PDA

View Full Version : Deodorant for hunters

Gateholio
07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
The Girl bought some stuff form the voodoo store (natural herbal vitamin etc place)

It's called Lavilin underarm deodorant cream (Hypo Allergenic)

It's supposed to keep your pits stink free for 5 or so days, so I tried it out, and it works. Like many of us, i've been sweating away in this heat, and I've had it on for 4 days and NO STINK!

It's supposed to be all natural, won't give you Alzheimer's or whatever. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but I figure for someone on a hunting trip it couldn't hurt to use a few times a year.

Usually after a hard days work in a hot kitchen, I come home smelling pretty ripe, but even after 4 days I'm fine....

It might be too late for some early season sheep hunters to pick some up, but if you and your partner use some, I am sure you will be able to keep the peace more effectively. :mrgreen:

moosinaround
07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm confused here Gatehouse?? 4 days, is this kitchen rustic and far away from city services? Is there a water shortage? Why would you go 4 days without a shower, in town? Was it a scientific experiment to see if the Organic pit stick worked?;-) Moosin

killman
07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Would it work on you nut sack? :oops:

Kody94
07-30-2009, 09:32 PM
The Girl bought some stuff form the voodoo store (natural herbal vitamin etc place)

It's called Lavilin underarm deodorant cream (Hypo Allergenic)

It's supposed to keep your pits stink free for 5 or so days, so I tried it out, and it works. Like many of us, i've been sweating away in this heat, and I've had it on for 4 days and NO STINK!

It's supposed to be all natural, won't give you Alzheimer's or whatever. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but I figure for someone on a hunting trip it couldn't hurt to use a few times a year.

Usually after a hard days work in a hot kitchen, I come home smelling pretty ripe, but even after 4 days I'm fine....

It might be too late for some early season sheep hunters to pick some up, but if you and your partner use some, I am sure you will be able to keep the peace more effectively. :mrgreen:

Awesome. I have been looking for the perfect gift for my sheep hunting partners. :D :lol:

PS: was the Girl giving you a polite hint?? ;)

amerikazmoswanted23
07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
so do you use it once or everyday ?

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm confused here Gatehouse?? 4 days, is this kitchen rustic and far away from city services? Is there a water shortage? Why would you go 4 days without a shower, in town? Was it a scientific experiment to see if the Organic pit stick worked?;-) Moosin

I shower daily, and swim in my pool at least twice a day. Point is- It doesn't "wash" off....

so do you use it once or everyday ?

Once... and then clean off and re apply.

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Would it work on you nut sack? :oops:

Try it and get back to us.

Bpower
07-31-2009, 07:40 AM
Does the stuff have a fragrance or smell to it?...do you end up smelling like a sage soaked hippie or anything?

Devilbear
07-31-2009, 08:01 AM
I first bought that stuff from "Screaming Eagle", a treestand and hunting gear maker formerly in Montana, back about 20 years ago. I also found it in various "health" stores and used it quite extensively, but, gave up on it.

It "works" but, not as well as they try to convince you it does and it is much like the old "Mum" "antistink" from the '40s and '50s....actually, I think it IS exactly the same, just another bullschit attempt to get you to buy something highly over-priced.

I have found that a tiny Nalgene tube of unscented Mitchum's gel works better than anything and I simply buy a spare container, cut the top off and re-package the "antistink" in these little tubes, much like spices, etc., for backpacking.

I use the "Hunter's Specialties" green opalescent liquid soap, soaked into a tiny sponge to lather with, scrub with a washcloth wetted with plain water and apply Mitchum's and have no problems....unless one wears synthetic tops, which I no longer will, only merino or silk.

Anyway, I still have a couple of tiny containers of "Lavalin", but, never use it now. Try it, you might well like it....and, I don't think that it "grows" a pink tutu on a guy...................................

kyleklassen
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Once... and then clean off and re apply.[/quote]
do you have to scrub it off with gas and a wire brush if it doesn't "wash" off?

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Does the stuff have a fragrance or smell to it?...do you end up smelling like a sage soaked hippie or anything?

No smell...

Devilbear
07-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Damm near, it is a sticky, greasy goop and if on your hide for a few days, it is hard to totally remove, IME.

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 08:17 AM
do you have to scrub it off with gas and a wire brush if it doesn't "wash" off?[/QUOTE]

No, I mean after you start to stink, wash off and remove the stink, then re apply. it's now day 5 of smelling fresh!:smile:

Gilmore
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
it's now day 5 of smelling fresh!:smile:

Yeah I'll be the judge of that!!!

Kody94
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
it's now day 5 of smelling fresh!:smile:

Not sure if I'm the only one, but my "gaydar" just sounded an alarm, and I am a little creeped out right now. :eek:

;) :mrgreen:

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM

It won't work for you. Nothing can remove th estink of a potato farmer:-P

stanway
07-31-2009, 02:24 PM
This is the stuff I use come hunting season:

http://www.ahultramax.com/

Unscented & inexpensive. Works for me.:smile:

killman
07-31-2009, 03:32 PM

OK but we are going to need a offical sniffer! :p

Gilmore
07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
It won't work for you. Nothing can remove th estink of a potato farmer:-P

Don't you mean a stinking potato farmer with a 3/4 curl LEH tag!!!!

Gilmore
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Not sure if I'm the only one, but my "gaydar" just sounded an alarm, and I am a little creeped out right now. :eek:

Hey you wanna go hunting good looking?

sawmill
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Lately I have noticed a certain,disurbing trend developing on this site.:eek:

And before any one asks........No I won`t go in your parade.

gamehunter6o
07-31-2009, 07:14 PM
If you're so concerned about long term hygene, Gatehouse, ring NASA for a pair of J-Wear underwear that an astronaut wore for a month on the space station.:eek: If you're lucky, they'll come in pink.:cool:

rocksteady
07-31-2009, 07:25 PM

:mrgreen:

Did many customers return their meals?????:frown::frown:

My wife bought this "Henri Barnard" pure mineral salts deodorant once for me..., all natural, yada yada......Used for about a month and then tossed it, did not work worth a damn....Had a shower , put it on, twenty minutes later smelled so bad, I had to go have another shower...

