM
we talked to some natives on the naughtly river who use a net occasionally and they said they are barley catching anything they said that other natives fished around hells gate and slaughtered the sockeyes

betteroffishing
08-13-2009, 07:27 AM
well i guesse they were entitled to their entitlements

swamper
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Don't you just get a little tired of it after a while??

Leaseman
08-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't you just get a little tired of it after a while??

Yes and living down here where it is all happening is just plain BS..... I am usually on the river every weekend.... water has been high and dirty, low vis..... Tried spoons at creek mouths, tried the old bar fishing from shore and from the boat for a few days, many locations and nothing....

So a person goes and BB's and catches a couple of salmon.... maybe hooks a few socs along the way.....quick release and......

Then as you run the river, you watch the nets floating down, as they get to the end of their drift, the person hauling in the net has problems pulling it in as the floats are sagging just under the river surface due to the number of fish in the net...... make you bitter? Does for me that the DFO wants to blame the sports guys for the lack of fish.....:mad:

Dirty
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
It's coming to a point where everybody is going to have to admit they are wrong, and put differences aside to salvage what is left of the Fraser River sockeye stocks.

Going from runs of ~10 million to under 1 million fish in a couple of decades is absolutely disgusting. It is a sad sight.

I am betting that high seas fisheries and Alaskan fishermen are really taking a toll on our stocks. The Fraser River fish go all the way to Alaska to rear.

I can honestly say that I am ashamed at the greed of all parties involved with the Fraser River Salmon fisheries. Retaining salmon is something that we have all taken advantage of for far too long.

Oh well our ignorance and greed is what will facilitate the damming of the Fraser when there are no salmon left. Then we will all be screwed as the gov't collects money from our folly.

betteroffishing
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
again blaming the " greed " of the fraser river angler be they native or canadian is pure red herring . its the international {incl canadaian} commercial fleets that are taking their toll , the numbers dont lie and they state clearly that the problem is not where they go once they enter the rivers its that there not enterring the rivers at all .

silvertipp
08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=119214&ID=recreational

what is your opinion?
this notice comes out almost every year now no where does it state you cant bottom bounce & untill it does most people will continue flossing fish

dawn2dusk
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
We need one set of rules for all people. It does not work having nations within nations doing whatever they heck they like.

And the story about they were here first just does nt work for me. I was born here and should have the same rights they do.

THE SWEDE
08-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Some runs are above forcasts,figure that out.It seem the farther up the fraser water shed you go the harder hit the runs are.Just wonder if its the time the outgoing fish spend in the Fraser..Maybe effecting they're immune system or something.But Im no expert.Just guessing.

I do beleive a total blanket shut down is the best choice right now.Natives,Commercial and Recreation.To say the recreational fishermen dont have a affect on stocks is ridiculous.Ive seen lots of anglers killing fish and having no clue what they are.Beteween catch and release mortality which they caculate at about 2% and poor ethics it could be catastophic on a run that is only 10% of what is forecast.

I hate fishermen as much as I hate hunters..They've got all the answers:-P

goatdancer
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I hate fishermen as much as I hate hunters..They've got all the answers:razz:

Pre64
What are you doing on a hunting website if that is your philosophy?

silvertipp
Some runs are above forcasts,figure that out.It seem the farther up the fraser water shed you go the harder hit the runs are.Just wonder if its the time the outgoing fish spend in the Fraser..Maybe effecting they're immune system or something.But Im no expert.Just guessing.

I do beleive a total blanket shut down is the best choice right now.Natives,Commercial and Recreation.To say the recreational fishermen dont have a affect on stocks is ridiculous.Ive seen lots of anglers killing fish and having no clue what they are.Beteween catch and release mortality which they caculate at about 2% and poor ethics it could be catastophic on a run that is only 10% of what is forecast.

I hate fishermen as much as I hate hunters..They've got all the answers:-P

shut the river down for one year no fishing period and lets see what happens

THE SWEDE
I hate fishermen as much as I hate hunters..They've got all the answers:razz:

Pre64
What are you doing on a hunting website if that is your philosophy?

Notice the smiley face at he end???

