PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a quad?

spock
08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Just curious how many of you use a quad while, hunting who goes it on foot?

WKCotts
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Why not a fine blend of the two? take the quad as far as she will go then hoof it!

HighCountry
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
For me I use both foot & Quad.

Elkaholic
Why not a fine blend of the two? take the quad as far as she will go then hoof it!

That is exactly what I do, quad into a non-drivable area and start walking.

500grhollowpoint
yup both.....

Lone Ranger
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I use mine to go where I won't/can't take the 4x4 and I do lots of hiking as well. I personally like the quad because its reasonably quiet (stock exhaust, no performance crap on it) and you can cover an amazing amount of ground in a very short time on it. I've been considering installing an auxiliary muffler on it to make it even quieter for hunting. LR

300wsm
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
quad to the spot then walk. quad is even more handy when pulling out your meat.

300wsm

gary murray
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I use mine just for getting to my stand or blind and for hauling out game.

08-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Gets me way back where trucks don't, then hike from there. Huge on respect of the land though, pisses me off to see tracks from other quad users or groups that Do rip up meadows or area's that have no existing trails, there are ways to use a quad mostly every where without tearing the hell out of the land-scape.
Great for hauling game or taking my girls with me .....
Gotta love a quad, used to use a 3 wheeler and should be in a power wheel chair by now, LOve my Quad !
CT

Vinny
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Love my quad to get me as far from people as possible and then 2 feet and a heartbeat get me that extra mile to have an area all to my lonesome. Great tool for hauling in camp supplies and hauling out meat as well.

ratherbefishin
08-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I do-but its hauled more grandkids than moose quarters...

moosinaround
08-05-2009, 04:41 PM
I like to use the quad to get close then "Hoof" it in. Then if I bag a critter, I'll walk out and get the critter with the quad. It is nice to have to cruise around in the afternoons with. Moosin

257WBYMAG
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I use a quad to get far enough away from anybody else, then I walk from there.

Nimrod
08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't own a quad always just hoof it.
getting game out can be a mission.. try to hunt up hill most of the time.
one day I'll get me one of those contraptions.

RockyMountainHunter1
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
just sold my grizzly 700.I used it a bit mostly bear hunting here on the island it was really useful. I found when i was hunTing most everything else it would come along but always sit in the back of my truck.

newhunterette
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
truck, quad, feet - which ever gets the job done (scared of the dirt bike) oh and Peter's back for hauling the game out

Stresd
08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
No quad. But depending on the situation I may take the Argo to a jumping off point. Then I'm on the hoof for the rest of the day. Never have to worry about getting the meat out with Argy. Have always been able to take the whole moose out in one trip without breaking a sweat.

peterrum3
08-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Always hoofed it in the past, this is the first year that I will be using a UTV. Just used it to haul a ladder stand back in the bush a bit and hauled it on my back for the last 100 yards. My old bones are starting to feel tired this year so looking forward to the UTV to get me part way and then have my walkabouts once I get to sweet spots.

THE SWEDE
08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Jet Sled and Scarpas

tuffteddyb
08-05-2009, 06:42 PM
i use a quad,wife uses her samuri..she has got a bum knee,i walk a lot,or quad makes a great seat for glassing.just got it last year and so far i LOVE it for getting out game!WAYYYYY easier now on this lil fat guy!lol

high and to the right
08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
For the first 3 opening days of the season we quad the trails and back roads in the morning to get the stupid moose that haven't read the regulations and don't know that the hunting season has started. This usually results in one meat moose down. By the time we get it out and get back to the bush with our hunting party for the next moose we have to quad to the good areas and then walk to watering holes, natural salt licks and bedding grounds.

