PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunting??Trail Area

humanhound
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Hello
I recently found out that I am going to be transferred to Trail B.C, Being an active hunter here in Ontario (ducks/deer/bear/moose) all my life I am looking into hunting opportunities in Trail.
Just wondering
Is it worth while bringing my duck/goose hunting gear (decoys calls/laydown blinds) to this area?

Thanks for your help

kootenay redneck
08-04-2009, 08:43 AM
hi there. It it is good hunting here in the west kootneys not only in trail but the surronding area for deer and bear, moose is leh for mature and elk is leh as for water fowl hunting not to sure but there is a open turkey season here in the fall which real popular. as well the fishing in the columbia river is world class lots of good places to catch rainbow and walley, any questions i'll be more than willing to help you out good luck on your move..

Buck
08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I believe Creston has good waterfowling which is near Trail.

Gunner
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
The Creston wetlands have good duck shooting and good goose hunting in adjacent farmland(with landowner permission of course!).Good luck,and welcome to BC! Mur

bad arrow
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Dont forget your fishing rod, as there is some good fishing nearby.

rogerb
08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
as mentioned, creston is the nearest good waterfowling area. an hour & a bit from Trail. good whitetail hunting while you're there too. definitely bring your decoys & layout blind and if you've got them, bring a shallow water duck boat and/or retriever! pm me once you're settled in & we can give you more detailed info.

Chuck
08-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Although there are ducks and geese in the areas near to Trail, it isn't a hot area by any means. No major flyways through here, such as much further east or west. The geography doesn't support abundant feeding and resting areas. As mentioned, Creston, at the southeast end of Kootenay lake, is the closest you'll come to real waterfowl hunting. Any serious waterfowl fanatics usually travel to Alberta or Saskatchewan for their shooting. Local birds imo aren't noted for their palatability.

TheDuckinator
08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
One word.... MOJO! It is the only reason we bother duck hunting, it is a duck vacuum, you could set it up in your swimming pool and still limit out in a few hours :p

bridger
08-06-2009, 02:48 AM
best waterfowl hunting in the province is in the peace country (fort st john dawson creek etc) or in the vanderhoof area in the centre of the province. if you like all types of hunting and fishing opportunities you will think you have arrived in heaven. welcome to bc.