PDA

View Full Version : Bow quiver vs Hip/Shoulder quiver for huntiing...

mcrae
08-08-2009, 12:07 PM
A question for you archery old hands:biggrin:. I am going into my second archery season and I will be taking it more serious this year. I have a moose LEH tag in the W.Koots that gives me a Sept 1 to Oct 14th archery season for any bull bullwinkle. I am going to try my best to get it done with my bow.

I am going to be hauling this bow all over the place. I currently have a quiver mounted on my compound bow and have been thinking of going to some style of hip or shoulder quiver. I shoot my bow on average better without the quiver so just curious what some of the more experienced guys are using. Its very convenient to have the arrows right on the bow but was thinking about some other options....

Bowzone_Mikey
08-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I use a bow mounted quiver ... when I am on the ground stalking I leave it attached and pay close attention to my level on my sight (thats why you arent as accurate ... the quiver adds weight to one side and you naturally cant the bow either to the heavy side or you over compensate and cant the other way) ... when I am In the tree I take it off and attach it to either the tree or the stand itself.
This is when I use a Quickee quiver or an Alpine softloc or alike single peice quiver , My old Hoyt had a 2 peice and it was bolted directly to the bow ... I added some weight to the opposite side of the bow (like a side or a V-bar) to offset the weight and bring the bow back into Balance

J_T
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
My brother and I both shoot recurves so it is certainly different. But he has tried every method of carrying an arrow that you can. With acception of the limb quiver affecting your shooting ability I think the other methods would compare. He came back to the limb quiver. Unless he was in a tree stand and the hip or back quiver was strapped on the tree (nice) the limb quiver was definitely the way to pack, and provide quick easy access to arrows on a hunt.

Cedarstrip
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I personally prefer a hip quiver, just to avoid the unbalancing of my bow. (REALLY bugs me!)
Rather than a commercial bought quiver, I just use the qwick-qwiver that attaches to my bow, but attach a light nylon belt to it on the top portion, and then another at the bottom that goes around my thigh to stop it swinging.
I can slide it around to my back to keep it out of sight easily, or take it off completely and carry it if crawling or climbing.

Works for me!

Buck
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I use a Rancho Safari Catquiver It is basically a fanny pack with a arrow and bow holder.The arrows are slightly offset to the side they don't get hung up works very well especially for spot and stalk or long days humbing the woods.I also use it in my treestand just wrap it around the tree.Well made also has a drink holder.You can also use it strictly as a fanny pack.

Bow Walker
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I've tried both bow mounted quivers and the hip style quivers - plus a hip style that I used a bino-buddy strap to convert it to a back quiver.

Nothing works as well as the bow mounted quiver. As Mikey says, you can add some weight on the opposite side to counter balance, or you can do a lot of practising to get used to the added (offset) weight. I developed (very early) the habit of checking my sight level as I come to full draw - this helps your accuracy immeasurably.

Big Lew
08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
"Bow Walker" pretty much states my situation as well. I also have tried the hip and back quivers but was continually re-adjusting them or untangling them from branches or foliage as I only spot and stalk. I use a bow mounted quiver with the arrows facing the same direction I carry the bow, and, as "Bow Walker", check my level bubble before shooting. I also practice for a while with the quiver mounted before hunting season.

Evolution
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I think a bow quiver requires less movement to load an arrow during a spot and stalk, but when Im in a stand I usually have one on the string anyways and I just strap my hip quiver to the tree. I use a recurve and I cant my bow about 15 degrees towards the quiver anyways so balance doesnt really affect me.

Geo.338
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I have been using a bow mounted quiver for 15 years although I did try a back quiver briefly .I find them to be more of a hinderance while still hunting and stalking .My hunting partner has a hip quiver that he is constantly fiddling with .JMO

mcrae
08-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Decided to stick with the bow mounted quiver after playing around with a couple different types on the weekend. I never got around to buying a tree stand this year so I will be primarily spot and stalk and as most of you have already pointed out its hard to beat the bow mounted unit for that...

