PDA

View Full Version : new bowhunter

FlyFishBC
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
i have hunted for a few years now for grouse with a shotgun, and never got the chance to hunt deer, but soon i will be 18 and i'm quickly expanding my hunting knowledge and gear. i wish to start bowhunting not with a compound but a recurve, i admire the skill and practice it takes to hunt with a recurve and i'd like to start on targets, than small game, than hopefully one day some deer. where do i start, and what do i look for? is there a place i can go to figure out my drawlength, pull weight, etc? i live in the vancouver area. any advice or pointers from others bowhunters would be fantastic, thank you

Jehiah
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
one word: longbow.

hawkdog
08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
check out you local archery club to start. Our club in Smithers is great, they have extra recurve bows to try out and they are great at giving pointers. I would recommend going to a compound bow first as it is easy to pick and you sights etc. Then go to the recurve.

Big Lew
08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
If you live in the Vancouver area, the first item on your agenda should be finding a legal and safe place to practice. If you plan on using small (less than 2.2 acres) private property, please check the local by-laws. The fines and penalties are very high.

Bow Walker
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Go check out Boormans Archery in New West. They'll give you the right stuff.

FlyFishBC
08-14-2009, 04:53 PM
thanks guys really helpful tips i hope to become an awesome bow hunter one day

Tambo*
08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Try them all out if you can. Ask friends who bowhunt and find the style you like. Plus you'll have a fun day.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P1000692.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1000701.JPG

bowhunterbruce
08-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Go check out Boormans Archery in New West. They'll give you the right stuff.

x 2 boormans is the place to go and they will also tell ya where and when you can go shooting ,try to hit up as many 3d shoots as you can.the experience gained from these is one of the most valuable tools you can have next to real life experience.