THE SWEDE
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
shut the river down for one year no fishing period and lets see what happens

Wouldnt see any differance in a year.3 or 4 years minimum

silvertipp
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Wouldnt see any differance in a year.3 or 4 years minimum
i dis agree you should be able to get a good judgement call on the amount of fish that made it back to spawn based on previos records

THE SWEDE
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
i dis agree you should be able to get a good judgement call on the amount of fish that made it back to spawn based on previos records

Its the Mortality at sea that they think is the major problem

silvertipp
08-13-2009, 03:14 PM
than why worry about the river

betteroffishing
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
exactly my point silver , why worry about the rivers where the fish arent showing up , when the problem is happening on the open ocean where the fish are showing up just not living long enough to exit from. the truth is the worldwide consumer is the problem . the salmon stocks are just a precurser to the mass food shortages to come . mankind has doubled its life expectancy over the last century and were investing ever more in technologies to keep us alive and consuming for longer and longer times. we've chosen to play god but clearly are not up to the task. just my 2 c.

bighornbob
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I attended a salmon conservation conference that was well attended by FN chiefs, DFO, Gov etc etc. All the talks talked about how the salmon has gone from like a billion fish (or whatever) to a million and no one mentioned a closure. They are are still talking on how to share the resource and why have they crashed (over fishing, destruction of spawning habitat, river temperatures, climate change affecting ocean currents, ocean mortality etc). I even posed the question that to the common person the fish numbers have crashed and they are still trying to divide it up. I even said what happens if only 100 fish come back, are comercial guys going to get 10, native bands on the lower fraser get 15, mid fraser get 15, upper fraser get 15, sport fishermen get 15 and 30 are allowed to spawn. Becuase to the lamen person thats what it looks like.

You are probably not going to be shocked but I wasn't really given an anwser.

BHB

Eichelherr
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
1-at minimum...make fish farms illegal on the inside passage...or legislate some filerting process, so seawater going out of the farm doesnt contain sea-lice.
2- Send our fleets to dredege net waters around japan, until some agreement is made so that asian fishing trawlers will stop making money off of canadian tax and charity dollars harvesting hatchery salmon.
3- If FN groups want to traditionally fish for salmon... they should be allowed.... but only to use "traditional methods" home made wooden canoes, and wooden oars, and weave their fish nets from hair, or w/e they used to do.
4- Continue guide and recreational fishing... this takes in relatively little fish, for the amount of moeny it provides through tax dollars, and equipment bought.
5- Harbour Seal hunting... put a bounty on every hide dragged in. This should give commercial fisherman a finacial boost, aside from the obvious amounts of salmon it would save.
________
G-Power (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/G-Power)

Dirty
08-13-2009, 04:58 PM
1-at minimum...make fish farms illegal on the inside passage...or legislate some filerting process, so seawater going out of the farm doesnt contain sea-lice.
2- Send our fleets to dredege net waters around japan, until some agreement is made so that asian fishing trawlers will stop making money off of canadian tax and charity dollars harvesting hatchery salmon.
3- If FN groups want to traditionally fish for salmon... they should be allowed.... but only to use "traditional methods" home made wooden canoes, and wooden oars, and weave their fish nets from hair, or w/e they used to do.
4- Continue guide and recreational fishing... this takes in relatively little fish, for the amount of moeny it provides through tax dollars, and equipment bought.
5- Harbour Seal hunting... put a bounty on every hide dragged in. This should give commercial fisherman a finacial boost, aside from the obvious amounts of salmon it would save.

Yeah you have all the answers. You think guiding has no impact? Look at the amount of fish that are being taken at all these lodges along the coast. THey will not even admit to how much fish they are catching, and they were keeping logs in pencil so they could erase them. The amount of pounds coming out of the saltwater lodges is phenomenal. They should be regulated as a commercial fishery. IMHO, guiding in BC should be all catch and release, they are some of the worst exploiters on the coast.

Saying that everybody in the river should quit fishing is not a red herring. We should not be harvesting fish if it is unsustainable to do so. With the runs at the point they are at, they are not sustainable to harvest. It is like kicking a guy that is already down and out. Do we want to deliver the death blow in the river? I don't want to be part of that.

betteroffishing
08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
then we agree but i still dont think you go far enough , there should be no fishing off our coast either , a complete morratorium on fishing the north pacific. wake me up if i start to snore, cause thats a dream. but its the only answer that would stand a chance at working. if the river is the only body your going to close , its not worth the effort the few might as well feed off of the last years of the resources existence , to not eat them would be just wastefull.

THE SWEDE
08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
then we agree but i still dont think you go far enough , there should be no fishing off our coast either , a complete morratorium on fishing the north pacific. wake me up if i start to snore, cause thats a dream. but its the only answer that would stand a chance at working. if the river is the only body your going to close , its not worth the effort the few might as well feed off of the last years of the resources existence , to not eat them would be just wastefull.

