PDA

View Full Version : Bugle call suggestions

Philcott
08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I am looking for suggestions for an elk bugle call to buy. I'm going for my first elk hunt this year and want to try calling and have been wondering what the good folks here have to say about different bugle calls.

It was suggested to me that I get a hoochie ma ma as a cow call and have ordered one of those.

Any and all thoughts on different calls are welcomed.

Thanks.

Phil

brotherjack
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
A "Power Bugle" is fairly easy to use.

todbartell
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
easiest bugle to use - Hunter Specialties 'Carlton' Mac-Daddy

pillpusher
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Check out the "Monarch" from Rocky Jacobsen

Philcott
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Dear admins.

Sorry, I should have posted this in the gear forum. I would move it if I knew how but I'm a simple country machinist not a forum guru.

hunter1947
08-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I Have used the reed mouth diaphragm the past 20 years of elk hunting ,it is for cow calling and bugling ,but hard to use.

There is one that I have tried and it is easy one to get good at and it is called the hyper hot cow call made by woods wise products ,it can come with a CD telling how to use it as for they do have on this CD an actual call in of a big bull elk ,it coast about 20 dollars US.

Jetboater
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
All the primos bugles are great.. and Thunder Bugle works really we ll as well... pic up some extra reeds... they alway break when you need it the most....

Caveman
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Thunder Bugle, the step up from the Power. A little more versatile to customize your sounds. Effortless to use

model88
08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I like either the Power Bugle or the Primos Terminator.

bozzdrywall
08-12-2009, 07:53 PM
reeds all the way put one in your mouth and dont take it out till you knock down an elk practice practice practice the reeds are the way to go. No call souds the same and with a reed you can do what ever you want from a soft cow call to a raging bull in full rut. i will put my life in a reed for calling in elk. bugles are good for location of a bull but for the fine art of getting him in close reeds all the way. PS throw away the h mamma they only make 3 sounds real elk make hundreds of sounds. Be real and you will have more encounters.

Duk Dog
08-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Last year I went through a pile of elk calls to figure out what would work for me. I settled on the Primos sonic dome double reed and an Elk Nut Chuckler bugle tube. Also watched and listened to some Primos instructional DVDs and Elk Nut CDs.

http://www.elknut.com/

hunter1947
08-13-2009, 05:18 AM
My first elk I shot 42 years ago I called him in with a 12 inch piece of 1 inch PVC tube with a wooden plug I made installed at the rear of the PVC pipe ,he came in like a freight train http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

CanuckShooter
08-13-2009, 05:23 AM
One vote for the Squeese Me cow call.....

Fisher-Dude
08-13-2009, 05:47 AM
My first elk I shot 42 years ago I called him in with a 12 inch piece of 1 inch PVC tube with a wooden plug I made installed at the rear of the PVC pipe ,he came in like a freight train http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

I still have some of the old bamboo ones my dad made from a rake handle. We killed many elk using those. I've also got one of the twisted-up conduit pipe ones as well. We never used a cow call until the 80s, yet we killed elk regularly that came in full speed to our bamboo calls. ;)

RockyMountainHunter1
08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Primos terminator.I mostly use diaphragm calls though. I prefer ther imperial plate triple and the sonic dome blue cuz u can make every elk sound u need with one of those.

bckev
08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I have a conduit twist pipe but it is not working anymore and I can't figure out why. Any body have any ideas?

Philcott
08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
How the heck is a guy to decide on a call when there are so many? I think if this year goes well I'll get a reed, a video and practice until I drive my wife nuts.

Thanks for the input. Straight shooting, boys and girls

sfire436
08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Primos terminator.I mostly use diaphragm calls though. I prefer ther imperial plate triple and the sonic dome blue cuz u can make every elk sound u need with one of those.

I second, it is a bit larger but very powerfull. I will be luging it around come the opener.

hunter1947
08-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Here are the elk calls that I use every year :cool:.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_235.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14998)

BlacktailStalker
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Wayne, did you switch it up? I remember you favoured the blue carlton reed.
Those sonic domes are way too small for my liking...
Primos red imperial plate is my fav, yellow single for cow talk and spike squeals.

Ron.C
08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
How the heck is a guy to decide on a call when there are so many?

Good point.

I'm in know way the best elk caller around, but I've called in some with some pretty off sounding calls. Sometimes just screwing up and making an aweful squeal, and sometimes getting a little too excited and blowing too much air across the call.

Last year I was hearing a bugle that I though was some "Newbie" blazing away on a bugle. Sounded horrible.
That was until I saw that "Newbie" He was actually a decent 5x5. I would of never pegged it for a live elk.

I think Hunter 1947 does it right. Lots of different calls as you don't know from one day to the next which will work best. And don't beat yourself up if you don't sound like one of those guys on the video's. I think the guys that say you have to sound just like "this or that" using a specific call are the ones selling the calls :shock:

I have a pretty wide assortment of calls that I use, and if what I'm using isn't working, I keep trying until I find something that does.

Vader
08-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Like 1947..I have one of everything.. from the old herters plastic, coiled gas pipe, jones with the metal reed, abe, challenger, power bugle, Berry, macdaddy, and more. Cow calls up the yazoo.. quaker boy, sceery, primos, bush in the bush, hyper hot, hoochie mamma and the list goes on..
My favorite and goto... old LD jones tube c/w desintegrating camo.. its so old but has best sound with preferred blue sonic dome reed. I have lots of reeds.. singles, doubles, triples, 2.5's, 1.5's and of every maker..
Too late in the year to learn the diaphram now.. I would buy the power bugle or macdaddy and any decent 2 decent cow calls not including the hoochie.. Prone to failure at critical times.
If you are going to learn the diaphram.. start in march.. whistle your way to and from work and anytime the wife is in the truck.. she'll love you for it.
Eventually you will have one of everything..

Fisher-Dude
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
My favorite and goto... old LD jones tube c/w desintegrating camo.. its so old but has best sound with preferred blue sonic dome reed. I have lots of reeds.. singles, doubles, triples, 2.5's, 1.5's and of every maker..

Another vote for Larry D. It was the first "graduation" from the old bamboo calls for me, and I've stuck with it. ;-)