PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Lake?

Black Bird
08-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi folks,

I just got back from doing a motorbike ride with a friend from Squamish through Pemberton and down through Harrison Lake and back to Vancouver. Apart from finding the going pretty tough from the top of Harrison lake for about 30km (I am on a KLR 650) it seemed to me that it might be pretty good deer country up there. I am new to hunting - I went on one trip last year north of Kamloops (3-29) where I saw many deer, but no bucks (yet had a fantastic experience). However, without asking anyone to tip their hands as to good hunting spots am I off my rocker thinking that Harrison might be pretty good?

Cheers,
BB

lip_ripper00
08-08-2009, 11:38 PM
So how many deer did you see on the way down:biggrin:?

Steeleco
08-09-2009, 01:25 AM
I can be very good, but not down low in my experiences.

Black Bird
08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I didn't see any deer on the way down - but mind you it was mid-day and I was bombing along on my bike. It is true, though, that the further down I got the more busy it became. Also, whereas the northern areas were pretty people/litter free, the southern areas had lots of shot out beer cans/signs. Hmmm... I guess I was just hoping for an area to hunt for a deer that wasn't too far away from Vancouver. Due to my work schedule, I will only be able to get out on a few weekends during the season to travel time is an issue for me. Maybe I will have to keep on looking...

Cheers,
BB

twoSevenO
08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Harrison lake (on both sides) is ridiculously busy, pretty much year around. The only time the south part is void of people is from December onwards, when the snows hit. Having said that, the snow can make for very tough going and usually completely unpassable by the time you get to the 30-35k mark (unless you drive something special).

However, the only two (west) harrison deer i've ever seen were right down south on the start of the logging road ... ironic.

Steeleco
08-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Location dependent, within 2 hours you can be hunting up past Squamish, or the lower reaches of the Coq.

bsa30-06
08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Have seen some does on the east side and one buck... but it was in somebody elses truck.

treeclimber
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
there are deer there, you just need to get out of the truck, blacktails are afraid of there own shadow

slyfox
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Got 2 there latest dec on the eastside later in the season is best.

CHEAM
08-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Just like treeclimber said you just have to get out of your truck. I have taken a few in the 130 class. Towards the north end of the lake look for Salal growing in the timber that's were they are after the snow hits the high country! I've also done some scouting on my DRZ. up there.