PDA

View Full Version : early season crater mountain mule deer

Brew
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm planning on going to crater mtn for opening weekend. How is early season there. was going to do some scouting on my way home from penticton but cought a bug and came home. I'm planning on taking a new hunter there as well. I have never hunted there and I'm looking for some new terrain. A little info would be great.

bcfarmer
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
by opening day of deer season there will have been 17 sheep hunters and all their buddies walking all over that mountain. Basically the deer disperse and are as hard to find as the sheep!

I have no doubt that someone will tell you it is the place to go. All I am saying is not during sheep season. But to each their own so fill your boots.

BCF

bighornbob
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Like BCfarmer said, sheep season opens Aug. 25 and all the guys head up there. Also alot of hikers and their dogs use it for day hikes. I think it would be better once all the sheep hunts end.

BHB

08-12-2009, 03:36 PM
i have hunted crater a number of times and it is correct the seep hunters are up there 2 or three weekes prior spooking all the deer. the road up is bad and steep so if you have a quad use it but remember there is no vehicle's aloud on the spir roads just the main road.

Blainer
08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I was just up there last weekend to scout and only seen a couple does and no sheep.It is posted for no motorized access and the majority is hunted by foot and a quad is recommended for the roads up as it is some tough terrain.

dino
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
dont do it

GoatGuy
08-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Head north of the sheep country and you'll find the deer.

horshur
08-12-2009, 10:45 PM
there is other country to hunt up the ashnola.......heck we came out of there year ago on horses from the south slope side down webster creek the truck was parked further down the road....I dumped the pack and boxes climbed on bareback and jog the horse back to get the truck.....hit the dirt hard at speed when a nice 4 point jumped accross the road. Valley bottom.

David Heitsman
08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I hunted there for sheep for three days last year in early September and didn't even see a deer track. Saw a wolf and some ewes and lambs but no deer.
Maybe try later season or as mentioned go further down the road. I would look at Hedley or Stemwinder and go a bit further north.