PDA

View Full Version : Moose 101? - LEH Moose Hunt close to Revelstoke, 4-38 F Cow/calf or spiked bull

biggameapprentice
08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I’m a new member and have been lucky to draw Cow/calf or spiked bull in 4-38 F. I’ve never hunted moose and have limit experience hunting island deer so I’m new but am really eager :D to learn all I can to prepare for my hunt.

I’m looking for some hunting advice for my new hunt and anyone that knows the area 4-38 F. Any help or advice to help make this hunt extra rewarding would be really helpful and appreciated.

Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. Here are a few things that come to mind.

1) I think my main concerns are moose hunting strategies. I don’t want to be un prepared and not have a game plan.

2) Do’s and don’ts that others have learned the hard way, experienced stories are great!

3) I’m looking to learn some tips or tricks for hunting cow/spiked bulls?

4) Should I be buying a moose calls and suggested strategies how to use them?

5) Reference on learning material to get my learning curve up and pre-prepared.

6) Preparation: What are some of the things that I’m going to likely miss on my first large game hunt?

7) Cutting tool suggestions for my game?

8) Transporting game: I was hoping to travel back to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island to my local butcher but I’m not sure if this is reasonable since I’m a ways in the interior.

9) For transporting my game after dressing should I wrap in a tarp and add a crap load of ice or are there other alternatives?

10) Suggestions or cautions on Field Dressing Moose besides doing a good dress and keeping the meat clean.

11) Suggestions for any local butchers around Revelstoke?

Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions and help.

Joseph

Jelvis
08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Some fair moose hunting in the area -- not sure of your exact spot you can hunt -- that's up to you to know before hand of course -- Highway 23 north out of Revelstoke starts in 4-39 then switches over to 4-38 a few km north of Revelstoke Canyon Dam good road access on the east side for some muley deer lots of black bear and fair moose hunting.
Mica cr., Big Mouth cr. and Goldstream River and or Tangier River are some but you have to check your limitation on border restrictions like your 4-38 F --
Moose are big compared to deer so be prepared to cut it up so to move it -- a hand wood saw and sharp knife and a sharpening stone -- rope -rags.
Drive by swamps, creeks and lakes in the morning early --
Don't know date of hunt -- moose rut from sept 15 to October 20th
Keep eyes open and start early morning drive by water areas --
If you never cut up a moose for the freezer then get a butcher to do it, and air the meat out when you get it down and while transporting -- breathable cloth game bag material --
can't say more til you give the exact time of your hunt -- early season or med or late?
Jel - take a partner if possible for a helping hand

GoatGuy
08-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I’m a new member and have been lucky to draw Cow/calf or spiked bull in 4-38 F. I’ve never hunted moose and have limit experience hunting island deer so I’m new but am really eager :D to learn all I can to prepare for my hunt.

I’m looking for some hunting advice for my new hunt and anyone that knows the area 4-38 F. Any help or advice to help make this hunt extra rewarding would be really helpful and appreciated.

Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. Here are a few things that come to mind.

1) I think my main concerns are moose hunting strategies. I don’t want to be un prepared and not have a game plan.

2) Do’s and don’ts that others have learned the hard way, experienced stories are great!

3) I’m looking to learn some tips or tricks for hunting cow/spiked bulls?

4) Should I be buying a moose calls and suggested strategies how to use them?

5) Reference on learning material to get my learning curve up and pre-prepared.

6) Preparation: What are some of the things that I’m going to likely miss on my first large game hunt?

7) Cutting tool suggestions for my game?

8) Transporting game: I was hoping to travel back to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island to my local butcher but I’m not sure if this is reasonable since I’m a ways in the interior.

9) For transporting my game after dressing should I wrap in a tarp and add a crap load of ice or are there other alternatives?

10) Suggestions or cautions on Field Dressing Moose besides doing a good dress and keeping the meat clean.

11) Suggestions for any local butchers around Revelstoke?

Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions and help.

Joseph

Head up the Bigmouth - look for sign, you should be able to find one wandering around. Check cutblocks and swampy areas, places with willows etc. I wouldn't worry about calling. Glassing and road hunting will work just fine.

Gut your moose and quarter it to make it manageable - there are plenty of threads and websites that will show you how to do that. A pack frame will help a bunch to get things to the vehicle. Lots of guys carry rope/winches/come alongs but at the end of the day you generally still have to quarter your moose to take it home. I find quartering them on the spot makes life easy.

