PDA

View Full Version : Bow only Mtn Goat area - Reg. 6?

islandarcher
08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Who has hunted the Bow Only mountain goat area between Moricetown and Smithers? I didn't get a draw, and thought this might be a nice area area to try relativley close to home. From the maps I looked at access look good, lots of drainagges to cover, and a campground nice and close if the wife ants to come along.

Bowtime
08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I haven't hunted it but plan to this year also. I talked to a man this winter that took one up there, Small billy. I would be in search of a Good billy. 9 1/2 inch. There should be a few up there. it has very little pressure.

boonerbuck
08-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't know anything about that one but there's another option just south of Hazelton that you access off of the Suskwa fsr.

islandarcher
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I think we are talking the same area Booner. Blunt mountain and Seaton mountain. Suskwa river is the Norther border, Harold Price Creek the East, Hwy 19 the West and Blunt Creek the south.

boonerbuck
08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I think we are talking the same area Booner. Blunt mountain and Seaton mountain. Suskwa river is the Norther border, Harold Price Creek the East, Hwy 19 the West and Blunt Creek the south.

Yep, Blunt. Looked at that mountain hundreds of times...:lol:

Bowtime
08-03-2009, 09:54 PM
what time of the year do you plan on going islandarcher??

islandarcher
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Not too sure Bowtime. I have never huntied mountain goat before. Just moved to Terrace in March from Victoria. Never done any kind of hunting that can compare to backpacking in for goats, but I can't wait. Probably take a poke around labour day long weekend.

boonerbuck
08-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Not too sure Bowtime. I have never huntied mountain goat before. Just moved to Terrace in March from Victoria. Never done any kind of hunting that can compare to backpacking in for goats, but I can't wait. Probably take a poke around labour day long weekend.

I've hunted goats several times around Hazelton. I like late Sept there. They are moving out if the impossible stuff and you never know when you are going to see a whopper down lower.

The problem with late Sept/Oct is not just the possibilty of snow up high, but glassing visibility sometimes is only in windows throughout the day. We usually bring the Steelhead gear and keep and eye on the sky. Soon as it looks like the high fog is lifting we switch back to the optics and have the gear on standby.

I may be able to get a few tips on Blunt mountain from some friends I have. I've asked in the past and was told a few things but its vanished from my mind. I was a more active bow hunter a few years back but haven't done much in recent years.

Bowtime
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Labour day long would be a good choice. I find their winter coats really start coming in then. Before that the hair is very short. Start sept they will get that beard growing. I might head up near the end of august just to see some goats and get in hunting mode. I also drew a goat tag in region 6. So I might hold out for a larger one with my rifle. We will see. If I do go up, I'll let you know what I see.

sparky4
06-02-2015, 12:21 PM
I know that this is hard earned information but I was hoping to get some info on Blunt mountain and Seaton mountain access? Best way(s) to access the alpine?

khoffnbud
06-02-2015, 12:39 PM
I know that this is hard earned information but I was hoping to get some info on Blunt mountain and Seaton mountain access? Best way(s) to access the alpine?

Really? On the first post? Kinda rude don't ya think

sparky4
06-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Wasn't trying to be rude. It's a bow only region that, as far as I know, it not heavily used. Not looking for goat info just if anyone that lives in the area knew of forestry road access.

khoffnbud
06-02-2015, 02:32 PM
I know that probably wasn't your intention but first post and straight to digging for info, you gotta work into that kinda stuff

Ambush
06-02-2015, 07:20 PM
It's a bow only region that, as far as I know, it not heavily used.

It's become a pretty busy place in the last few years. A ton of hikers as well.

greybark
06-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Hey sparky4 , I was fortunate to harvest a bow Billy on Blunt quite awhile back . I do remember going in from the South on a series of FSRs , then quad , then 4-5 hours non- stop where goats were spotted . The following year extreme heat of an early season hunt ended early as with goats in sight we felt little chance to save the meat . Expect quite a variance in weather .
This had to be over thirty years ago and sorry with the vague info .

PS: the guide knew I was in there (alone) and made it tough for me to get out with a series of tree falls across the trail .

sparky4
06-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Thank you :-)

40incher
06-03-2015, 11:21 AM
My son dragged me off my butt and up there a couple of years ago. The access to the alpine on Blunt is relatively easy from the Suskwa road. From what we saw the goat numbers are down, likely as a result of a large wolf pack in that valley.

I shot a my first billy on Seaton over 40 years ago when the access was tough ... it's a lot easier now from the Blunt Creek Road that takes off near Moricetown. One thing I do remember was a distinct lack of water on Seaton.