PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Rates in the EK??

compton
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I will be hunting in the Elk Valley region this Sept and was thinking about having the meat cut up then bringing it back frozen in a deep freeze in the truck. Usually I have it cut up in Victoria but it's getting harder to find a good meat cutter close to home. By reading the thread started on cooler rates I don't think I could afford to hang it for too long.

Who would you guys recommend and how much do they charge?? Thanks

Ddog
07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
most of them wont charge you for the hanging if you get them to butcher it for you., i say most because i do not know all of them personally. I know this from others that live here.

bigben
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
check out Ricks Fine Meats in cranbrook Cliffs meats in kimberley

Elkaholic
07-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Save yourself some time and NEVER go to Ricks fine meats. He is the biggest scammer around. And in the Elk Valley I know there is a meat shop right on the highway as you go through Fernie, not sure on the rates.

Ron.C
07-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Save yourself some time and NEVER go to Ricks fine meats. He is the biggest scammer around. And in the Elk Valley I know there is a meat shop right on the highway as you go through Fernie, not sure on the rates.

We've used Ricks since 2001, and have only ever had one issue where our elk was not cut boneless like we had asked, but that was a communication error, and partly my fault for not being clear.

Other than that, he's been great. He remembers me by name every year, and meets you at the shop any time of the day or night to hang an animal. His price is not exactly cheap, but I've always had a good product returned in the end. Just curious why you think he's such a scammer?

pistolpete
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Rick makes great sausage & elk pep.
Another shop that's good in in the Slocan Valley - J Kosianic.
Not sure of the business name or number. But if anyone wants it i can get it next week for them
Enjoy it's all good.

rocksteady
07-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Other than that, he's been great. He remembers me by name every year, and meets you at the shop any time of the day or night to hang an animal. His price is not exactly cheap, but I've always had a good product returned in the end. Just curious why you think he's such a scammer?

X2......Been using him since 1991

budismyhorse
07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Kimberley Sausage and Meats (Ernie) is the only one who guarantees that you get YOUR animal back. I know for a fact that Rick makes combined batches for sausage and that does not fly with me personally. To each his own. I understand why he does it, I just don't particularily like it.
Both are great butchers and good guys to boot.

wapitiwhacker
07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Ricks has always been good for us, I think he was .59/lb...and a couple of hats.

boyd050
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Kimberley Sausage and Meats (Ernie) is the only one who guarantees that you get YOUR animal back. I know for a fact that Rick makes combined batches for sausage and that does not fly with me personally. To each his own. I understand why he does it, I just don't particularily like it.
Both are great butchers and good guys to boot.

I swear by Ernie, I've used his services since he bought the shop from cliff many years ago, I won't go to ricks.... period...Kimberley meats, Ernie is truly the best there is, his shop is spotless, he's reasonable and he is absolutely trustworthy...tell him Boyd Sent you!! you won't be sorry!

Kody94
07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
I used Ricks in '06 and '07 but will not go back. They had my deer for 6 weeks (I am serious!!), and when I finally got my meat he would not guarantee I got my own deer back or that it wasn't mixed with others (it was all sausage). I don't go to great lengths to take care of my animals only to have it mixed with someone else's. If I knew it beforehand, I would never have left it there. And they messed up my pepperoni order and made half of the deer into mild instead of the hot I ordered....its fricken bland and most of it is freezer burnt now cuz I didn't like it.

I look forward to trying Ernie in Kimberly.

eastkoot
08-01-2009, 07:08 AM
I used Ricks in '06 and '07 but will not go back. They had my deer for 6 weeks (I am serious!!), and when I finally got my meat he would not guarantee I got my own deer back or that it wasn't mixed with others (it was all sausage). I don't go to great lengths to take care of my animals only to have it mixed with someone else's. If I knew it beforehand, I would never have left it there. And they messed up my pepperoni order and made half of the deer into mild instead of the hot I ordered....its fricken bland and most of it is freezer burnt now cuz I didn't like it.

Ditto on time and mixed with outher peoples meat. And of the three or four types of sausage I did get made, there was only one that I considered edible..And it's certainly wasn't cheap !!!

338 whisper
08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I heard from a few meet cutters last year that it was there last season for cutting out of town meat. I guess the locals could not get there meat cut do to a lack of space and so much game been brought in. So they had to pay to get it hung and some of the locals had been customers for a long time. I heard the gave them a ear full. These same locals supported the cutters when times were though then when things were good they said sorry no room.

Ron.C
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I heard from a few meet cutters last year that it was there last season for cutting out of town meat. I guess the locals could not get there meat cut do to a lack of space and so much game been brought in. So they had to pay to get it hung and some of the locals had been customers for a long time. I heard the gave them a ear full. These same locals supported the cutters when times were though then when things were good they said sorry no room.

Sounds a little stupid to me from a buisness standpoint. What happens when the locals aren't filling the cooler? Does the cutter turn away out of town dollars just incase a local brings something in??

sawmill
08-03-2009, 06:27 AM
I`ve tried them all,Ernie completely screwed my sausages,ended up chucking them,Rick threw my deer onto the cooler floor cause the hooks were full and totally forgot to make my sausage.
Cliffs Meats is the best shop around.

