PDA

View Full Version : Rivers West Camo

leadpillproductions
07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
I Was At Whole Sales Sports In Gp Today . I Was Looking At The Stalker Line, Has Anyone Used It Or Know Much About It ? Looks Like Some Good Stuff.

Crazy_Farmer
07-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I know I've always seen a lot of waterfowlers stuff from them. It can be a bit more pricey then other brands but it does seem like good quality stuff. I think my brother has a pair of bibs from them, and they are a strong material and made well.

dutchie
07-31-2009, 08:46 AM
I think todbartell has some of the stuff!

I have been looking into it but it is not cheep!!

Dutchie

jackson13
07-31-2009, 08:53 AM
I've got some and it is worth every penny. Look at their website, sometimes they have sales to blowout last years stuff and you can get jackets or pants at a huge discount.

todbartell
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
I think todbartell has some of the stuff!

I have been looking into it but it is not cheep!!

Dutchie

I have the Rivers West 'Trail Pant'. Good pant to wear moose hunting in October if you're not hiking a long ways. They're warm but don't breath the best. Really good for keeping the water out though.

Ive not seen the 'Stalker' stuff, but I would expect it to be good if it's made by Rivers West :smile:

leadpillproductions
07-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I just ordered some pants and jacket like 500.00 but it looks like its worth it

compton
07-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a lighter Rivers West jacket not sure what model, anyways its light and comfy but des not breath at all, I don't think I would buy there stuff again because of it.

The Hermit
07-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I wonder about just how quiet it would be?

todbartell
08-01-2009, 12:28 PM
my RW Trail Pant has a very quiet exterior

08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
quiet like the wind and hot like hell! great for calling moose or duck huntin. anything sitting down. when you are walking to the blind or stand i sweat like hell. But you can sit in a puddle the whole time and not get wet.Unless you leave your pockets open,the inside mesh has no material around them to keep water seepage out. I think browning makes ultimatly a better designed product, alittle noisier but dryer and breathes.

leadpillproductions
08-07-2009, 04:06 PM
most the waterproof stuff doesn't breath that well, but the stuff i bought has zippered vents in the jacket and pants so that should help .

08-08-2009, 12:07 AM
sorry most of the water proof stuff doesnt breath well? have you ever owned anything goretex? i dont mean to be sassy but that is what it does. rivers west is not goretex that is where this product goes wrong it does not breath

Duk Dog
08-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I've owned a RW jacket, pants, and gaiters. My experience is it was junk. Thankfully Cabelas has a great return policy and I returned the jacket (zipper blew at the start of a nasty day of hunting mulies in high wind and rain) and the jacket also leaked. Just my experience, but I personally would not buy it again.

Orangethunder
10-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I was looking at the spider jacket and outlaw pants. Anyone try either of those?

2x4x16
10-31-2009, 12:13 AM
I purchased the Rivers West trail pants a few years ago. They are very warm for heavy extended hikes, but are completely water proof. I just bought a jacket this past summer. Both jacket and pants have pre vents - zippers to vent out. I love it - some of the best gear that I have found - other than Sitka. Light weight and very quiet. i would highly recommend.

Sitkaspruce
10-31-2009, 06:33 AM
I was one of the original purchasers of RW gear when it first came out in Canada. It is, for me, the best stuff for hunting. I have a pair of Trail pants from 04, an Ambush Jacket from 05 and both have lasted and I have never had a problem. They are my main go to pants and jacket while giuding, moose hunting, when it is pi$$ down rain here on the island and late season deer hunting. Warm, tough and quite. I am looking at getting some light weight stuff next week as there is a site that has last years stuff, imperfects and two for one deals that save 50+% of original US prices.

Right now it is Pi$$ing down and I am off the chase BT for the day. They will be the pants and jacket I will be wearing.

I swear by the stuff. Browning is too damn noisey and is not very strong.

Cheers

SS

Orangethunder
10-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I was one of the original purchasers of RW gear when it first came out in Canada. It is, for me, the best stuff for hunting. I have a pair of Trail pants from 04, an Ambush Jacket from 05 and both have lasted and I have never had a problem. They are my main go to pants and jacket while giuding, moose hunting, when it is pi$$ down rain here on the island and late season deer hunting. Warm, tough and quite. I am looking at getting some light weight stuff next week as there is a site that has last years stuff, imperfects and two for one deals that save 50+% of original US prices.

