PDA

View Full Version : Morkill FSR [?]

BearSniper
08-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Morkill FSR,

Does anyone know why the Morkill FSR [ Reg 7-03 near McBride] is a closed to vehicles area for most of the fall ? :roll:

Is it due to outfitters ?

As a result of meeting a North Shore hunter last weekend at a Bar B que, I think I'm going to visit this area - even if it means using a Mountain Bike or my feet.

The Hunter I was talking to said he has personally shot 5 Wolves in the last 3 years [ 2 on one trip] and has see every other kind of listed creature in the lower Morkill River valley.

He has a few bucks to spare and said 2 years ago went in with a few partners on rented Horseback. They took Black Bear, Immy Moose, Mulies and Whitetlalis, as well as the above mentioned Wolves.

It would appear to be a great area, possibly avoided due to the vehicle restriction.

Any opinions ?

jml11
08-08-2009, 02:42 AM
I asked a CO this question last year and he had a couple theories. One was it was a historical closure from back when Crescent Spur was a booming metropolis, maybe due to range leases etc?. His other theory was that because it is a narrow valley with very steep mountains on either side, it acts as a funnel making it easier to locate game. To be honest, he didn't know the exact reason but he was going to look into it for me but I forgot to follow up with him. He figured that it was closed for some reason back in the day and nobody has lobbied to have it opened up so it just hasn't happened. A quick email to the Region 7a Bio might be good place to ask for more details.

BearSniper
08-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Thank you JML11.

I'll see if I can get an answer from the Bio.

MattB
08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Ive spent a bit of time in there and have seen alot of wolf sign toward the mouth of the Morkill. Seemed like it could be a good spot to hunt, but you have to get a ways back before the valley starts to narrow. Horseback or a mountain bike would be a great way to get back there!