PDA

View Full Version : Prophet river water levels

freezerfiller
08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew what the water levels of the prophet are like this week. I'm hunting the area for the first time this year with help from someone who worked there two years ago. I'm thinking of crossing somewhere between ft. nelson and the old alaska highway (mile 260). I have an argo and an alluminum boat. I'm looking for moose, elk and bear if anyone has any pointers on where to go or what the river is like that would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It's going to be just me and my girlfriend so closer to the argo or truck in 20 degree heat would be ideal.

bridger
08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
all the rivers are high this year but usually drop late august early september.

Manglinmike
08-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I hunted the prophet river area for 10 yrs and the only thing that I can tell you is that in that time 4 people died tring to cross in argos,the water is alot faster than it looks.One year we had 20 hp on a 12ft tin boat and we tried going up river and came to an area that we could not get up passed,I don't know how fast that little tinny went with a20hp on it but it was pretty quick and the water didnt look that fast.there are a few spots that we crossed that have a lot of roads on the other side thow ,it's worth the trip ,I took a 58 in bull out of there.

freezerfiller
08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
thanks alot for the info and good luck this season:grin: