PDA

View Full Version : moosy cookin'

nieves
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
so the bf left today with his friend to go moosing (first time!- cross fingers :P ), and i was wondering, is moose (or any game for that matter) treated/cooked the same way as beef? like can you do a med-rare steak or does it have to be cooked more than normal? for bugs or anything??? i was reading some of the recipes here and it doesnt seem any different but i thought id ask :D

thanks!!

nieves

newhunterette
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
cook it like you would beef and to your preference in doneness - just needs some sort of fat added because it is so lean

I have tons of recipes on here for moose as well as in my head and written - just pm me anytime

good luck to the bf for success

Ali

nieves
08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
cool! thanks for that! and ill be trying the recipes when he gets home :D

Ddog
08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
nope,,,wrong,,,its just a trophy hunt, your BF went just to say he went, if he does get one you'd better just get it sent to me, i will take care of that trash...lol

Gateholio
08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
You dont' have to- and SHOULDN'T cook moose well done.

It is much leaner than beef though, as most of the fat is on the outside of the meat, rather than marbled throughout.

I like to use a marinade with some oil and water in it to impart a bit of extra juicynesss, and I make sure to never over cook it.

nieves
08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
kk thanks gatehouse :P ill keep that in mind

porcupine
08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I've found that if you are cooking a roast and using a meat thermometer, game is cooked to the same doneness as beef if you take it our at 10 degrees LESS than what you would for beef. Be sure to let it sit for 15 minutes before carving. I use a 300 degree oven to prevent overcooking and find that 1 1/2 hours is just about perfect for a medium rare roast. and don't forget to put some fat or bacon over the roast before cooking.
________
Airport (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Airport)