PDA

View Full Version : choosing between multiple stand sites

5/10/85
08-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I have currently three stand sites up (just itching for Sept. 1). One site has deer coming through every morning (trail cam), but only does. Other ones have bucks coming through but only once a week or once every two weeks, very sporadically. How do you choose between stand sites? I've read some people have as many as 15 stands up or more. Any suggestions?

Bowzone_Mikey
08-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Flip a coin ... if one only has does and no bucks ever ... the other sporatic bucks ... I would play the lottery on a stand with bucks ....

Later in the season ... the does wont change much ... but the bucks are looking for some tail will follow the the girls in by the constant doe stand

My advice is wait for the rut ....then sit on the doe stand .. Unless you have multiple tags, or a shooter buck already picked out

The Hermit
08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
If you are in a doe open area... take a doe early season, then a buck out of the same stand when the rut starts.

huntwriter
08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I am not much of a mule deer expert but if it is whitetail deer you're after then find out what's on either side of the trail. At his time of the year bucks still live in bachelor groups and their main interest is food. Does and bucks use different travel routes that are often close together with the one notable difference that buck travel corridors are always further back in the cover than those of the females. Bucks also use what we call "staging areas". A staging area is where the bucks hold up and wait for nightfall before they enter an open field. Staging areas are always in the think stuff but with decent visibility of the feeding area and always downwind from it. Setting up in a staging area can be a bit tricky but is very rewarding, especially in the early season.

Here (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/hunting_tips/articles/The_Four_Cornerstones_Of_Scouting.html) is an article that will help you to solve the early season whitetail deer scouting puzzle.

Ddog
08-09-2009, 07:17 PM
well it all depends on what you call a successful hunt, does seeing multiple deer count as success or does harvesting a deer count.
to me , a treestand hunter, there are a few things that i look at when going hunting. i usually have stands set in a couple different spots and it depends on how the wind is blowing. I have one spot that if there is a northernly wind , i wont hunt it, if there is any other wind its a good one to go to. I have one stand that the deer just dont seem to care to much about human scent because its close to an alfalfa field and farm where there is lots of human traffic. i have yet another one that if the wind is blowing in all directions sporadically i will hunt that stand.
i never flip a coin, i always have a destination stand.

urbanhermit
08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I am with Ddog, I stop and check for prevailing wind at least twice on my way up to my stand well before daylight. I have several stand sites for different wind directions. All be things being equal go to the one with lots of deer, more fun seeing lots on opening day even if there are no shooters. Practice drawing on does and see what movement you can get away with. few days of that will rev you up so when you go to the less travelled buck trails you wont lose interest as fast.