PDA

View Full Version : Canning Meat ??

trapperdan2061
08-06-2009, 04:23 PM
If a quart jar is processed for 90 min at 10 lb.

Would a pint jar be processed for 45 min at 10 lb.

I want to make smaller jars of meat as we don't always need a quart jar.

Thanks Dan

swamper
08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I do mine in pint jars for 90 min at 15 lb. We use the higher pressure do to higher altitude. The size of the jars makes no difference in the time required.

trapperdan2061
08-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks swamper

Geo.338
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Tell me more about canning meat . Is the meat pre cooked or is it raw when you put it in the jars ?Each year we can up pre cooked meals for our trip north but I have wanted to can up just meat so that one can make a quick stew by just adding veggies or WHY .

c.r.hunter
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Tell me more about canning meat . Is the meat pre cooked or is it raw when you put it in the jars ?Each year we can up pre cooked meals for our trip north but I have wanted to can up just meat so that one can make a quick stew by just adding veggies or WHY .

I like to lightly brown the meat before going in the jars for flavour. I've even seared meat on the BBQ with a smoke pouch going to give some smokey flavour. Works great. I generally top up the jars with stock.

I also did a batch in home made BBQ sauce last fall. Just open the jar, throw it in a pan, break up the meat with a fork & you get something very simmilar to pulled pork. Great quick meal in hunting camp.

trapperdan2061
08-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I raw pack mine, cut meat into 1 inch cubes fill jar to 1 inch from top add 1 tsp liquid smoke, 2 garlic cloves, put on lid and pressure can at 10 psi for 90 min's.

Your done, pour canned meat into pot add veggies, spuds, tomato sauce (home made of course) simmer for 30 min's and enjoy.

Ddog
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
for those of you that seem to have meat in the freezer for too long, this is awesome. i have slightly browned mine although some of the recipes call for raw, i still have slightly browned and seasoned with garlic and onions in olive oil and the meat is actually very rare or blue when canned. opened up its cooked and tender and delicious, i often break it up like you would tuna and add a little mayonaise and make great sandwiches.

308Lover
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
My canner says 90 minutes at 15 lbs for quarts or pints. Same amount of time. As Ddog says, brown it a bit and add a few spices--it's awesome.