PDA

View Full Version : Senior antlerless elk in Kootenays

johnedixon
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm a newbie, senior citizen, heading to the Kootenays for my first
antlerless elk hunt. I will try to participate in the farmer-hunter
program set out in the regs. I'm a lifelong rifle shooter and deer hunter, and have that part of the equation in hand. But I would deeply appreciate any advice, tips on best areas, best time,
and best way to handle that much meat in warm weather.

humanhound
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
i have never hunted elk before, as i am moving to B.C myself in a couple weeks so cant help with the hunting part,
but the care of the meat in warm weather it would be the same as moose
- remove the hide as fast as possible(quater or debone animal depending how far in the busd you are)
-remove any "bloodshot" from quater and place it in salt water(it is still eatable after a good soaking)
-wrap the quaters or meat in "cheese cloth"
-If there are lots of flys and the weather is warm cover meat in pepper

humanhound
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
salt can also be used instead of pepper

bighornbob
08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
As the hunting is all done in the lowland, there will probably be no packing involved. My guess is back the truck or quad right to it and load it whole. Take to camp or where ever and skin the thing whole. Take to a butcher in fernie or Cranbrook to hang for a few days.

Easiests way.

BHB

d6dan
08-05-2009, 03:44 PM
johnedixon. wheres your draw?.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

bozzdrywall
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
d6dan he would not have to draw he is a senior but the best place for a cow would be right along the hy way between fernie and cranbrook find a spot and take a few back roads you will see lots of elk.

d6dan
08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
d6dan he would not have to draw he is a senior but the best place for a cow would be right along the hy way between fernie and cranbrook find a spot and take a few back roads you will see lots of elk.

Okay, go in behind Galloway mill. Little sand ck. lots of flat tops and easy driving, wait a minute?. i should have that opportunity, i mean i can't walk, what the hell is wrong with this system:cry:?.

TheDuckinator
08-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Two words.... Google Earth! It is a free satellite imaging program that basically allows you to scout while being miles away. Talk to the farmers, even if they dont have regular elk on there farm I bet they will know someone who does. If your going in the rocky mountain trench area pm me I might be able to help you out :p

22savage
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
google cow elk hunting in cranbrook.you should be able to find the zone x map and some old post off this site to get an idea of where to go and some areas you might want to stay away from depending on the experience you are looking for.

blackford
08-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Honestly it was the biggest waste of time... I went last year with a party of 3 seniors...

Long story short is we were the first people to register... only to learn that we were put on Crown Land..... (didntn know i needed to register to hunt on this land)

Anyways we were assured that nobody after us would get a farm to hunt on and sure enough the next people walked up to the house and said.... we are going to your moms..so basically it was put on hold for them....

I talked to the guys at the gas station and apparently there are alot of " Christmas Gifts to ensure they are not forgotton...

hunter1947
08-06-2009, 05:19 AM
If you are there in the early season and it is very warm out ,get it to a cooler as soon as you can.
If your camped somewhere and it is late season hunt and the weather is cool then get the hide off as soon as you can and hang it up to cool off and dry in a shaded area ,we hang our elk under a bridge with cool running water running in the creek.

boatdoc
08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Honestly it was the biggest waste of time... I went last year with a party of 3 seniors...

Long story short is we were the first people to register... only to learn that we were put on Crown Land..... (didntn know i needed to register to hunt on this land)

Anyways we were assured that nobody after us would get a farm to hunt on and sure enough the next people walked up to the house and said.... we are going to your moms..so basically it was put on hold for them....

I talked to the guys at the gas station anrgd apparently there are alot of " Christmas Gifts to ensure they are not footton...

Had a similar experience last year with the hunt co-ordinator ,Susan.
I phoned early and was told my kids, youth hunters, would have a place on a farm on opening day. i stayed in contact to make sure this would work out and was told no problem its all arranged i have your kids down for such and such farm. When we went to register the day before the opening ,as she told us to do, we were informed that there was no place but that we could hunt crown land?
I happened to speak to her daughter who was helping her out that day and was surprised to hear about how her husband and friends had a great farm to go to and low and behold it was the same place Susan had said my kids had been assigned.
There were a few of there that day who left shaking our heads.
I talked to two oldtimers who had been put on a farm with many other people the year before and said it was like a war zone.
I decided not to lodge a complaint at the time but maybe i will reconsider now as i am still P O about it . Our hunting trip to the Kootenays was based on the premise of my kids getting an oportunity to hunt elk on a farm. If i had been told that we would not get the opportunity i would not have wasted my time going to register or might have taken them moose hunting up north again.
We did have an excellent trip and i really enjoyed the family time.
I am going back to the Kootenays again this year but won't waste my time with the hunt co-ordinator.