Day 1 - 3 can see a couple hundred KM on the quad. Even if a stupid moose isn't by the cut line, we know where the fresh trails are for tracking. Day 4 - 7 might see us put on only 20 - 30 km during that whole time.

matt420
08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
mostly quad but i do walk a lot as well

wolverine
08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Both. Ride into where I want to set up and then go in by foot a ways after hiding the quad. Allows me to cover more ground for the day instead of just hoofing it.

trailhunter
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
a combo of both has produced for me every year. Heres how i TP creep on the quad.

http://www3.telus.net/public/cedarboy/07%202piont%20012.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/cedarboy/07%202piont%20014.jpg

Frango
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I use a Quad and because of that I don't walk as much as I used too.I used to walk that last 5 km now I walk the last 2 km. I can get my CCP next year so thats an excuse but to be honest the quad has made me lazy.Having said that ,its the best thing since sliced bread.Hauling out a Elk or moose is not the back breaking nighmare it used to be.A toast to the guy who invented a small easy on gas go almost anywhere 4x4..

hunter1947
08-06-2009, 05:21 AM
I have a quad but most times I go on foot ,the quad is only used to get the meat out.

moosecaller
08-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Don't get me going on how people use their quads to rub me "just " the right way. Perfectly healthy guy quads right past me down the only trail in past my truck 100 yards back , ratted muffler on his old honda ,nods, roars around past me fo 5 mins. just long enough to scare everything away and raps past me om the way out with a screw you grin on his pathetic face! And if need be that I can't get the truck or cable to my kill I will bring the argo out to retrieve it. Way too many guys out there giving quads a bad name and alienanting fellow hunters they seem to do it on purpose just because they can! Maybe just my luck but I have not found a curtious quadder yet? Not one will turn around with that look like sorry pal I didn't know you were here, hope I didn't spook your area, quite the contrary I drove in here how dare you walk into this spot I'm going to zip past you and do everything I can do to mess your day! Just my rant, thanks for entertaining my rage.

bowhunterbruce
08-06-2009, 06:04 AM
i have had a quad since 04 and i got i because of the ease at which we used a borrowed one to get out 2 moose in 1 day .we were back in camp by 2pm after they were downed around 9 am.the moose were dropped 2 1/2 km past were the nearest vehicle could get.
now i own one for a number of different reasons ,ya for the ease of retreaving game but also to get my better half into spots she would normaly never see or be able to hunt do to her health.
bruce

moosinaround
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
i have had a quad since 04 and i got i because of the ease at which we used a borrowed one to get out 2 moose in 1 day .we were back in camp by 2pm after they were downed around 9 am.the moose were dropped 2 1/2 km past were the nearest vehicle could get.
now i own one for a number of different reasons ,ya for the ease of retreaving game but also to get my better half into spots she would normaly never see or be able to hunt do to her health.
bruce
You guys are going to see some wonderful country this year Bruce! Good luck again with the moose hunt! Moosin

jasper
08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
had one since 05 best investment i ever made opened alot of country helped me haul out two elk and a mule deer last season gets you back in the bush and let your eyes ears and feet do the rest

ratherbefishin
08-06-2009, 07:07 AM
I like that additional muffler on the quad-anything to reduce noise.The old CT90'S were pretty quiet.The worst were those 2 cycle high reving off road dirt bikes-you would walk in before day break and just before you got there-the morning would be shattered by dirt bikes coming roaring past you,may as well turn around and go back to camp

Geronimo
08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't have one--maybe after the next 6/49 ----but they seem like the way to go-for now it's Truck'n foot and the old back carryall haha

gary murray
08-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't have one--maybe after the next 6/49 ----but they seem like the way to go-for now it's Truck'n foot and the old back carryall haha
You should go borrow one for a weekend from a friend and i believe some dealerships will let you use one for a day or two to try their product. Once you try it, you'll be hooked and doing whatever it takes to get one. That's what happened to me. Buddy lent me his quad, got a deer with it, loaded it on the front and hauled it out with ease. I just knew i had to have one after that and lucky for me i found a 1994 Yamaha 4x4 Timberwolf 250 for $2400.00. You don't need to go all out for your first quad money wise. Hell, i know guys that are using those 3 wheelers still. Get something that will do you for now until you're ready for one with all the toys attached such as GPS, gun boots and the extras.

ratherbefishin
08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Keep your eyes open for a good used one-I got mine from an estate sale-a 2003 Polaris 600 sportsman with less than 1600 k on it for $2500.It was an old guy with a heart condition who just used to go up and down the hill on his lakefront property .

MOWITCH SLAYER
08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Both ! I use the quad to get me there and to pack out but most of my game are taken from sitting in the back of old cutblocks

tomahawk
08-06-2009, 07:20 PM

X two...........

