PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a BC resident Goat Hunting Partner...

cdn_outdoorsguy
08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Good evening,

I am a former resident of BC, now living and working in Calgary and a hardcore bowhunter. I am very interested in teaming up with a BC resident and planning a goat hunt in the Southeastern portion of the province...

I have lots of photos to share and would be happy to chat about my experiences to date and the details of the area I wish to hunt... Feel free to get in touch if interested!

Cheers

Ddog
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
hi there,,welcome to HBC,,,and the unwritten rule is you need to tell us all a joke.
i would love to go on a goat bowhunt, just need a year to get my heart back in shape. (i hope)

brad ferris
08-14-2009, 03:40 PM
i think you may run into a small snag if you want to hunt the kootnays.our goats are on a draw system here.as i understand it you would need to be a resident to apply.other species with a general open season you can buy a tag and have a resident accompany you.another option is to go through an outfitter.this can get a little expensive but if you are interested i can send you some information. i've guided a few hunters to billies and hunt them myself with a bow.it truely is a fantastic hunt. good luck

Stone Sheep Steve
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, I'm sure you will have to hunt one of the GOS areas in the province. I believe each region has their own rules as to what species and Canadian no-resident can hunt.
You may nee to contact the MOE for that info.

SSS

cdn_outdoorsguy
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Good morning guys, Thanks for the replies. I have researched the regs in detail and also own a home / grew up in the Kootenays - pretty familiar with the region. There are 2 zones that are General... Again, if anyone is interested in teaming up let me know!

Thanks

Devilbear
08-17-2009, 08:36 AM
This would be 2010 that you wish to hunt? I "might" be able to help and am a very experienced bushman, but, I am an "old" guy, now and I cannot hike as fast or quite as far as I used to do.

I know the Kootenays very well and where the trophy billies hang out in GOS areas.....VERY tough country, some of the most brutal in all of BC.

Where and when did you grow up here and, do you ever hunt with a rifle, or, would you do so, if, your bowhunt was just not happening?

I "think" that I probably could find you a goat worth shooting, but, I am no archer and would act more as a "free guide", as I love mountain hunting and firmly believe in CANADIANS sharing OUR resources, rather than having rich foreigners killing our game and enriching the members of the G.O.A.B.C.

So, give us some more details and we can probably help you.

Recordram
08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Just remember any resident who goes with you must hold a Permit to Accompany.

The Hermit
08-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Just remember any resident who goes with you must hold a Permit to Accompany.

AND BIG trophy fees apply if you actually take a goat as an out of province Canadian.

cdn_outdoorsguy
08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Good afternoon Devilbear... I appreciate your response! I grew up with a home in the Invermere area... Have hunted goats 2X in the Kootenays up the Horsethief and harvested nice billies both times with a rifle. Have also archery hunted with Harry McCowa 1X out of Terrace (now owned by Bolena and Lewis) and was unsuccessful.

I am pretty dedicated to getting a P&Y billy with archery equipment...

As far as age or pace... my experience is slow and steady wins the race, especially if we are in an area where we are not pressured by other hutners etc... which I know is the case for these areas, thus being open to a nonresident.

I will drop you an e-mail and we can start a dialogue offline.

Thanks

jimzuk
08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I have an LEH this year east of Invermere. Going to try to tag one with my bow as well.
Can't say as I know alot about the area so I don't think I have any info that would help you.

Jim

blackbart
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Any chance that cdn outdoorsguy has the first name of Gary?