Right now it is Pi$$ing down and I am off the chase BT for the day. They will be the pants and jacket I will be wearing.

I swear by the stuff. Browning is too damn noisey and is not very strong.

Cheers

SS

Do you have a link to the site having the sale? Is there still warranty?

Thanks

huntcoop
10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Do you have a link to the site having the sale? Is there still warranty?

Thanks

Here ya go...

http://cascadedirect.net/productcart/pc/home.asp

Orangethunder
10-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Here ya go...

http://cascadedirect.net/productcart/pc/home.asp

Thanks, looks like warranty isn't there but its cheap...

gameslayer
10-31-2009, 11:41 PM
I have some pants I purchased in August,Like Gates said, Great pants if you are not doing a lot of hot weather hiking, they do have breather holes but If you work up a sweat they get clamy. They are tough as hell. I snagged them a couple times, previous pants I owned would have shredded but they are no worse for the wear. Break the wind great when riding the Quad.

Orangethunder
11-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I ordered some last night, I'm hoping it will make it here in time to test it out on my deer hunt next week.

Sangstercraft
11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Anyone like the Dickies camo? Fits well, comfortable, priced less than RW.. But who knows how it performs?!

Orangethunder
11-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I haven't field tested my Riverswest gear yet but it looks and feels great. I will post some feedback on how it performs after christmas...

Orangethunder
11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Tested the Rivers West Outlaw jacket and pants pretty well this year. The last 4 days were as nasty as they come and it performed great. Stayed nice and dry and it was actually pretty quiet. I would recommend it.

Cheers

chinook
11-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Ive had a pair of pants for 3 seasons now and they are kick ass. I hunt the wettest shit imaginable on the coast and my pants have never let me down in fog, drizzle, rain, torential rain and monsoon rain. Also good stuff on a quad with +1 temps and half snow half rain. Penetrates the groinal area a bit if stepping up the speed on the quad though. I have the pants with the magnetic pocket flaps and they are good and quiet but they do stick to the truck and get gritty dirt on your pants if you get too close. No biggie, just a minor irritant. Id say buy 'em!!

kyleklassen
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
just bought a set of pants last week and used them for the first time last weekend. worked o.k. except for the ride to and from the spot in the rain the crotch leaked like a *******. very unimpressed. they are goin' back.disappointing for my first attempt to buy something other than rain gear.

cmfic1
11-16-2010, 11:42 PM
sorry most of the water proof stuff doesnt breath well? have you ever owned anything goretex? i dont mean to be sassy but that is what it does. rivers west is not goretex that is where this product goes wrong it does not breath

Um, sorry to say hes right!
You cant have it both ways, if you want total waterproofing...it needs to be rubber, not Goretex.
If you want it to breath....your gonna get wet, and believe it, Goretex WILL get wet.

Here is a direct quote from one of the better known and longer serving Outfitters on the AK Pen.

"I think I have tried everything in the line of rainwear and the bottom line is that if your hunting in the rain all day you are going to get wet.........Phil Shoemaker

On a hunt where it is raining non-stop for any amount of time, you couldnt give me Goretex. Folks rave about Cabelas MT050 stuff, on my AK Brown Bear hunt a few yrs ago, my guide had a brand new jacket his previous hunter gave him. In a steady sideways rain, he was thoroughly soaked to the bone in under 2hrs IIRC.....he went back to his HH Impertech. I have been in contact with him several times since that hunt, and he said that when the MT050 guys show up, they automatically hand them an Impertech for backup as the MT stuff is epic fail.
Most Coastal Guide/Outfitters I know in AK use Impertech in combination with Swazi, Sitka or Rivers west.....none I know use Goretex in the lowlands for Moose/Bear, and when they do; It seems to be only for pack hunts where weight is a concern.

For my hunt, I used Rivers West (dressed lightly underneath) for when I was on the move. For when we were sitting glassing all day, I used HH Impertech bibs & a Jacket & cant think of a better rainwear tandem for that sorta hunt.

