PDA

View Full Version : New Zealander looking for work as hunting guide/packer in Canada

TOP_PREDATOR
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Is there any guides/outfitters on this forum that are looking for guides or packers for the hunting season next year??? I was up in Canada in October this year,i got to do some bird shooting and see quite a lot of big game. I'm interested in coming by to Canada next year and would like to get some work as a guide or just packing out animals. I'm not sure what the laws are on Non-residents guiding in Canada. Cheers James

timber
12-11-2005, 11:13 PM
you have to be a bc res and over 19.

Sniper
12-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Don't you need to take a course and write an exam to be legal as an assistant guide? Top_Predator There is an assistant guide course offered by some outfitters I believe I saw it advertised in the B.C. hunting regs, I wouldn't even consider starting into assistant guiding or hiring a totaly green person without this course. No offence intended but the great Canadian outdoors can be a dangerous place. Good Luck:grin:

Thunderstix
12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Chilcotin Holidays or some such place offers it.

ex bc guide
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
You do not need to take a course or exam to become a assistant guide.you get hired by the outfitter and he then goes and gets you a assistant guides license.
Mike

steveo32
12-12-2005, 12:27 PM
I work as a assitant guide and all the outfitter has to do is go and get you the liscence, but you have to be over the age of 19 and most outfitters want you to normally have your pal or fac!

The best guide school just closed its doors it was put on by the lancasters and from what i have heard about the place they did an excellent job!

As for chilcoten hollidays i would not recomend going to their school seeing as you pay them to do the same stuff you would if you got hired as a wrangler with any other outfit!

just my 2 cents

steve

Barracuda
12-12-2005, 12:29 PM
http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications.htm

hitch
12-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Most outfitters have there hunts already booked for next season and are already in the process if hiring for next season. If you looking for a job and have no experiance you might be looking at being a packer or guides assistant. I would look for the area in BC that you want to work and contact all the outfitters in the region and see if they are looking for more hands next season. There tend to be a lot of turn over with packers, wranglers and part time guides.:smile:

youngfellla
12-13-2005, 12:45 AM
The guide school does not get you a license, you get 'Guide Certification' which will usually get you hired with an outfitter who in turn will get you licensed. The school put on by Stan Lancaster was awesome, unfortunately he stopped doing it because he couldn't get any government assistance and was tired of footing most of the bill himself. Go figure. There is another outfitter who offers the guide school, I believe it is Collingwood.

Brambles
12-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I think in order to come to Canada from another Commonwealth country and actually legally work you must be under the age of 26. If my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure someone will correct me if things have changed

Brambles

heybert
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
You need to talk to Immigration Canada in order to get a work permit. You'll need to show that you have the qualifications to do it and a guide needs to show that they actually want to hire you. Good luck!