PDA

View Full Version : Bown island hunt

city hunter
07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Hi Has anyone ever hunted in Bown Island before ? I would like to go there ?but not sure where I should go ?is it 2-16 and a lot of access ?any help would be appreciated or can pm me, thanks!!!

city hunter
07-31-2009, 12:13 AM
any info pls ??

07-31-2009, 04:05 AM
from what I hear it is quite tough to get permission, and most places are bow only. I would try gambier, there are tons of deer there. no monsters, but you will cut your tags there. I've brought back 3 great tasting deer from there.

5/10/85
07-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Bowen island has an island bylaw - traditional bow on private land with permission. There is no hunting allowed on public land. FRUSTRATING, 'cause it's close, and the deer are way overpopulated there. But I read in the Town council meeting minutes (over like 7 years ago) that some idiot hit a lady's car with his arrow in the prov. park (where you used to be able to hunt) - and some of the residents decided to get rid of the hunters. Their silly bylaw has done pretty much exactly that.

stanway
07-31-2009, 07:05 AM
A friend of mine used to bow hunt there years ago but says it's too much of a hassle these days.

city hunter
07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh...thanks you guys,I think I have to pick another place.

silvertipp
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
the residents will try run you out & if im not wrong i dont think your even allowed to camp overnight there

city hunter
07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
the residents will try run you out & if im not wrong i dont think your even allowed to camp overnight there
NO hunter welcome on this Island.....:sad:

Geo.338
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Think about going to Texada .Three deer bag limit and the residents are slightly less anti hunting than on Bowen .You probably wont get permission to hunt private land but you can hunt crown land and there are alot of deer .See regs for special area access .Good luck .

city hunter
07-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Think about going to Texada .Three deer bag limit and the residents are slightly less anti hunting than on Bowen .You probably wont get permission to hunt private land but you can hunt crown land and there are alot of deer .See regs for special area access .Good luck .
Sounds great,How long will it take from vancouver to texada island and what is the easlier way to go there? thanks!!!

Geo.338
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
It will take you all day to get there.
Take two ferries up the sunshine coast to Powell River then take the ferry to Texada .

city hunter
07-31-2009, 05:15 PM
It will take you all day to get there.
Take two ferries up the sunshine coast to Powell River then take the ferry to Texada .
Do you how much will it cost for the ferry approximatlly ?

ROY-alty33
07-31-2009, 05:51 PM
+1 for Texada same regs as Bowen but alot better access. We have camped and rented cabins both and was $400 max per person ferries included. It will take pretty much a full day to travel there because you spend half the day waiting for ferries. Deer galore, no monsters by any strech but if cutting tags is all you want to do, its the place to be. We have never seen less than 25 deer (mostly outside of legal light/areas, we seen 25 on the way back to camp in one night) and thanks to the antlerless season mid Nov. if its brown it goes down.

Panda
08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Yep it is quite the hassle to get permission on Bowen Island.
First off, you can't hunt on public land, only private.

Second, you can only use traditional longbows or recurve bows... NO crossbows or compound bows.

Third, you need to provide the local RCMP detachment with a legal land description/address on a form they require you to fill out. They will then physically inspect the premises to determine if the discharge of bows is safe.

The police need to inspect ANY place (including your residence if you live on the island) that you wish to discharge a bow.

Fourth, a guy got paralyzed from the neck down last year on Bowen... he was riding his bike down a road and apparently hit a deer that jumped out in front of him!

All in all it is a system designed to quash hunting on the island. Smoke all the pot you want on the ferry, sell it on the dock, but heaven forbid if you try to hunt deer.

On a side note from the rant, there is an amazing butcher shop/organic farm on the island called Alderwood Farm. Doug is not only a professional butcher but he is also an avid hunter... he hangs meat for 3 weeks... every deer I've had out of there has been amazing. http://www.alderwoodfarm.com/. He has great rates on the butchering as well.

deerstocker
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
no need to hang meat for 3 weeks --if most people seen what it looks like after 2 weeks u would understand what i mean lol