PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about stupid neighbours

bc_buckshot
08-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Just want to know some advice from you guys heres my story.

I live in pitt meadows and have a bad problem with coyotes. I know i'm not the only one, but we have 175 chickens that we use to sell eggs. This year, as of July we lost 45 chickens due to coyotes. I personaly seen 2 of them dogs jump over the fence and grab them. I talked to the conservation officer and he hasn't gotten back to me so i took my own actions. I have my licence, and my fraser valley hunting licence, and shot two nice males from protecting me animals. One the regs, June 15 is the last day to hunt coyotes. But I have one neighbour that is talkin to other neigbours saying I'm shooting my guns in the back yard and are tired of hearing my coyote calls and next time she hears anything she is going to call the cops. what do I do?

threedhunter
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
are you listed as a farm or hobby farmer?does the municipal bylaw allow discharge of firearms?iir, as a farmer you are allowed to protect your "livestock" from predators. you have contacted a co who hasn't gotten back to you, get back to him asap, get his opinion before you get in dutch.

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Well if you're calling them in, you aren't protecting your chickens...

How many coyotes are left ?
Better hurry up and kill them too before she does make the call :lol:

Go buy a bear banger, if you cant discharge a firearm where you are and if they do "investigate" you were just shooting blanks to scare them... because thats what you were really doing, right ?
I'll stand up for ya, I know you had too much to drink and got on HBC and started braggin about shootin coyotes, tryin' to "spice" things up around here, when really you didnt (quick, edit your post!)
Problem solved ;)

hunter1947
08-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Your jumping into a hot frying pan when you call for coyotes ,If me I would not call them.

If you can't discharge a rifle in your area can you use a shotgun???.

If me I would keep calling the Co till they get back to you ,I would call 6 times a day if I had to ,keep all calls on record to show that you have been trying to get a hold of them.

If me I would also call the police and tell them about your problems.

You might have to get a trapper involved in this case ,live trap them in a cage then shoot them when they are in the live cage.

My trapping partner charges $100.00 for to catch one yote.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Shooting a coyote witha chicken in their mouth is on thing, calling in coyotes and shooting them is called hunting, which closed on June 15. The CO's don't care if it is a coyote or a stone sheep you shot out of season, they look at it as hunting during a closed seaon unless you can prove that coyote was in the proccess of killing your chickens.

Crimson Viking
08-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Try calling the fish and wildlife Hq in Victoria

1-800-663-7867 Tell then your situation, they will be able to let u know your rights. Calling i think will get u into problems, it will be looked at as active hunting i would guess

mrdoog
08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
"we have 175 chickens that we use to sell eggs"

Those must be really smart chickens.

open-sights
08-11-2009, 08:33 AM
"we have 175 chickens that we use to sell eggs"

Those must be really smart chickens.
Holly shit did i laugh at this, lolololol. Mrdoog gets my vote of 'best one liner of the year!'

Bowtime
08-11-2009, 08:55 AM
In my opinion. What you are doing is fine.
In the laws opinion it may be seen different.
How many coyotes do you think are in the area?

ratherbefishin
08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Is a crossbow an option?

Gateholio
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Contact your local CO and ask him what you can LEGALLY do to protect your chickens.

That is the only thing that matters. If it's legal to shoot to protect your chickens, then your neighbors don't have a leg to stand on. Calling them in sounds more like hunting that protecting, you might want to ask the CO about that, too.

Jagermeister
08-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Holly shit did i laugh at this, lolololol. Mrdoog gets my vote of 'best one liner of the year!'I'll second that!

GoatGuy
08-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Just want to know some advice from you guys heres my story.

I live in pitt meadows and have a bad problem with coyotes. I know i'm not the only one, but we have 175 chickens that we use to sell eggs. This year, as of July we lost 45 chickens due to coyotes. I personaly seen 2 of them dogs jump over the fence and grab them. I talked to the conservation officer and he hasn't gotten back to me so i took my own actions. I have my licence, and my fraser valley hunting licence, and shot two nice males from protecting me animals. One the regs, June 15 is the last day to hunt coyotes. But I have one neighbour that is talkin to other neigbours saying I'm shooting my guns in the back yard and are tired of hearing my coyote calls and next time she hears anything she is going to call the cops. what do I do?

See if you can call a trapper in and set snares around the whole works. Just like velcro.

bc_buckshot
08-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I haven't seen any yet. Before the 15 of July, I know in total I have seen 11. For sure I know there is a pack out in the back somewhere. You can Hunt them in 2-8 if you have a fraser valley hunting licence and follow the rules in the book.But i haven't not done anything yet b/c if not season and havn't seen any lately

palmer
08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Go talk to the neighbour first...explain your side...if you get no support you should contact the CO service...This way you look like the good guy trying to keep the peace...If she does complain you can show how you tried to work everything out....

RiverOtter
08-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Leave the gun at home, when you go talk to her though........:mrgreen:

LYKTOHUNT
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Holly shit did i laugh at this, lolololol. Mrdoog gets my vote of 'best one liner of the year!'
X2 thats funny

08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
As a good friend of mine used to say before he passed away due to Cancer
last year, in the case of your Neighbors .... Pat's old saying .....
"You can't Fix Stupid "

Your neighbor needs to put himself in your shoes, continue to kill them chicken stealing varmints! Your protecting your livestock !

CT

mikeman20
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure protection of livestock is legal grounds to shoot them, but I doubt calling them would fall under that.