PDA

View Full Version : bush knife

steelheadSABO
08-05-2009, 11:33 AM
what would your choice be for a good bush/camp knife for around 100$.i like the cariboo blades wiseman bushcraft knife but it is 500$ out of my price range:eek:

Charlie
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a few different knives I use. last year I bought a Knives of Alaska Bushmaster camp knife. Its a nice knife, bought it on sale at Sportsman's.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalog/prod_display.aspx?from=Fixed%20Blade%20Knives&cat=Bushmaster%20ATK

This is my primary camp knife now. Its small enough to use cutting meat/veggies etc, and its large enough to hack branches etc...

08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
nothing beats a fixed blade buck knife with gut hook

Pete
08-06-2009, 03:36 AM
If you are clearing trails go and look at a Sandvik brush cutter they are by far the best for that type of work. I have used them for years clearing trails on the trapline.

Mr. Friendly
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I would recommend you go to CGN and look through the threads under their knives forum. there are some crazy steel nuts there. a nice article on your steels and the pro's/con's on them too.

The Dawg
08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a few custom knives that I really like that Ddog made.

He does incredible work, and is worth every penny.

Check out some of his projects on here. Go custom :)

Dirty
08-06-2009, 10:13 PM
SOG Jungle Primitive

Junorr500
08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Get a K-Bar

papaken
08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
One knife, is never enough!

papaken
08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
One knife, is never enough!

I always carry at least 3 knives when hunting. Even good quality knives can break or be lost. Also a good bush knife is not always the best choice for gutting and skinning. I have been lucky over the years between garage sales and flea markets I have acquired many good knives. Cold Steel Trailmaster $10.00, Kershaw folder $10.00,Outdoor Edge Gameskinner $10.00. These are the ones I pack now. Throw in a game saw and a multi-tool and haven't found to much you can't handle around camp.

Blacktail
08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
depends on what you are using the blade for.
If you need a good camp blade and a brush clearing blade go with separate knives and/or types od machetes or axes.
If it is for gutting and skinning get a good fixed blade.

I carry 3 or 4 blades with me when I hunt and a short handle hatchet for quartering.
I might be able to help you with a good fixed blade :cool:

check out my profile for my home page aqnd look at some of my work:biggrin:

Jetboater
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
olfa carpenter works fine for me.... you guys and your fancy knives....

Flin Flon
08-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I carry several knives a saw and a small axe but it's hard to beat the
BUCK 119 special is a good nice priced beautiful knive

Buck
08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Ditto for the Buck 119

apieceofsky
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I like the victorinox skinning knives, there's a reason they or similar typs are used in all slaughter houses worldwide. Hold a good edge,easy to sharper as the steel is just the right hardness.
My 2nd knife is 5 inch victorinox boning knife.Then just a buck folder for cutting sh*t with like rope or whatever.
I've been a butcher for almost 8 years and have slaughtered about 2000 cattle for what we call "home kill" in NZ. Different strokes for different folks but I could'nt care for those brand knives when it comes to fixed blades. All the sheeps throat's cut and pigs jugulars stuck bloody perfectly with the victorinox. Forget Kbar and the like!

FlyingHigh
08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
best budget all around fix blade i've ever seen is the Buck 119. it's an excellent knife for the money, under $100.

however, i rarely carry mine anymore. it lives in my glovebox now. i'm using a BarkRiver Kephart. it runs about $250, but is worth every penny. it has a convex grind, allowing it to hold a sharper edge longer. it's the perfect size for a bush carry knife.

MRP
08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Save your $$$
Out skins out last all those big dollar knifes, been packing the same knife for close to 20 years.
http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm

Ddog
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
i would not pay $250 for a production knife made from cpm steel and a RH of 58, not worth it to me, for $250 you can get a real nice one of a kind custom knife to your specific specifications.
being a knifemaker like Blacktail and a few others on here i would do a lot of checking around and see how much money you have to spend and go from there.
i agree with the buck 119, i like mine alot, and i also dont care to much if i lose it because you can get them at Wal-Mart for $59.
so if its just a camp/ bush knife your looking for and you like to beat it up i would go for the buck 119, if you want to spend a little more money and get a bigger knife i would talk to Blacktail or myself and go custom, its not as much as you may think.
JMO....cheers

ElectricDyck
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I like my buck 119 as well, it's great for deboning because of the length. I also like the good solid sheath so you can wear it without fear of losing it.

Jerry D
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Buck 119 is a GREAT knife for the price. Solid with 1/4 inch of steel running along the blunt edge to a nice curved point for the last 2.5 inches of the blade. Blade is 6" long. Really easy to sharpen. Has a good sized handle and good weight along with a very thick/strong/good quality sheath - all for about $50. IMO is the best bang for the buck by a long shot!

I highly suggest it. Can't go wrong. I'm thinking about picking up another one myself.

I personally will never be going back to a folding knife unless its a pocket knife. They lack the strength of a good fixed blade.

Here is a link to the Buck 119. http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3051 - At Canadian Tire they sell em for ~50

Devilbear
08-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I have used a lot of knives and gave many of mine to my various nephews. I now have about a dozen and my favourite "bush knife" is an OSK by Mississippi maker Charlie May; he is a fine craftsman and this is in SV30 while my Gene Ingram set is in D2. Ingram is a superb maker but it now takes 4+ years to get one of his blades.

I will pay for custom knives simply because I find they work better and last longer. I have a pair of gorgeous O'Connell knives that my wife gave me for our first Christmas in '82 and they have done a fair number of deer and are still like new.

For a "beater", I use a Cold Steel Masterhunter I found on sale in Victoria, years ago, when there was a really neat knife store there.

crofton_hunter
08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Buck knives always seved me well and usually under $100, they are pretty reasonale with their warenty too.