PDA

View Full Version : Thermarests

Duk Dog
08-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Curious for back pack hunts if people use the inflating style, or the egg carton (non inflating) style? I have both and am not certain which I'll use. (not exactly as shown in the below links, but you get the idea)

Non Inflate - http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...z-lite/product (http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/z-lite/product)

Inflate - http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...e-plus/product (http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/prolite-plus/product)

Ron.C
08-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a thermarest that I used on a week long canoe trip, and on my hunt last year. Very nice. The compress down quite flat, and offer good insulation from the ground. If you use one, do yourself a favour and pick up a repait kit. They are only around 5 bucks, but worth every penny when you are miles from anywhere and poke a hole in it:wink:

Dirty
08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I have a Z-lite and Prolite Plus. Use both for comfort or one or the other if you are a minimalist or need to be a minimalist. The Prolite plus packs to nothing and is available the cheapest at MEC.

SHACK
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I have the pro lite as well as the Big Agnes insul air core, and hands down the air core wins for comfort! Give them a good looking over as well!

Duk Dog
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Just looked and my egg carton is a "Z-Lite" and the inflatable one is an old one I've had for years simply called "The Original". For those of you packing the inflating style do you also carry a patch kit just in case?

Johnny G1
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
We have had the inflatable mattress for almost 30 yrs. bought them in west yellowstone when we were in the MCycle days very warm as no moisture gets thru them and they roll up to about 3 in diameter, let them self inflate and add a few good puffs of air and you are good to go, very light and easy to pack. Just my thoughts.

Brambles
08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I have a

Thermarest
Z-lite
Exped DownMat7

Exped is defintily the most comfy by far, weights the most but is probably the smallest by a tiny bit. Z lite is the lightest and more versitile but it can be tiresome to sleep on unless you make a baugh bed. Thermarest is somewhere inbetween the two but closer to the Z-Lite for comfort.

pmj
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I have the Therma Rest (inflatable). I have slept on frozen ground (-10) and snow with it and the cold does not come thru. It is really comfortable to sleep on and I have a back that needs a good bed. It makes me a little bit nervous in case I put a hole in it. I do not have the repair kit yet.
I would like to try out the Ridge Rest (foam) due to its lighter weight. I would like to see if it is comfortable for my back.

reach
08-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Back when I did a bit of backpacking, I used a Ridge Rest alone (non self inflating) when weight was at a premium, e.g. the WCT.

If I needed more comfort and was OK with a bit more weight I'd use that plus an "ultralight" Therma-Rest (self inflating but pretty thin, 3/4 length).

For short hikes I used a full length full weight Therma-Rest.

Nowadays I use a foam mattress about 3" thick that I got from Costco a few years back that folds into a shape barely small enough to fit behind the seat of my x-cab Ranger :) (don't do a lot of backpacking)

But seriously, if I was going on a trip tomorrow I would grab my Ridge Rest + ultralight Therma-Rest. Good compromise of weight + comfort, and the Ridge Rest can't be punctured. :wink:

Devilbear
08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
I have had several Thermarests and now only use my Prolite IV-lge. I have four Ridgerests and do not like them, they are in specific packs used for certain trips as underlays to inflatables.

I use Gossamer Gear Nitetlite Torso pads under my TR-Pl and a short Z-rest under my legs and find this about the most compact and reasonably comfy rig, yet.

I bought two Big Agnes Ins. Air Cores from Mountain Magic and after testing, gave the mummy version to a friend and kept the large-rec. I have used it a fair bit, but, I am not too keen on it as I am a side sleeper and find I slip off it, plus, it is noisy.

A friend in the industry gave me an Exped 9Dlx. to test when they came out and I did so, then decided to buy it. It is VERY comfy, but, too much of a pita to inflate and is heavy. I keep it with my Hilleberg Saivo base camp tent as it IS excellent for use in a situation where you are in one place for several nights. I have a "Roots" thick EVA pad from "Crappy Tire" that goes under it and I would prefer this in really cold conditions to anything else...I am just too damm old to pack it!

I now have a T-rest Neoair on order from Mountain Magic and will use 1/4" GG EVA foam, cut to size under it. This will be very light, compact and should do about everything that I need at about 1.5 lbs.

Try some GG EVA pads, they ship direct from Texas and are nice people and their rigs are so compact that you are willing to carry them on a hunting pack, where a Ridgerest gets to the point that a guy starts going a little bit nutso, after the umpteenth time it catchs a branch.

spreerider
08-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I have an origional thermarest that i got when i was 13 for christmas, and so far no leaks yet but i do carry a patch kit at the bottom of the bag. I have hiked without it and with it, and it is worth the weight for the extra sleep i get and a rested back.

tomahawk
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a thermarest that is pushing 20 or more yrs old and no problems with leaks. Only concern I have is that I tend to slide off it when the ground is not very level, which is most of the time!

Duk Dog
08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Picked up the ProLite Plus to try. (& stuff sack and repair kit)

bigwhiteys
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I started with one of the original thermarests and after many years moved onto the prolite IV. Light, packs small and is good for 4 season use. It's comfortable, and my sleeping bag has straps that go around the thermarest and cinch down so falling off is never a problem.

Carl

wolverine
08-21-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah those things are great as long as you have 15 of em stacked up. I'll take my camper bed anytime.