You can buy game bags, but you can also buy sheets, wash them and sew them up with a drawstring at the top - they work great. Probably let the quarters hang for a night before heading home. Should be cool enough to get back to Nanaimo. Wrapping in tarps or plastic isn't a great idea.

If you have anybody experienced that wants to go with you that'll be a big help - if not enjoy your trip and take your time.

If you have any questions feel free.

Good luck.

biggameapprentice
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you, Jelvis and Mandela for replying.

I'll start looking for a pack frame; I've used a sheet before for deer so I'll start working on additional sheets and draw strings and I can see your point about using a tarp, I think I was pondering how to keep the meat cool and protected and it was the first thing that came to mind.

I’m starting to look for info and videos on gutting moose and quartering.

I’m pretty excited about the trip, as it’s my first big game hunt. I like your suggestion to go with someone that has some experience. I know a few members at the fish and game club here in Nanaimo so I’ll start asking around.

The areas has odds of 12 to 1 last season and this season on my LEH draw letter it said 0.5 to 1 so I have to honestly say I was a little concerned that there may be a shortage of moose in the area 4-38 F. as I thought other locals would be drawing for the same MU.

Best Regards,

Joseph

steepNdeep
08-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Mandela, You sure know alot for a seized trigger desk monkey... :mrgreen:

biggameapprentice
08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Mandela, I see you have a fan club, well desk monkey or not I'm taking notes and monkey see, monkey do. I appreciate the advice and help. I can’t imagine that out of 96 views that only two people have added their two cents worth or passed on the chance to take a strip out of the new guy. :grin:

I would love to hear more from others if it’s good, bad, full of criticism or just saying hi.

We picked up a small feeder on the day after seeing the rest of the marina slay 30 to 39lb monsters for a week. Were going back in 7-10 days to catch the next off shore run coming in. Humbling experience when the weather changes and the fish bolt.

GoatGuy
08-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Hey Mandela, You sure know alot for a seized trigger desk monkey... :mrgreen:

I can see the whole province from google earth. No need to actually go hunting when you can sit at home and do the virtual thing. :lol:

GoatGuy
08-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Thank you, Jelvis and Mandela for replying.

I'll start looking for a pack frame; I've used a sheet before for deer so I'll start working on additional sheets and draw strings and I can see your point about using a tarp, I think I was pondering how to keep the meat cool and protected and it was the first thing that came to mind.

I’m starting to look for info and videos on gutting moose and quartering.

I’m pretty excited about the trip, as it’s my first big game hunt. I like your suggestion to go with someone that has some experience. I know a few members at the fish and game club here in Nanaimo so I’ll start asking around.

The areas has odds of 12 to 1 last season and this season on my LEH draw letter it said 0.5 to 1 so I have to honestly say I was a little concerned that there may be a shortage of moose in the area 4-38 F. as I thought other locals would be drawing for the same MU.

Best Regards,

Joseph

There are a pile more LEH auth this year as they're trying to keep the moose down to help the caribou recover.

biggameapprentice
08-07-2009, 04:40 PM
We'll that's great; there is likely moose in that area then.:smile:

Jelvis
08-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Don't forget to take the liver and don't put into closed bag leave open -- moose have huge livers -- and moose heart stuffed with sausage and stuffing will make your taste buds get up and do a tap dance on your tung --
Tung and noze for some too -- don't forget moose brains and scrambled aagz --- Those back straps are all organic, don't panic, bleed moose out with a heart shot -- they bleed out inside from the heart and won't darken the meat --
No head shots -- just behind the front shoulder at the bend in the upper leg --
Do not, I repeat, Do NOT, shoot moose if it is standing in a lake or pond water -- hard enuff on dry ground --
Bring a pard'ner a long it can make a world of a difference but watch the over zealous cutting with sharp k nifes -- Safety and fun -- even if pardner has'nt bin on too many trips take him or her and do the hunt together backing each other up and helping and then sharing some moose protein --
Good luck farmer brown and take a digitally with pixels galore and we'll share the scenery
Jelly Beanery --

Jelvis
08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Ok I looked into it for you and talked to a fella I know from Revy and he says go to Martha Creek and go by two km or so and turn right into meadow after moose meadow -- from me to you -- Martha remember that --turn right 2 km after or so, and Whoomp thar it is ---
Jel -- Google it and topo it and go -- moose up Martha way quite good in here -- POW !

biggameapprentice
08-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Thank you for the post Jelvis

I looked into Martha Creek, and it looks a little south of MU 4-38 F. I could be wrong but the only Martha Creek I could find is in 4-38 D

Thank you for asking and I'll be sure to take a drive up there and look around for future years.

