PDA

View Full Version : Bear Lake 1 north of PG

Arctic Lake
08-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello Fellas
Anyone who has read any of my post's that I have on here will know my situation at present,no hunting this year.I would like to know how my old hunting grounds are holding up.I'm talking about east and northeast of Bear Lake.How's the moose population?Have the grizzlies and wolves taken over?I would really like to know how that area is doing
Many Thanks!
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow! Just checked in and 47 views to the thread but not one response,guess no one has hunted that location for awhile
Arctic Lake

jml11
08-01-2009, 08:04 PM
The moose pop is doing quite fine out there but the lack of recent logging activity is making access difficult. The moose densities have been high during winter counts but due to the lack of access and grown up blocks harvest rates aren't as good as they were a few years ago. Having said that, my hunting group has taken at least one bull out of 7-16 each of last four years, without much effort either! The elk numbers are one the rise in that neck of the woods as well.

hillclimber
08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
i filled out in that area this year for the late august hunt but didn't get it. looked liked a good area to hunt on google earth. lots of logged areas

moosinaround
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Took a blackie out there this spring. Actually seen a few moose each time we went out. Seen a dry cow with no calf, and twin immatures!!:shock: Soo I would say the moose are loose! Grizz hunters where frustrated when I was talking to a guide, was late this spring, lots of snow! Head out and bag a rubber nose!! Moosin

jml11
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
i filled out in that area this year for the late august hunt but didn't get it. looked liked a good area to hunt on google earth. lots of logged areas

Definitely lots of logging up there but virtually none in the past two years and very little in the past 4-5. Most of the blocks you can see on Google earth are greened up,difficult to hunt and have deactivated access roads. The google earth imagery is from 2006 and earlier so none of the most recent logging shows up. Also google earth does not show which roads are overgrown, washed out or deactivated :-?.

Arctic Lake
08-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Hello jml11 and the rest of you good fellas
Thank You for responding to my thread.my partner and I hunted that area quite a few years, then my personal problems got in the way,it's been about 8+years since I have been there.
Thanks
Arctic Lake

hillclimber
08-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Definitely lots of logging up there but virtually none in the past two years and very little in the past 4-5. Most of the blocks you can see on Google earth are greened up,difficult to hunt and have deactivated access roads. The google earth imagery is from 2006 and earlier so none of the most recent logging shows up. Also google earth does not show which roads are overgrown, washed out or deactivated :-?.

thanks for the info. i filled out for zone C?? i believe and was focusing either on the chuchinka fsr or the wicheeda? (something like that) do you know what these roads are like.

Thanks

todbartell
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
ask Jelvis how the hunting is

moosehunter21
08-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Pretty Decent moose numbers. As previously stated some roads are not in good shape due to de-activations and overgrowth.

popcan
08-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Near Willow Creek / Newlands area?
or is that too far north and east?

I was in 7-07 last fall. There was a Grizzly in the area, made the moose skittish (and us too).

Arctic Lake
08-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't have the MU's numbers in front of me right this moment ,and I'm sorry but I really do not want to give the exact location were we used to go..But I will tell you that east of the town of Bear Lake in past the mill.There is some pretty nice country back in there towards Arctic Lake,hence my online handle.Also around Tacheeda Lakes.Has anyone ever gone over that old corduroy road through the swamp towards Arctic Lake,man that is freaky.What about those big old cottonwoods kinda spooky.

I have read some of Jel's posts but quite honestly, I have no idea what he say's in his post's.I am in no way slaming Jel but I just do not get the english he speaks.Myself I like plain english.Maybe he or some one else can explain
Thanks
Arctic Lake

DawgGone
08-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Moose populations are doing well for now. The wolves and grizzly populations have been increasing steadily for 6 to 7 years now.

I have talked to guides from 7-16 who say the moose are staying quite during the rut because of the wolves and the grizzlies, and that it is affecting the moose populations.

I live near Bear Lake and can say the predators are a problem and Fish & Wildlife isn't doing much about it.

moosinaround
08-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Near Willow Creek / Newlands area?
or is that too far north and east?

I was in 7-07 last fall. There was a Grizzly in the area, made the moose skittish (and us too).
You are too far south! Sorry you need to start a thread about where your leh tag is for! Hijacker!!:wink:

Viking
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
We got a moose out of 7-23 last year and going up there again this year. The road from Tacheeda lakes to parsnip river is in rough shape. The 700 rd from Bear lake to parsnip is not too bad. Was up there a few weeks ago.

trigger78
08-03-2009, 07:41 AM
i hunted 7 -23 last fall and the 10 days i was there 9 mature bulls and 3 immatures were taken seen 2 grizzlys and 1 black bear. the wolves were in our camp 2 nights dont know how many but it sounded like 30. i thought there was lots of animals , but they were all shot on the road . the willows and bush is to thick to hunt . oh and two cow calve pairs were taken as well. i didnt see much for cows there ,and the c/o stopped by and basically said they wanted the moose out of the valley so they could help the woodland caribou. hope this is what you were looking for.