I did however load my quiver up with arrows and broadheads and practice the last 3-4 days with it. I don't notice the quiver now that I have put it on and shot a couple hundred arrows with it attached...

tomahawk
08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Bow mounted quiver for me, body mounted seem to get in the way for me when doing spot and stalks and trying to be quiet in the bush.

houndogger
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Tryed a hip quiver, never lost so many arrows in this coastal jungle. If it is a dry day I don't mind a bow quiver. I have a cat quiver for the wet days as I use feathers on my arrows. Cat quivers are great but I do like having my pack on for camera and more supplies then I can get in a cat quiver.

huntwriter
08-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't like quivers mounted on my bow. It's another potential source for unwanted noise when you let the arrow go. The less I have on my bow the better. I only use a bow mounted quiver to transport the arrows to the stand when I am in the stand I take the quiver off. For stalking, something I do on rare occasions, I use a hip quiver. At one time I used a back quiver but find them awkward to get at the arrows fast. When I stalk I do so without an arrow on the bow, this means if I see a deer I have to have easy access to the arrow with a minimum of movement involved .

Hope this helps.

08-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I use a bow mounted quiver....it's a 2-piece, and absolutely quiet (sometimes 1-piece quivers will vibrate). The key to success is to practice with your quiver on AND full of arrows...actually full minus one.

ghost
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I have used a hip quiver and found that It was a little cumbersome in stalking. Have switched to a bow mounted quiver and like it better over all.

Big Lew
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I use a bow mounted quiver....it's a 2-piece, and absolutely quiet (sometimes 1-piece quivers will vibrate). The key to success is to practice with your quiver on AND full of arrows...actually full minus one.

I also found the 2-piece quiver much better than 1-piece offerings....they are quiet, and far less intrusive,(some of the solid 1-piece units actually get in the way of the arrow/bow operation.) and are usually lighter in weight. About the only advantage the 1-piece quivers offer is their quick release.

Clint_S
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Tried a back quiver once, what a PITA!
I use a side quiver now for the simple reason that it's a lot easier to strap a bow to a horse, quad, bike or what ever and not have the arrows get banged up or the fletching mangled.

J_T
08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't like quivers mounted on my bow. It's another potential source for unwanted noise when you let the arrow go. The less I have on my bow the better. I only use a bow mounted quiver to transport the arrows to the stand when I am in the stand I take the quiver off. For stalking, something I do on rare occasions, I use a hip quiver. At one time I used a back quiver but find them awkward to get at the arrows fast. When I stalk I do so without an arrow on the bow, this means if I see a deer I have to have easy access to the arrow with a minimum of movement involved .

Hope this helps.This is an important statement. Although I think the bow mounted quiver is the only way to go, the important point in this statement is that any noise upon release is important. Why? Because animals move and can move after the arrow is released. This is why we need to encourage bowhunters to keep shot distance close. Less wounding, better recovery.

Onesock
08-14-2009, 03:01 PM
I would agree with most here that a bow mounted quiver is the way to go. As was mentioned noise from a quiver can be a shot breaker. Just be sure there is no noise coming from your quiver. Make sure it is tight and that non of the feathers/vanes are in contact with each other. Feathers moving against each other make quite the racket upon arrow release. Back quivers have a way of taking the edge off of your broadheads. Saying that, I hunt with a bow mounted quiver.

knockturnal
08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Ive been bow hunting on and doff for the past 6-7 years now. Just recently got back into it again last year. Purchased a Hoyt Katera. put all the bells and whistels on it. Along with a 6 arrow quiver. After shooting it a ton, i realized that i didnt like shooting it with the quiver on. Which kind of sucked cause i didnt want to have to hold my quiver while stalking an animal. I am not a fan of back/leg quivers. After doing some research, I cam across this bag, purchased it and love it. You can slide it out of the way if you want and getting arrows out of it is a breeze. Check it out. you might like it. Plus, it has quite a bit of space to carry stuff in as well.
http://www.gameplangear.com/spotnstalk.html