Regards,

Joseph

biggameapprentice
08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the PM's!

Jelvis
08-10-2009, 09:33 PM
No problem the fella said all the way from revy to Mica on either side of the road is pretty dang good for moose and deer so there yah go -- it's a decent spot for hunting moose he said emphatically -- good luck --
Jel --

bowhunterbruce
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
ive hunted bear up that way alot,you shouldnt have any problem seeing lots of moose everyday as long as you go where they go,ie:food, water,and cover.i'm pretty sure bigmouth creek is in your sub region ,just focus on the flat areas around the creek and you will see them,if your able to find a good vantage point for glassing do so then do your stalk.take along chest waders and alot of rope it may save you a ton of sweat and agony up thier
and be sure you start really paying attention as soon as you enter your sub region because you will see alot of them right off the side of the road and you can shoot 15m off the road up there.
the wife and i put in for that whole area up there for many years with no success in getting the draw because we new we would be successful at harvesting an animal.
they are deffinatly in there.
bruce

Jelvis
08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
like Bruce said, about getting up higher and looking down and around -- that's what the fella said too -- get up high and look down into the spots -- or and go out in the latter part of the day spot where they are and be back in the early marnin --
J. P.

GoatGuy
08-10-2009, 09:58 PM
like Bruce said, about getting up higher and looking down and around -- that's what the fella said too -- get up high and look down into the spots -- or and go out in the latter part of the day spot where they are and be back in the early marnin --
J. P.

Who are these guys jelly?

Do tell............

Jelvis
08-10-2009, 10:04 PM
This fella knows game, he travels train tracks for a living and knows animals -- he lived in revy for years -- he also said the big mouth has some fishing -- wam bam thank you Sam -- the train hit a four point mule deer in full velvet -- couple days ago -- the deer went across came back on and ran down the tracks when it got creamed -- he said some deers antlers are shredding already velvet peeling in spots --

GoatGuy
08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
This fella knows game, he travels train tracks for a living and knows animals -- he lived in revy for years -- he also said the big mouth has some fishing -- wam bam thank you Sam -- the train hit a four point mule deer in full velvet -- couple days ago -- the deer went across came back on and ran down the tracks when it got creamed -- he said some deers antlers are shredding already velvet peeling in spots --

does he run the train down to cranbrook too?

Jelvis
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Now he goes out of the loops used to be revy -- goes down to Van and back the tracks cross over -- he sees lots of sheep, elk by Lytton and deer, bear you name it -- I always hit em up for information he knows stuff --
Jel -- I hear that train a comin -- around the Siska --

biggameapprentice
08-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Bruce

Thank you for your post; I'm getting more excited every day. I heard that they had added a number of extra LEH draws for the areas in that region; I'm guessing that there will be 20 or so extra tags in 4-38F and additional tags split up in the surrounding areas.

I’m pondering what week to make my trip for as the draw is from Oct, 15 to Nov 30 and if the snow pushes some of the deer down I may get a good chance at a couple of deer, which would be awesome.

I think in 7 to 10 days I should be able to find some, I’ll be working hard to find them, each day so I’m feeling very positive

Thanks for the reminder about the 15m off the road, I’ll be sure to follow him into the bush and take my shot if possible. That would be much better than dragging one out of a block for my first. I don’t have a quad so it could be interesting.

I would have hoped you would have draw an LEH this year since they did a last minute super draw of extra LEH’s for that areas from what I understand. As mentioned by goatguy I think there clearing out some of the moose for caribou recover.

Anyway, I hope you’re getting out this season for elk or moose. I wish you the best success

Joseph

PM sent

biggameapprentice
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I feel pretty lucky to have such great advice and shared knowledge from you all. I appreciate the PM’s and a special thank you to Grizz59 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=7538) for all the local advice.

Thanks!