Walksalot
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I used to park my truck in the dark and start to hike but now I cable my quad to a tree in the dark and start to hike.

Used responsibly they are a great tool. Used irresponsibly they are habitat destroyers of significant proportions.

bowhunterbruce
08-06-2009, 08:06 PM
You guys are going to see some wonderful country this year Bruce! Good luck again with the moose hunt! Moosin
thanks mr.moosin and hey if your up that way after the 19th of sept.we are gonna try to get a spot at kennedy lake rec site.
bruce

08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Like most people on here i ride to the block and walk up the mountain. But i do have to agree with Moose Caller, i've been walking down one way washed out mud pit no good roads to drive with my truck parked at the front all but blocking the road, and had people drive right buy me on quads. One guy shot a moose 5 min walk past me! When i arrived he appoligized but it is still poor ethics and that was going to be my moose. It is not illegal to pass a walker, but it is ethically wrong. And we dont need to strike fights amongst ourselves. Thats why there's hippies out there

Bearen 09
08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I have used my quad to haul out moose and elk!!! The rest of the time i am foot power. Love the walk in.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Barracuda
08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
there are times i would love a quad but i use a bike. I notice that there are a few good deals on quads right now such as the 350 yamaha 4x4 for $4999(big billboard on lougheed) be nice if the other big makers would follow suit and make them a reasonable price.

Phreddy
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Just picked up a new CanAm Max400XT and plan on getting a lot of use out of it packing my sorry old ass up into the hight country where my Blazer won't go, to see if there's any good spots I've not hunted before.
Too fat and old to do a lot of hoofing and just want to get into a good tree stand area, set up, and wait. Packing out with the quad is a dream I''m told, so Marty & Dave should have it pretty easy this year.
I looked at a bigger rig (650) but the dealer (Reicherts in Tulameen) said that for what I wanted to do with it the 400 was plenty ample. Not interested in doing all that fancy stuff the young kids do and tear up the environment.

jwe63
08-07-2009, 10:24 PM
quad to the spot then walk. quad is even more handy when pulling out your meat.

300wsm

Need a quad to pull out your meat?............i know, but I have a sick mind.

08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
its not the quad to pull out the meat....
but it is the choker that hurts

Devilbear
08-08-2009, 02:47 AM
At 63, I have never even sat on a "trike", "dirt bike" or "quad", all of which can be useful tools in agriculture, forestry or other such activities. I do not consider "quads" to be appropriate for fishing, hunting and would LOVE to see their use banned for any such back country pursuits, this after years of witnessing morons damage meadows, streams and unstable hillsides with them.

As to the "old" and "health" issues, I still backpack and have had very serious orthopaedic injuries since my early teens; if I can do it, so can anyone else. I have always thought that hunting was about HUNTING and more than just killing and roaring through the countryside like a wannabe Panzer Division.

Horses, Mules, Lamas, pack goats, game carts, bicycles, pulks, toboggans, backpacks, pack dogs and the "quads" God gave you, IMO, these are what "hunting" should be about.

mcrae
08-08-2009, 07:20 AM

x2 for me saves me money on my gas and keeps my 98 Ford F-150 in the low kms:biggrin:. Its great for getting the kids out with me as well.

steelheadSABO
08-08-2009, 07:31 AM
ill be using both this year

phoenix
08-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Quads? Why waste your time? Get the ultimate hunting vehicle, Rokon. Mine are both the 2-stroke models but the new 4-strokes are even better. When my buddies have to park their quads I just keep riding. They'll go as far as you have the nerve to take them:eek:
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/P3300044.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/P3300045.jpg

doubled
08-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Quad to cover area, get to remote spots and pack meat. Feet to explore and walk areas steep, thick or otherwise not smart to quad about in.

BCBigGame
08-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Always hoof it, don't own a quad never will! I have no problem with the honest guy using his quad, if quads are around I let them pass or go else where. The other type of quad user drives me insane, driving in restricted areas or hours when they aren't supposed to be out. Pass me and you will be reported.

waistdeep
08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
my quads eat grass, and oh, and it also "hoofs it"

Buck Skin
08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
im a walker i like it better.

slicky72
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Like a bunch of you I use the quad to get in the general area but I hunt on foot.