Elkaholic
08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I have to agree that Ernie is the best I have found IMO, Cliff is good too if you like to pay almost double of some other spots. Only thing Rick is good for is you take him a stinky full on rut deer at least you know you wont get it back.

compton
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys for all the info, I think last time I had a moose cut up it was 80 cents a pound in Victoria, so I'm just trying to see if it is less than that up there.

338 whisper
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Ron.c
With only 4 cutters in the local area that i know I don't think that would be a problem. Yes it is very stupied from a bussiness point of view. But last year I took a bull elk in to the butcher and he said he was full to bad then when i was leaving he said were are you from I told him from town and he said your not from out of town. I said no ok then i will take it in for you I asked whats up he told me that he was done taking out of town customers because they do not get ther meet on time and it takes up his space. It souned like crap to me but that was right from ricks mouth.

sawmill
08-06-2009, 05:10 AM
I bought a bandsaw and grinder so I no longer have to deal with any of them.

hunter1947
08-06-2009, 06:54 AM
I know a butcher that does it for 65 a pound I have knowen him now for over 30 years ,he has all for butchering set up perfect.

He does smokies ,peps ,sausages ,all different types of salami.
I can't give his name out because he asked not to ,reason being is that he will get to much work and he does not want to go there

Thank god I know of this person when hunting make life more relaxing knowing you have an excellent butcher to take your meat to when you get home from your hunt ,your meat will be cut to the way you want it.

lunatic
08-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Ron.c
With only 4 cutters in the local area that i know I don't think that would be a problem. Yes it is very stupied from a bussiness point of view. But last year I took a bull elk in to the butcher and he said he was full to bad then when i was leaving he said were are you from I told him from town and he said your not from out of town. I said no ok then i will take it in for you I asked whats up he told me that he was done taking out of town customers because they do not get ther meet on time and it takes up his space. It souned like crap to me but that was right from ricks mouth.

This isn't at all uncommon from what i've seen. There is a cutter in Dawson Creek that does the same. He always saves some room for locals. All the years in business he has a pretty good idea how many locals will be bringing in game. He has a point though. Locals support him year round not just for the first 2 weeks of GOS moose when all the "tourists" show up :mrgreen:.

kootenay redneck
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
there's a butcher shop in creston called fritzes just pass the gm dealership i do not know the rates or anyhting in regards to his reputation if that helps you any... he's in the yellow pages.

Ron.C
08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Ron.c
With only 4 cutters in the local area that i know I don't think that would be a problem. Yes it is very stupied from a bussiness point of view. But last year I took a bull elk in to the butcher and he said he was full to bad then when I was leaving he said were are you from I told him from town and he said your not from out of town. I said no ok then I will take it in for you I asked whats up he told me that he was done taking out of town customers because they do not get ther meet on time and it takes up his space. It souned like crap to me but that was right from ricks mouth.

Well, you've got me interested now.

So I just got off the phone with Rick's as he is the Buthcher I use. I introduced myself and said that I was from Vancouver Island. I then said I heard that they would no longer be cutting meat for guys from out of area as I heard he has been way too busy in previous years and wanted to ensure he had room for his local customers. I then said I heard this on HBC website and asked if there was any truth to it. The answer I got was this.

There is abslotely no truth to this. Rick's will continue to cut for locals and out of town hunters alike. I asked if I could quote that and reply here online and the answer was a resounding yes.

338 whisper
08-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I am just telling you what he told me last sept.

MOWITCH SLAYER
08-07-2009, 08:04 AM

So I just got off the phone with Rick's as he is the Buthcher I use. I introduced myself and said that I was from Vancouver Island. I then said I heard that they would no longer be cutting meat for guys from out of area as I heard he has been way too busy in previous years and wanted to ensure he had room for his local customers. I then said I heard this on HBC website and asked if there was any truth to it. The answer I got was this.

There is abslotely no truth to this. Rick's will continue to cut for locals and out of town hunters alike. I asked if I could quote that and reply here online and the answer was a resounding yes.
Thank's for checking that out! I'm a out of towner who has been hunting that area for 30 years. Had me worried for a minute

J_T
08-07-2009, 08:21 AM

There is abslotely no truth to this. Rick's will continue to cut for locals and out of town hunters alike. I asked if I could quote that and reply here online and the answer was a resounding yes.Of course he'll take care of you, that's his business. We use Rick's exclusively and he's always there for us and very accomodating. (Maybe he just sees us as "frequent customers" LOL and he'd better take care of us)If you take an animal in the last couple of days, he'll have it cut wrapped and frozen for you if that's your wish. He only has a limited space for cut, wrapped and boxed meat. Once it's done, he wants it out.

budismyhorse
08-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Have you seen how stressed out these butchers get??? Especially with all the finicky hunters they have to deal with.......by mid season they are ready for the funny-farm.
Give 'em a break.