PDA

View Full Version : last minute luck!

mark
12-10-2005, 11:48 PM
well i decided to giver one last try this afternoon as i always do on closing day. my quad is broke so that kept me out of my favorite area, (which i saw 50 deer and 2 lil bucks yesterday.) any how i tried 3 different areas today that i thought might show me somethin but all i saw was snowmobiles and christmas tree people. a few hikes but still no deer in the crunchy snow :-| . so i called it a year and started to drive home, on a rural section of road not far from home and 15 min before dark a lil 2 point runs across the road and up the bank. well he wasnt the booner ive been holdin out for but what the heck 10 min to fill the last tag ya cant be to fussy. so i grab the bow and go after him. after climbin the steep bank i crest the top lookin for my lil 2 point theres a big buck 40 yards broadside in the open. i let one fly, felt good, the buck runs 20 yards, stops and looks at me. probably 55 yards broadside. i figure better give him one more to be sure, so i hold my 50 yard sight on his back, and nailed him right in the heart. buck jumps 8 feet straight up and lands on his face, got up and made it 30 yards and toppled. the 2 point rushed over to him and stayed there even 10 min later when i got the truck to him. turns out to be a nice 4x5 with brow tines. made passin all the lil guys and the big buck face to face all worth it, and a great way to finish the season. :grin: im tryin to get pics here if not check the gallery.

BlacktailStalker
12-11-2005, 06:39 AM
No No No pics on here please! :)

Thunderstix
12-11-2005, 09:15 AM
I am not sure I could have held out for a Booner, but then I still have to kill my first one so that could be why. Great story Mark! What a way to end the season.

mark
12-11-2005, 09:19 AM
hey thunder thats my second archery buck ever, i have to say its quite a thrill and easier than i thought. just as effective as a rifle, both my kills i watched the buck till he fell, 15 - 30 seconds was all it took!

Thunderstix
12-11-2005, 09:21 AM
I can just imagine the thrill! I was with fireonethree one time when he let an arrow fly at a bear, he misjudged the distance and missed, but man was that exciting.

BCHunter
12-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Mark man your a *******! cleaned up on deer this year....

mark
12-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Mark man your a *******! cleaned up on deer this year....

always dude i dont rest until i do! :smile:

BCHunter
12-11-2005, 10:07 AM
i can tell...good for you man...a great way to end the seaon

mark
12-11-2005, 11:22 AM
i can tell...good for you man...a great way to end the seaon

i sure your season closer will be much better and more exciting :razz:

CanAm500
12-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Man, nice buck on the last day!

mainland hunter
12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
thats just a little guy for you eh. congrats

Ddog
12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
its pretty awesome getting a good buck with a bow eh Mark! you should try it from a treestand when you can see him coming for a minute or two..boy talk about an adrenaline rush!..
way to go on your second bow kill!!
cheers...Ddog

mark
12-11-2005, 03:30 PM
ive tried the tree stand thing, but i cant sit there to long i go nuts! ive never seen anything from tree stands, but i still try em now and then.

cwocarsten
12-12-2005, 01:43 AM
nice muley mark. I am just getting to know the ouskirts of Kelowna for hunting as I just finished my cabin at Hatheume Lake last spring. I have seen lots of deer but I will have to wait until 2006 to get my share. Any tips?....Carsten

well i decided to giver one last try this afternoon as i always do on closing day. my quad is broke so that kept me out of my favorite area, (which i saw 50 deer and 2 lil bucks yesterday.) any how i tried 3 different areas today that i thought might show me somethin but all i saw was snowmobiles and christmas tree people. a few hikes but still no deer in the crunchy snow :-| . so i called it a year and started to drive home, on a rural section of road not far from home and 15 min before dark a lil 2 point runs across the road and up the bank. well he wasnt the booner ive been holdin out for but what the heck 10 min to fill the last tag ya cant be to fussy. so i grab the bow and go after him. after climbin the steep bank i crest the top lookin for my lil 2 point theres a big buck 40 yards broadside in the open. i let one fly, felt good, the buck runs 20 yards, stops and looks at me. probably 55 yards broadside. i figure better give him one more to be sure, so i hold my 50 yard sight on his back, and nailed him right in the heart. buck jumps 8 feet straight up and lands on his face, got up and made it 30 yards and toppled. the 2 point rushed over to him and stayed there even 10 min later when i got the truck to him. turns out to be a nice 4x5 with brow tines. made passin all the lil guys and the big buck face to face all worth it, and a great way to finish the season. :grin: im tryin to get pics here if not check the gallery.

mark
12-12-2005, 09:31 AM
anywhere on the westside of okanagan lake is great for mulies from vernon down to osoyoos. i dont go to far in or up, i stay close to the valley. and the later in the season the better. there are alot more whiteys on the east side, actually the farther east you go the better for them, but i dont really have them figured out yet myself. for moose you have to get a little higher up, 3000 - 5000 ft. my advice is to get to know the bush close to where you live so yer not drivin across the country all the time. then ya can sneek out for lil 1 or 2 hour hunts sometimes. the entire area has lots of game so theres no bad place to go here! good luck!