PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 7-24

hutch
08-11-2009, 07:01 AM
no tags this year so trying a new area mossvale lake and buttle lake both show to have rec sites in the backroads map book is there enough room for a wall tent at these spots? or even great beaver lake. seems to be a lot of area to hunt back in here anyone have any tips? any info would be appreciated

CanuckShooter
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Mossvale & Great Beaver yes..don't know Buttle. GB lake is popular with boat hunters...and will most likely be busy. There are many good spots in logging cuts where you could put up a tent in that area.

Riverratz
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Great Beaver Lake (as you may be aware) is actually in 7-14. Fairly large forestry rec. site at east end, but it gets heavily used, especially as the season wears on. Some of the sites will accommodate larger wall tents. Oceans of red & dead beetle wood, but the plus side is that there is no shortage of firewood, assuming the campfire ban is lifted. No wildlife (not even birds or squirrels) in those bug infested areas. There are some scattered green belts that survived the bug attack, and there are moose, but you have to cruise around to find those areas. Lake gets used by boat hunters quite a bit. Last year, lots of logging activity in the vicinity, loaded logging trucks every 2 minutes on the mainlines. Most logging activity was on the south side of the Teardrop Main, (Young's Rd) south of GBL. West end of GBL to Ft. St. James gets heavy pressure in the evenings and weekends by FSJ locals on day/evening trips. IMHO, Cow/calf season is a nightmare, and a good time to stay out of the area.

Mossvale Lake has rec.sites as well, although somewhat smaller in size. Some would accommodate wall tent. That's in 7-24, zone boundary is the Salmon River. This area used to get pounded hard by hunters some 20 years ago, (in fact it used to be three ring circus), but hunting pressure has thinned out over the years from what it used to be. Good lake for small tin boat or canoe.

You mentionned "Buttle" (never heard of it),....did you mean "Bugle" ?
Bugle is in 7-24 was well, not far from Mossvale......very small camp site on south side just off the main road, but is sloped and close to lake, not my idea of a good wall tent set up area. Right on the main road, so gets fairly heavy thru traffic and road hunters.

You can access 7-24 off the 200 Rd (just west of Nukko Lake) drive to 216 km., (16 km. up 200), turn right onto 600 Rd........BUT.... for the last few years that area has seen very heavy logging; don't know about this year. Last year saw construction of very wide, new logging roads which indicates lots of logging activity to come. In general, a very busy area logging wise.

West side of 200 Rd. has seen heavy logging past few years and will continue.

7-16 (on east side of Hwy. 97); Huge zone, too many areas to comment on, various access routes off hwy 97. Tons of area and lots of good tent sites, although not many on lakes. Main lines see heavy use from PG locals, daytrippers, etc. Bug attack did not have as big an impact as in 7-14 or 7-24. The further into 7-16 away from the hwy. you go the better it gets. Last year's logging activity was nil, don't know about this year. Close to the Parsnip River is best, but the logging blocks have grown over considerably, 12 ft. + growth. Many maps are no longer valid, some roads are impassible due to overgrowth, recent deactivation, bridges removed etc. Gets heavy pressure later in Sept and into Oct. Steep country, best hunted by quad or boat. Parsnip is runnable but jet power recommended unless you have lots of props.
You don't need a huge boat. Some use tinners with smaller size jet o/b.

Lookin' for 2 tiners is a dice roll, but IF?? you are intent on 7-24/7-16, I suggest the northern areas of either zone., access from Bear Lake on Hwy. 97.
Good Luck.

moosinaround
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Head up the 200 rd west of Bearlake. Go all the way to the back, close to Carp lake(west side) Can't access carp lake from here, but only for map reference. Pick a landing, and set up a tent. Lots of new-newer logging, swamps, and is a good ways from the weekend warriors. It is I beleive mostly in 7-24, haven't looked at the boundaries map. Take lots of fuel, and food, cause Bearlake is a ways away, but good road hunting in and out! I have seen some beauty bulls up there! Good luck! Moosin

killman
08-11-2009, 09:02 PM
OK that's just about enough! There are no moose up here! especially 7-24

rishu_pepper
08-11-2009, 09:15 PM
OK that's just about enough! There are no moose up here! especially 7-24

Yeah there are only wolves :roll::biggrin:

The Hermit
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
RiverRatz - Any info on recent beetle/logging activity in 7-26? My partner and I both got Bull Draws in there... I've never been but buddy knows the area well so not looking for honey-hole spots just any big impact on resource/land etc?

Thanks

killman
08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah there are only wolves :roll::biggrin:

Don't forget the Gizzlies!:grin:

Riverratz
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
RiverRatz - Any info on recent beetle/logging activity in 7-26? My partner and I both got Bull Draws in there... I've never been but buddy knows the area well so not looking for honey-hole spots just any big impact on resource/land etc?

Thanks

Sorry can't help, haven't hunted that zone. Fished many lakes but that was 20+ yrs. ago and too long ago to be of any help. A friend was in there last year and they did well, he didn't mention anything about logging, etc. Suggest calling Forestry in FSJ 250-996-5200. With bull draws you should do well, especially if your partner knows his way around.

hutch
08-11-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks for the replies