PDA

View Full Version : LEH Elk Peace River country question

Ken the Kanuck
08-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Hopefully this question has not been asked before but if it has please provide a link and accept my thanks.

My son and my hunting buddy both got antlerless elk draws for next winter around FSJ - Dawson Creek. With the draw notification came a letter regarding contacting local farmers regarding hunting on thier land. I have not been able to find any email addresses on the site provided. Has anyone found a way or just by phone.

Also is this system working out? Has anyone taken advantage of it?

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

KTK

gr8d8b8
08-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I have the same draw, if you read the letter it mentions to call the number or email the addresss given to get onto the pilot program, my buddy got it last year and it was quite easy, obviously a meat hunt...once I get a response (If?) I'll let you know as well.

SUAFOYT
08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
We did the reservation system last year. You can reserve any plot or multiple plots if they are not already reserved for up to a week. It's a crap shoot as far as when you reserve because there's no guarantee anything will be around when you select your time. You also have to take the time to register with the program co-ordinator either in Dawson Creek or Ft. St. John. The woman's name is Karla Langstaffe, and she's great to deal with, very helpful. You should call her in advance and speak with her. We chose 2 properties that were adjacent to each other so that we had a larger area to hunt. We ran into another group during registration that had also reserved 2 areas, but they had spread theirs out into 2 different areas a long way apart. I would not, repeat not recommend anything in the Tom's Lake, Pouce Coupe or Groundbirch areas. The drill and exploration activity in these areas is crazy busy 24/7 and most locals are of the opinion that as long as that is going on, the elk aren't going to be there. They are mostly of the opinion that this activity is changing elk patterns in the region. I have relatives in the immediate area and they agree. The Stewart Lake area is hopeless as well as it's been totally taken over by all the activity. We had no success in our reserved areas, but did score 2 in other areas. The permission issue is quite the hassle and very time consuming. You must have a map, phone book and cel coverage if you don't have anything set up in advance, or previous contacts. Good luck.

Ken the Kanuck
08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info SUAFOYT,

I have some friends in FSJ and I know a rancher down towards Taylor. He offered to let me hunt on his property last year for this season. I have known him for several years through another buddy and have hunted on his property with that buddy. But he is quite strict on who hunts and what animals you can take. So I'm reluctant to show up with someone he doesn't know. But I will check things out with some of the others I know up there as that maybe the way to go.

What do the Elk taste like if harvested that late in the year? I have been told that deer taken that late taste awful as their feed has been reduced to hay and bark.

Thanks again,

KTK

We did the reservation system last year. You can reserve any plot or multiple plots if they are not already reserved for up to a week. It's a crap shoot as far as when you reserve because there's no guarantee anything will be around when you select your time. You also have to take the time to register with the program co-ordinator either in Dawson Creek or Ft. St. John. The woman's name is Karla Langstaffe, and she's great to deal with, very helpful. You should call her in advance and speak with her. We chose 2 properties that were adjacent to each other so that we had a larger area to hunt. We ran into another group during registration that had also reserved 2 areas, but they had spread theirs out into 2 different areas a long way apart. I would not, repeat not recommend anything in the Tom's Lake, Pouce Coupe or Groundbirch areas. The drill and exploration activity in these areas is crazy busy 24/7 and most locals are of the opinion that as long as that is going on, the elk aren't going to be there. They are mostly of the opinion that this activity is changing elk patterns in the region. I have relatives in the immediate area and they agree. The Stewart Lake area is hopeless as well as it's been totally taken over by all the activity. We had no success in our reserved areas, but did score 2 in other areas. The permission issue is quite the hassle and very time consuming. You must have a map, phone book and cel coverage if you don't have anything set up in advance, or previous contacts. Good luck.