Your brilliant.Destroy the genes for ever.I read your posts on the Alexandria Morton thread..with a name like betterofffishing i figured you'd care about the resource..Greed the trait of few..the demise of all

silvertipp
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
64 is the problem with the lack of fish more pertaining to sockey i thought the springs were in good shape if so the guides dont hurt the sockey runs?

THE SWEDE
08-13-2009, 08:10 PM
64 is the problem with the lack of fish more pertaining to sockey i thought the springs were in good shape if so the guides dont hurt the sockey runs?

I heard the chinook fishing of the west coast has been the best in 30 years.But alot of these fish are headed south to the Columbia ect,ect.As for guides most but not all look for the easiest way to hook fish.Bottom bouncing.Which as the DFO stated is not a selective fishery.

Bottom line is there are so many factors.Fisheries managment, habitat, weather ect ect.Shut it down,start from scratch.But the mentality that the recreational fishery does not impact stocks is B.S.In the perfect world we could walk across the river on the backs of fish and Gill netters would once again cruise the waters of the Fraser.But that aint goin to happen

I can give up a few table fish for the future of the resource,doesnt sound like that hard of a thing to give up.And despite what many think..Fishing and hunting is not a right...its a Privlage.

silvertipp
08-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I can give up a few table fish for the future of the resource,doesnt sound like that hard of a thing to give up.And despite what many think..Fishing and hunting is not a right...its a Privlage.[/qu

i gotta agree but i dont know if well ever see it

Devilbear
08-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I would prefer to see ALL fishing banned, except carefully regulated sports fishing by B.C. citizens, NOT merely "residents", EVERYWHERE in B.C. We USED to be able to eat fish as a regular conponent of our yearly diet BEFORE the giant dams, foreign fishing and the travesty of the "natural conservationists" using modern technology to take what they consider their "traditional rights".

Sports fishing is THE moneymaker and it should be the ONLY harvesting of fish allowed. If, combined with "closed system" fish farming, it would make it possible for BCers to eat the fish which belong to us.

Foreign hunting and fishing simply has no legitimate place here now, we need ALL of our resources for ourselves.

Deerwhacker
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Getting back on track , ive been flossing the fraser this year since they opened up springs. Water visibility has been way to poor to bar fish and im not going to stop flossing till they make me. out of about 11 times out ive hooked 3 sockeye and 10 springs. landed only 4 springs and all the sockeye ,I use 50 lb leader so the fight time on a soc is under a Minuit with the fish getting unhooked in the water.other guys Ive seen on my bar seem to get with the program and i havent seen to many bad handlings of socks.

betteroffishing
08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
well good on you for your honesty and congrats on landing 4 springs were they reds ?? what color wool were the biting on lol

betteroffishing
08-13-2009, 09:39 PM
pre , i think youv got me wrong , i do care , i just refuse to act as though using flea soap to wash a quarter my dog is gonna cure it of fleas . get the zealots blinders off and realise that doing something half assed { shutting down the rivers where the socks go to end their lives and leaving the oceans open to the DAILY rape and plunder of the internationsal fleets} is worse than doing nothing at all . closure of the river to those of us with one hook on one rod and reel may make it more proffitable for yet another comm guy to go out and intercept the thousands of the fish in the big deep that us sporties are not allowed to fish for. if the species isnt internationally protected , their fate is sealed , its just a matter of time , and in that time, my tongue in cheek comment, is that bc'ers might as well eat a portion of whats left of the resource , rather than saving it all for the wealthy american , european , and asian consumers.

bigshooter
08-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I hate everybody.

martyonthewater
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I hate everybody.
sounds like someone could use a hug:eek: Try fishing the vedder in a couple of weeks ,then you'll really know hate:roll:

drakfero
08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LksuKTD8y0o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LksuKTD8y0o)

:))))

drakfero
08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
faaak , its over.. I am gonna merry another women (nate..)-she will be ugly , but nobody will tell me when to fish..

