PDA

View Full Version : new hunter looking for advice

FlyFishBC
08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
hey, im curious about places i can hunt, normally i hunt with my grandparents in keremeos but in a few months i'll be 18 and it's time to head off and hunt on my own. i am curious if the maps in the hunting synopsis(with the shooting and no shooting zones) for each region are the only places i can hunt in that region. i live in vancouver and i'm looking to find some goose, duck, snipe, and possibly blacktail hunting areas that are fairly near. or how do i know which areas i can and can't hunt?

coquitlam
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
to start off have you taken the hunters CORE program

Steeleco
08-12-2009, 12:16 AM
to start off have you taken the hunters CORE program

Lets assume you have,?? then you'll need to go to your licence retailer and get a copy of the "Fraser Valley special area hunting regs" It's a large fold out map that has all the areas shaded and legend to show what areas your allowed to hunt and by what means.

08-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the site!!! As mentioned, if you don't have the required licenses, getting legal will be your first priority, from there you should be able to source info about the areas your interested in........good luck.

Phreddy
08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
companyWelcome. Always nice to see someone come along to carry the torch.
I'd highly recommend joining a fish and game club and get to know some of the members. You'd be surprised at how many members would be more than willing to take you out to show you some good spots, as well as provide some good company.
In the meantime, you will learn a lot on this website and we hope you will also be able to contribute. Now, how about filling your newcomer's obligation to share a good joke with us.

FlyFishBC
08-16-2009, 12:01 AM
thanks everyone, ive already got a core book and iv'e got the basics, i know the animals of north america like the back of my hand, and now i just intend to get a backroads map, get all my licenses and take part in a legacy thats been in my grandparents family for generations and one day i hope my kids will hunt with me too

brian
08-16-2009, 12:22 AM
The little maps in the regs only outline where you specifically cannot hunt and or shoot as according to the wildlife regulations. The little maps do not cover all the areas where you can hunt. Also the hunting synopsis does not cover local municipal bylaws concerning where you can and can't shoot. So pickup the Fraser Valley special area hunting map, its free and a great resource. It'll tell you what where and why you can't shoot (In the Fraser Valley at least).The onus is on you to make sure you are hunting and shooting legally. Good luck!

300H&H
08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
hey, im curious about places i can hunt, normally i hunt with my grandparents in keremeos but in a few months i'll be 18 and it's time to head off and hunt on my own. i am curious if the maps in the hunting synopsis(with the shooting and no shooting zones) for each region are the only places i can hunt in that region. i live in vancouver and i'm looking to find some goose, duck, snipe, and possibly blacktail hunting areas that are fairly near. or how do i know which areas i can and can't hunt?

Try Stanley Park for ducks & geese. ;)

FlyFishBC
08-16-2009, 10:44 PM
ha stanley park, i wouldn't hunt there even if i could, nasty ducks and geese eating bread and trash, couldn't taste too good

muledeercrazy
08-17-2009, 02:34 PM
If you plan on hunting with a rifle, do you have your P.A.L? Joining a club/range, and spending some time with your rifle and appropriate ammo will give you a chance to get to know other hunters. I cant tell you how much I have learned from other hunters during casual, friendly conversation at the range. The backroad mapbooks are a great resource, make sure you take it with you to the range or sporting goods store so that if someone wants to give you some advice they dont have to spend alot of time drawing a map or explaining where to go. If you dont have your liscense and everything in order right now, you can still take a pair of binoculars and start scouting out areas, access roads, trails, etc.