When I am hunting, I will take the proper weighted RW gear for the hunt I am doing at the time, dress appropriately underneath to mitigate sweat and leave the goretex at home

11-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Um, sorry to say hes right!
You cant have it both ways, if you want total waterproofing...it needs to be rubber, not Goretex.
If you want it to breath....your gonna get wet, and believe it, Goretex WILL get wet.

Here is a direct quote from one of the better known and longer serving Outfitters on the AK Pen.

"I think I have tried everything in the line of rainwear and the bottom line is that if your hunting in the rain all day you are going to get wet.........Phil Shoemaker

On a hunt where it is raining non-stop for any amount of time, you couldnt give me Goretex. Folks rave about Cabelas MT050 stuff, on my AK Brown Bear hunt a few yrs ago, my guide had a brand new jacket his previous hunter gave him. In a steady sideways rain, he was thoroughly soaked to the bone in under 2hrs IIRC.....he went back to his HH Impertech. I have been in contact with him several times since that hunt, and he said that when the MT050 guys show up, they automatically hand them an Impertech for backup as the MT stuff is epic fail.
Most Coastal Guide/Outfitters I know in AK use Impertech in combination with Swazi, Sitka or Rivers west.....none I know use Goretex in the lowlands for Moose/Bear, and when they do; It seems to be only for pack hunts where weight is a concern.

For my hunt, I used Rivers West (dressed lightly underneath) for when I was on the move. For when we were sitting glassing all day, I used HH Impertech bibs & a Jacket & cant think of a better rainwear tandem for that sorta hunt.

When I am hunting, I will take the proper weighted RW gear for the hunt I am doing at the time, dress appropriately underneath to mitigate sweat and leave the goretex at home

I live on Vancouver island and spent 12 years in Ucluelet as a sport fishing Guide where it rains 10' a year. The highest recorded rain fall in a 24hr period in North America was at Henderson lake but a few miles from there.

I know wet, as well as your guide. And yes Impertec was what i wore when i was on the water in April. But when hunting Van isle one of the wetest places in Canada and just as wet as AK, There are better things out there the rivers west. Just this past weekend after climbing a mountain in the Cowichan valley i was soaked from sweat. This doesnt happen with good quality Goretex.

Trust me i know wet. 10yrs commercial fishing from Victoria to the Alkan border 12 months a year on trollers and then draggers in December. 10Years of guiding sport fishing on WCVI. Impertec, Armor suit both Heli hanson have a major place in my gear. Rivers west dont.

shantz
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Check out gear with Event it's more waterproof and more breathable then Gore-tex and it's a single layer of fabric. This is what i have for all my mountaineering gear and this stuff is unreal. No camo thought.

11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Check out gear with Event it's more waterproof and more breathable then Gore-tex and it's a single layer of fabric. This is what i have for all my mountaineering gear and this stuff is unreal. No camo thought.

Is "Event" like saying "Goretex"? Or is it the name of the gear?

shantz
11-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Event is Gore-tex competition. Companies like RAB, Westcomb, Montane and Integral Designs us it instead of Gore-tex.

coach
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I have a River's West jacket and pants. As many have said on here, RW makes a great product as far a being quiet and waterproof. The downside is the fact that it doesn't breath and you're going to sweat if you're hiking. When I owned a quad, the pants were awesome for keeping wind and water out. I was fortunate to get a great deal on some Sitka pants, jacket and vest this year, and I haven't used my RW pants since making that purchase. Perhaps they will get some use on my upcoming whitetail hunt, where I plan to do more sitting than hiking. The jacket has been used a couple times this year and will see more use as the snow piles up. All in all, I've been happy with my River's West, but consideration as to layering is pretty important when getting set to head out in the morning.

Fosey
11-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I have the Rivers West Cascade Mountain jacket. It is definitely waterproof as long as you close the Zippers. I hunt blacktails on the West Coast and it is not quite. When you are sneaking through the bush after those little buggers my boots below my old browning Gore-tex fleece pants and my Jacket make noise. The jacket sounds quite when you are in the store but wool and fleece are the only real noiseless materials out there.