PDA

View Full Version : My dog was attacked by a Raccoon tonight!

Paulyman
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Time to subtract a few racoons from the neighborhood!

I am sitting in my office tonight doing billing for my business and i hear what sounds like racoons,so i head outside to see what was going on and there are 5 of them up on the roof of my garage.My dog hates racoons,so of course he runs out and is barking like mad.I start the regular routine of spraying them down to act as a deterrent.I was succesful in getting all of the raccons out of my yard, when one racoon decides to make its way back into my yard and over the fence to come and attack my dog,i couldn't believe how ballsy this little ****er was,for fifteen seconds here i am chasing my dog with a racoon stuck to his back......in retrospect yes i know what your thinking what a sight! i finally poked the racoon off my dog and came down with one hard swing with a metal rake and missed,the sob got away.I checked my dog over and he only has some surface scratches,no bleeding or punctures(hard to believe yes)

Anyways it's time to get these pests out of my yard for good,does anybody here know where i can get a suitable trap?

FLHTCUI
08-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Stillwater Sports in Ladner or maybe Reliable will have one or can order one for you.
Then again a phone call to the City and complain about having your dog attacked by unlicensed raccoons, your dog is/has its tags right .
Hope all is well with your Dog and that ALL Shots are upto date as well.
Rob

hunterofthedeer
08-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Time to subtract a few racoons from the neighborhood!

Anyways it's time to get these pests out of my yard for good,does anybody here know where i can get a suitable trap?
High Powered Pellet Gun

Paulyman
08-11-2009, 11:56 PM
High Powered Pellet Gun

Any brands/models that come to mind?

Steeleco
08-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Word to the wise, I've tried trapping them and shooting them with my air gun. They make the most horrible noise when traped or injured. One that will have neighbours for blocks around looking to see what all the noise about.

We have a family of 5 that like to tap on the patio door to goat the dog into a scrap. She's a 100lb Rottie, but even she will come up short in a scrap with 5 of them.

mud-dog27
08-12-2009, 12:17 AM
for pellet guns see what ya can find locally with highpower they usually get the point and find somewhere else to go but they are crazy i cornered one at night in my carport by total fluke and he was not happy was interesting getting around that

freezerfiller
08-12-2009, 12:20 AM
slingshot, perfectly leagal yet with a ball bearing quite leathal. No dog will do well with a raccoon. My friend has two akitas over 120 pounds and three raccoons sent them to the vet. Clean out the dogs wounds with peroxide raccoons eat carrion and garbage.

silvertipp
08-12-2009, 12:38 AM
try a bow i had to remove acouple a few years back & believe me they scream like hell good clean shots to

bad arrow
08-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Coons are real tough, my buddy had an ignorant pitbull that got into a couple of scraps with them, he actually killed the first one but not until he was bleeding all over, and the second one got away after a big time fight. Live trap em.

Pete
08-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Dogs attacking Raccoons and then getting beat up is a fairly common occurance. Save yourself a lot of grief..... hire a professional to remove them

ratherbefishin
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I either shoot them with CB longs[right between the eyes] or use a live trap,a can of cat food works well.But don't mess with them, their cute bandit face image belies a vicious temperment

mrdoog
08-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Remember some pellet guns are considered firearms. Shooting in your area may be frowned upon.

Seabass
08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I've found live traps with cat food works just fine. Then they go out to the bush for the last time. Tough critters for sure. I've had to pull a couple coons off a hound or two, they can certainly mess up a dog if they get a hold of it, espeaclly if they get hold of the dog's face/head. A good dog will grab one by its neck/head and give it good death shake, killing it. Otherwise a coon can take a lot of bites from a dog(s) and give back too.

Good luck,

08-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Pound for pound 'coons rank right up there on the list of who's who on the "tough critter list". I remember in my youth catching one in a conibear trap.....the SOB was alive and full of attitude when l found him the next morning.
More recently we had a family of 'coons find the cat food in our house beside the open window we'd leave open for the feline. My wife thought they looked so "cute" sitting on the ramp built for the cat and coming in helping themselves. Tried as l might l could never catch them as they always heard me coming till l came up with a early warning trip wire..........when the shooting was done there was two dead, two wounded and one that was never seen again :)

hunter1947
08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Time to get the live cage trap set up and do away with these coons ,can cat food works well as for sardins..

08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Live traps do the trick. once caught there are easier ways of perminentaly getting rid of the animal. garbage can full of water works.

hunter1947
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I lived trapped 27 coons in two weeks using canned cat food.

pistolpete
08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
You can purchase a live trap for Racoons - Skunks - wild cat etc. Then fill a 45 gal drum with water & that will get rid of them one at a time.
Good Luck

leadpillproductions
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I had one in my shop on the sunshine coast when we lived there he was attacking my shop cat then came after me . bad mistake got him with a baseball bat .

Paulyman
08-12-2009, 10:20 AM
For sale!

Raccoon hides...PM if interested :)

bsa30-06
08-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I had one slice open my dogs face a few weeks ago.I swore if it came back it was as good as dead,but the rotten bugger hasnt come back.We have problems with skunks and racoons here, aswell as crows.If my dog doesnt eat all her dinner the crows figure thats an invite to help themselves to the rest of the kibble.

Andy83
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
My buddys neighbour shot one with a crossbow, stuck it to a tree, then it's mother ran down the tree, grabbed the crossbow bolt, ripped it out of the tree with her jaws, hissed at the guy, then grabbed the young-un and took off out of the yard. They are tough SOB's, I'd hire a pro, or shoot it with a bow and arrow.

