PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a Hilleberg?

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Curious to hear peoples reviews & see pics.
Looking at the Nallo 2.
Lots of tents to look at and I only want to buy one once.

Devilbear
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I bought three Hilles. plus a "Bivanorak" and a XP20 Tarp, sold one to my buddy and now have a "Saivo" and a "Soulo" in green. The red "Soulo" I bought was just too bright for me and my buddy just had to have it, so, I let him and got the green version.

The Hillebergs are the BEST tents I have ever used or examined, only Integral Designs is equal in quality and design. They ARE costly and I prefer the freestanding dome styles over the Nallo, Kaitum and so on, BUT, they are WORTH the price you pay.

I also bought and recommend "footprints" for my tents as I have found that this is where most light tents wear out first. I cannot recommend Hilleberg tents too strongly and Petra Hilleberg in WA state is not only gorgeous, she is just excellent to do business with.

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Devilbear; Does the Soulo vestible/entrance have a closure on it or is it always exposed (the door) ?

Thanks for that review.

Devilbear
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
It closes completely and you have enough room to use a tiny canister stove inside. I have a Brunton-Optimus Crux and a Snowpeak Litemax Ti stove and they both work fine there.

For a basecamp but high country tent, especially for longer trips, I would buy the Jannu ahead of anything now on the market, or, perhaps the ID MKIII. I have an ID-MKI-XL and it is one fine tent, but, I like more room for longer stays in schitty weather.

I use a bivy/tarp combo plus a base camp tent like these for solo trips and have a Kifaru 8-man, stove and my Saivo for trips with other guys.

You can buy other tents, but, I have owned and used a lot of them and Hilleberg is in a class by themselves. The Jannu came out after I bought my Saivo and so I do not have one, but, if I were younger and knew I would get the use out of it, I would buy one, no matter what I had to do to get the coin.

whitetailsheds
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Think this clip has a Hilleburg, I think, at about 3:23 of the clip. Looks roomy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzdxVEA27S0&feature=related

This clip had three or four parts to it on YouTube, pretty good stuff if ya can't be on the hill.