Effective one hour after sunset Sunday August 16, 2009 until further notice, a no fishing for all Salmon species restriction will be in place from the Aggasiz / Rosedale Bridge upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC.Current run size estimates of Fraser River sockeye continue to be well below abundances required to provide a total allowable catch. The Department's priorities are to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the spawning grounds for conservation purposes. The Department is continuing to manage fisheries to minimize sockeye impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social and ceremonial purposes. Anglers fishing for chinook salmon in areas that remain open to salmon fishing are required to take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing activities are not impacting sockeye salmon. The Department is continuing to monitor the Fraser River to ensure compliance.Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead and sturgeon and other non-salmon species in this area remain open. In addition, recreational fishing opportunities on the Fraser River for pink and chum salmon are anticipated. .Variation order 2009-324 is in effect.Notes:For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH. Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0628
Sent August 14, 2009 at 1628

THE SWEDE
08-15-2009, 07:04 PM
faaak , its over.. I am gonna merry another women (nate..)-she will be ugly , but nobody will tell me when to fish..

Effective one hour after sunset Sunday August 16, 2009 until further notice, a no fishing for all Salmon species restriction will be in place from the Aggasiz / Rosedale Bridge upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC.Current run size estimates of Fraser River sockeye continue to be well below abundances required to provide a total allowable catch. The Department's priorities are to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the spawning grounds for conservation purposes. The Department is continuing to manage fisheries to minimize sockeye impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social and ceremonial purposes. Anglers fishing for chinook salmon in areas that remain open to salmon fishing are required to take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing activities are not impacting sockeye salmon. The Department is continuing to monitor the Fraser River to ensure compliance.Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead and sturgeon and other non-salmon species in this area remain open. In addition, recreational fishing opportunities on the Fraser River for pink and chum salmon are anticipated. .Variation order 2009-324 is in effect.Notes:For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH. Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0628
Sent August 14, 2009 at 1628

Toook them longer to implement than I thought.I feel they didnt go far enough.

Dirty
08-15-2009, 07:35 PM

You are so ignorant. Did it ever come to your attention that the fish that are returning to the river should be given the best opportunity to spawn? So just because the fish are going missing in the ocean, we should hammer what's left of them in the river? Your school of thought is that of the uneducated. You aren't intelligent enough to realize the problems we have with our natural resource. You sound like the typical redneck that wastes water, energy, and doesn't recycle because nobody else is doing it and you won't make a difference. LAME

betteroffishing
08-15-2009, 10:23 PM
got my grade 12 and some vocational , on a water meter and it saves me money , my hydro and terasen bills are lower than the average and on top of the blue bins my family produces and recycles i drive to my moms and pick hers up as the park she lives in doesnt have a recycling program , on top of this , i compost all my veg newspapers scraps etc , keep my own chickens for eggs and harvest fresh veggies throughout the growing season. but aside from EVERYTHING you just wrote in your personal attack on me you got me pegged as i did get a bad burn , therefore do have a red neck. my unwillingness to nod and agree with the status quo position of " well , weve got to do something " does not speak to my lack of education nor to my unwillingness to get off my ass and dop something worth doing , rather it speaks to my need to not come off feeling like another sheep . people , real people , living along the banks of the fraser will go hungry this year , as they did the year before and the year before that , and why ??? so that dirty and pre can feel as though they were real givers , all the while the only people they are "giving" to are short term commercial interests. pardon me for feeling as though humans should maybe come before fish. and ease up on the personal attacks , really they do nothing for your arguement but detract from it. its ok to disagree , and its ok to speak our minds, at least it used to be.

Deerwhacker
08-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Took a good ten minuets to get my last fraser spring of the year , roe is cureing up now, which is what I will be using the next time out for springs.
Btw, keep it on the down low but orange wool ;).

BIGHUNTERFISH
08-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I think it is a joke when I hear certain groups say they will go hungry this year if they cant catch sockeyes to sustain them selves for the winter.Are you people telling me you cant eat pinks or chums that are in abudance.Could it be that these species dont have any dollar value and that is the real issue hear.I dont see sea lice or ocean conditions effecting the other salmon species.

cmac
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
As always it comes down to the mighty dollar. Natives fight so hard for sockeye fisheries because they are the most valuable. I have seen natives standing on the street corner waving fish at passing cars trying to make a sale, it is disgusting. That is my resource and your resource they are exploiting, and it will soon be all gone weather sportsmen stop fishing or not. Shame on everyone who buys fish from natives.

Steeleco
08-16-2009, 12:16 PM
As much as it urkes me to see some Natives selling these fish as they do, ULTIMATELY if ALL the non natives didn't want to buy said fish on the cheap, they'd have no reason to catch more than they need.

Now lets get back to talking about fishing and not bashing!!