Jelvis
08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Good for your dog there was no water around, that little thief with the black eyed mask would climb on your pet, on it's back and hold it under til it was gasping for air and then gouge it's eyes out with it's long sharp toes --
-- while biting and ripping slices into the pets ears -- watch it cuz now the spit and blood from the coon is in the dogs system -- rabies or something -
Jel == raccoons are deadly -- to domestic dogs - when in a fight --

Monashee
08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
They carry quite a few nasty diseases according to my neighbour who is a vet , the droppings are disease vectors as well.

sawmill
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
You can purchase a live trap for Racoons - Skunks - wild cat etc. Then fill a 45 gal drum with water & that will get rid of them one at a time.
Good Luck
I thought we already had the discusion about how f#cked up it is to drown things.Shoot them.

Paulyman
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Good for your dog there was no water around, that little thief with the black eyed mask would climb on your pet, on it's back and hold it under til it was gasping for air and then gouge it's eyes out with it's long sharp toes --
-- while biting and ripping slices into the pets ears -- watch it cuz now the spit and blood from the coon is in the dogs system -- rabies or something -
Jel == raccoons are deadly -- to domestic dogs - when in a fight --

I don't understand why my dog wasn't bitten or gouged by the raccoon but he wasn't! the raccoon was stuck to him for around 30 seconds!

bsa30-06
08-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I thought we already had the discusion about how f#cked up it is to drown things.Shoot them.

Years back we had a guy that lived on the opposite side of the street then we did who was catching squirells in live traps and walking them over to his nieghbors house (well they were on holidays) and drowning them in the backyard pool.At the time there was several children out playing and saw the cage go from his house with a live squirell in it, and back from his nieghbors house with a dead squirell in it still dripping water.I called the SPCA about this and was told that it was considered an acceptable way of dealing with the animals,but they did send some one out to chat with the guy about what he was doing, and after that i never saw him use his niegfhbors pool for drowning squirells.In my opinion i would never even consider holding an animals head under water till it stopped breathing, i dont want to even imagine what that must be like.

BCLongshot
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
ha ha

Come on !

Drowning pests and u can't imagine.

I guess me shooting 4 on my deck in the eye with my pos pellet gun means I'm a gonad ?

F*'n pests were trying to come through the screen door for the 10th time !

These pests are glorified rats !

Club the damn things and tell your neighbors NOT TO PHONE THE SPCA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jager
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
So what is an acceptable way to do the vermin in if you live in an area that has laws against discharging firearms???? My father has been using a live trap and .22 sub-sonics for years defending the chickens in his semi-rural neighbourhood. The live trap helps protect the neighbours cats. In past posts it was determined that you can not legaly transport a trapped coon to the wild to either release or exterminate. Who wants to hire a professional $$$$$$ ? What humane/legal options does that leave you with? Poison, drowning, gassing, clubbing, other????

hunter1947
08-13-2009, 01:01 PM
So what is an acceptable way to do the vermin in if you live in an area that has laws against discharging firearms???? My father has been using a live trap and .22 sub-sonics for years defending the chickens in his semi-rural neighbourhood. The live trap helps protect the neighbours cats. In past posts it was determined that you can not legaly transport a trapped coon to the wild to either release or exterminate. Who wants to hire a professional $$$$$$ ? What humane/legal options does that leave you with? Poison, drowning, gassing, clubbing, other????

Transporting coons is all in favor for the trappers I think ,this rule only came out a few years ago ,if your not a registered trapper and you live trap a coon you are only allowed to transport it 400 meters from where you trapped it from.

WKCotts
08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
400m... that'll sure keep it away :lol:

Jelvis
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I seen or saw whad er, a malamute dog, take some lickin from a coon, the coon was growling like a bear on roids and the coon had the dog in the water and trying to drown it under the thick over hangin blackberry suckers all over d place -- I had to take out the coon very precisely and carefully with a .22 Cooey - rim fire - long rifle -- but get a killing shot or u got prob
Whiz Bangs --he had other scraps cuz he would'nt quit --
Jel -- those racoons can take a lickin -- the little robber with his mask and all --

houndogger
08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Cat food works very well for coon but you will catch alot of cats also. If you are only after coon marshmellows work like a hot dam. They can't resist them:!:

tikkat3
08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
my buddy has a female pit/american bulldog cross that has killed 2 raccoons in the last couple months, he should hire her out...

wolverine
08-13-2009, 10:15 PM

Ha ha ha.. I feel the same way Joe but the way you put that made me laugh out loud. I'm going to have to try the cat food and marshmellow trick cuz the only damn thing I can catch with sardines is bloody neighbourhood cats. The coons around here drive me nutz... always in the garbage and the dogs food. My one neighbour says to just shoot em but there are a couple others that would get pissy about that. I have a good live trap ... I think I just need the right bait... then it's a short trip down the road with the shot gun and the problem is solved.

Jagermeister
08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Headshot with a .22 before you shake him out of the cage. Nothing like having a pissed coon running at you after you let him out and then trying to drill him at close quarters.

TheDuckinator
08-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Bows dont make a noise... Those 'coons do though. But i would try CCI CB Longs all you here is the hammer click. Try putting paprika at there access points as it deters cats so maybe 'coons
Best of luck