PGK
08-03-2009, 07:54 AM
i hunted 7 -23 last fall and the 10 days i was there 9 mature bulls and 3 immatures were taken seen 2 grizzlys and 1 black bear. the wolves were in our camp 2 nights dont know how many but it sounded like 30. i thought there was lots of animals , but they were all shot on the road . the willows and bush is to thick to hunt . oh and two cow calve pairs were taken as well. i didnt see much for cows there ,and the c/o stopped by and basically said they wanted the moose out of the valley so they could help the woodland caribou. hope this is what you were looking for.

You connected on 16 moose in 10 days??? Holy.

Arctic Lake
08-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Viking, when you say the road to the Parsnip from Tacheeda is in bad shape do you mean 4 wheel drive only?8 years ago you didn't need a 4x4 to get in there.I think the railway kept it up to accses the tracks,but then again I guess they can use the tracks instead.The cutblocks had nice browse then but I guess that's all grown up now.There was no active logging up that way if I remember correctly.Do you guys know about that cordoroy road through the swamp on the road to Arctic Lake?Dawggone,Viking and trigger Thanks for your great input!
Good on you and trigger for your success!

Arctic Lake

PGK
08-03-2009, 08:31 AM
The 800 is in good shape from Bear Lake to Tacheeda but the section from Tacheeda to the Parsnip is major suckage. I dont know what it would look like in wet weather, but it's riddled with big potholes. You basically have to idle from Tacheeda to the Parsnip if you like your truck

Viking
08-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Just full of pot holes like PGK said. The railway does not keep it up as they travel on the tracks with their trucks. Only logging I know of is small patches here and there, nothing major. I take it, the cordoroy road you mention, is the part that is flooded most of time heading towards Arctic lake. Been through that lots of times over the years and the first time was in a car back in the early eighties.

jml11
08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
I live near Bear Lake and can say the predators are a problem and Fish & Wildlife isn't doing much about it.

What do you propose they do? MoE has increased the number of moose authorizations, extended the bull moose season by nearly a month (opens aug 15 on LEH), extended the calf season by 10 days and initiated a December antlerless LEH for moose in an effort to reduce moose numbers which they hope will knock back the predators. Some of these LEH hunts go undersubscribed or are never utilized. Also there is essentially no closed season or bag limits on wolves there so really it's the hunters that can do more.

jml11
08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
thanks for the info. i filled out for zone C?? i believe and was focusing either on the chuchinka fsr or the wicheeda? (something like that) do you know what these roads are like.

Thanks

7-16 C is the biggest zone of the MU and as a result has some better access. The Chuchinka network of roads are fine, these are main FSRs and maintained (well supposed to be) by MoF and not forest licencees so they are usually in drivable shape. Many have named these roads already, I believe the main chuckinka is the 700 road? The north fraser road along the south of the zone is drivable too but is pot hole riddled right now and not much fun to drive. Except for the first few kilometers of this road, ctublocks are greened up and spur roads are partially to fully overgrown anyways.

Arctic Lake
08-04-2009, 08:01 AM
As talked about earlier I use Arctic Lake as my site name,but I was only near there once.Is there a road right down to the lake?Has anyone hunted around the lake or the far end?Would be good to hear about it for future propects.Not sure if I remember correctly but I think it was logged right down to the shore all around the lake,set me straight if this is not the case
Many Thanks
Arctic Lake

greasysidedown
08-04-2009, 09:02 AM
You can not drive into Artic lake. There are 7-8 beaver dams you have to drag your boat over to get into the lake.

Viking
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
The cut block just past the second bridge goes right down close to the slough by the lake and the trail by the tree line is as close as you can/could drive to it, but most likely overgrown by now and the cut block may be grow in too. We got to within 100 yards of the slough close to where the creek run out of the lake, but a steep drop to it. A few years since I been in there. Last time I was there I took the canoe and went down the slough and got within a half mile from the bridge where we parked to paddle down down Parsnip to Arctic creek.

Arctic Lake
08-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I like that Parsnip River,but man can it come up in a hurry do to heavy rain.Lots of the smaller rivers runing into the Parsnip.There is quite a bit of country to explore back in that neck of the woods.
Arctic Lake