PDA

View Full Version : elk question

Jason Melo
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
OK im new to elk hunting this will be my first year and i have a question.

On the long weekend i was up at my cabin and decided to take a looooong drive in to the bush and came across a very legal elk in a slash and was wondering what the chances are that he will be there comes opening day?I do have some calls that i have recently bought and was wondering if calling is my best bet?

Thanks alot:Jason

Buckmeister
08-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Chances are about a million to one.....in other words, you have a chance ;-)

30-06
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
keep an eye on him. dont get to close to speak him just kind of stalk him if possible to keep him in your sights. find his routine watering hole,feeding hole,living grounds.
good luck !

brad ferris
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
as long as there are some cows around and no one blows him out theres a chance he'll stick in the area.try to keep an eye on him from a distance and don't stink the place up.if you are a bowhunter you don't have as long to wait.good luck.

08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Study them, find where they are coming in and out of the clearings.
Usually they will have common escape routes, it's these area's that you want to position yourself in, when others opening day come into those same clearings. That said, try to make access through the surroundings ( eg a road behind the clearings some decent walking distance away ). Sneak in on a path if you have time to establish one between now and season opening.
Learn to call, rent the Jones, Zumbo, Carleton ETC video's and give it a shot.

For strictly a new beginner, a Cow call is a good start. Way too much to tell you ....... get out there and learn but watch and learn them video's.

As said way to much to say, THEY ARE A GAS TO BUGLE IN !!!!

One of the most exciting hunts you could ask for.

PS don't choke to DEATH on a diaphragm call on you first Hunt
Good Luck

CT

Jason Melo
08-06-2009, 11:25 PM
where would one rent these videos from?

hunter1947
08-07-2009, 04:12 AM
This elk could move to a different location in the next 4 weeks ???.

If you are going to be looking for him on the opening of rifle he might already be in some bow hunters camp hanging ???.

If this bull does hang around till the opening of bow season he might also get pushed out of the area buy bow hunters ???.

Elk are real territorial animals and will stay in the one location till there is hunting presher or lack of water ,as for food.

What I would if me is go back a few times before bow season opens and see if he is still there ,if so then go there the opening of bow season and see if there are any bow hunters in the area that are hunting for him.

If not then go back a few times before rifle and see if you can see him ,one note don't get to close to him when scouting him out he just might move to the next mountain ,good luck.

Jason Melo
08-09-2009, 11:38 PM
in the area that i saw the 7x6 bull there is no bow season i am in the princeton area and it is only open for 6 point elk on sept 25 or 26 cant quite remember off the top of my head.

Thanks everyone for the pointers

BlacktailStalker
08-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Keep back, dont spook him.
If he goes unbothered, he just might be there.
He's there right now for a reason.

You have a starting point anyways, hope you get him.

ElkMasterC
08-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Slim to none.
But if there are elk there, keep workin' it.
You may not find THAT bull again, but ya could find A bull.
That's why we call it hunting.