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Did many customers return their meals?????:frown::frown:

Not many, as I generally don't rub the food into my pits:-P

rocksteady
07-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Not many, as I generally don't rub the food into my pits:-P

But sometimes you do when camping with Bartell???? Please say Yes...

Fisher-Dude
07-31-2009, 10:56 PM

Beep, Beeep, Beeeeeeep!

http://docinthemachine.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/sniff_pit.jpg

Gateholio
07-31-2009, 11:11 PM
But sometimes you do when camping with Bartell???? Please say Yes...

that's just kinda weird...:eek:

duckhunt
07-31-2009, 11:28 PM
I shower daily, and swim in my pool at least twice a day. Point is- It doesn't "wash" off....

Don't lie! :smile:

Brambles
07-31-2009, 11:58 PM
So let me get this straight. You are still showering but not reapplying or your showering AND reapplying every day.

Don't shower for 3 or 4 days and only apply once at the beginning and then let us know how the pits smell.

Legi0n
07-31-2009, 11:58 PM
guys, I laughed so hard I could've spilled my beer. But I didn't. Beer is precious :)

Gateholio
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
guys, I laughed so hard I could've spilled my beer. But I didn't. Beer is precious :)

If there is a god,he invented beer. :p

Gateholio
08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
So let me get this straight. You are still showering but not reapplying or your showering AND reapplying every day.

Don't shower for 3 or 4 days and only apply once at the beginning and then let us know how the pits smell.

Ok, I applied the cream...Once. On day ONE.

And I am showering every day. I am also SWEATING like a pig every day. It's frickin HOT! No smell.

If I was out on a hunt, and not bathing, I assume I woudl still smell less foul than if I did not have this stuff...it's the end of day 5 or 6, and my pits smell pretty neutral.:p

Legi0n
08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Ok, we've had our fun. Now let's give the guy some credit. It is working for him.

Gateholio
08-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I just went for a midnight swim in the pool. If it was regular deodorant it should have been washed off, since I was in our pool for 20 minutes...

Still no stinkyness in my pits...;)

Brambles
08-01-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm gonna try it when I can find me some. Anything to keep the odour down when on backpack trips.

bowhunterbruce
08-01-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm gonna try it when I can find me some. Anything to keep the odour down when on backpack trips.

you not alone im gonna check it out today

Kody94
08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I bought some yesterday....what the hay. Hopefully Gates bought stock in Lavalin before he started this thread. :)

It comes in a teeny little package for the price, but I guess it should last a while. Plus, the package is small enough to throw in your pack for a long trip.

Brambles
08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I bought some yesterday....what the hay. Hopefully Gates bought stock in Lavalin before he started this thread. :)

It comes in a teeny little package for the price, but I guess it should last a while. Plus, the package is small enough to throw in your pack for a long trip.

Where you get it, spill the beans?

rocksteady
08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
that's just kinda weird...:eek:

I meant give it a quick swipe swipe when Bartells not looking.....Tell him after he has eaten his steak what you did...make sure you have all his firearms locked up though...:shock::-P

Kody94
08-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Where you get it, spill the beans?

Nutters in Cranbrook.

Went in to buy some protein shake mix, Clif Bars and energy gels for my trip and right across from the till while waiting to checkout, voila, there was the Lavalin. Couldn't resist. Classic case of having something planted in your mind by on-line advertising, then set up for an impulse buy while waiting in line. :)

Gateholio
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Nutters in Cranbrook.

Went in to buy some protein shake mix, Clif Bars and energy gels for my trip and right across from the till while waiting to checkout, voila, there was the Lavalin. Couldn't resist. Classic case of having something planted in your mind by on-line advertising, then set up for an impulse buy while waiting in line. :)

Clearly, i should be in marketing.:smile:

It's day 6 and still no stinky pits, so I like this stuff. I really can't say how well it would do without bathing daily, so I am not taking responsibility for it ruining a sheep hunt.:razz:

However, I like to do a bit of a wipedown before hitting the sleeping bag, and I suspect many hunters do the same, so hopefully it should work out well.:razz:

todbartell
08-01-2009, 12:29 PM
how much? local health food place has some, $23 for a tiny jar of it.

Kody94
08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
how much? local health food place has some, $23 for a tiny jar of it.

It was $21.99 for the same tiny little jar. Opening the box reminds me of one of those russian dolls...the box is little, and the jar inside is littler, then you open it up and see its just a tiny little tray of stuff inside of that.

Assuming you don't put it on thick, and it lasts a week as advertised, its probably comparable to pit stick...the stuff is like gold by the ounce though!

Gateholio
08-01-2009, 01:16 PM
You don't use much. :smile:

I have started a toiletry revolution...:shock:

Kody94
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I have started a toiletry revolution...:shock:

:D

Greathouse....women want to be with him and men want to be like him (or some combination thereof based on some posts above! ;) ).

hoho
08-01-2009, 02:05 PM

As long as we don't smell like any f/m Deers ,we'll be safe!!!

Gateholio
08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I think this is day 7...We are short staffed at work so i had to come in for the morning and work in the kitchen. Just got changed to head home and I detected a slight notification that I will need to re apply. Not bad for a couple of thin smears of cream!:o:-D

Please note I did not attempt to wear any synthetic clothing. That shoudl be a true test:)

Spuddge
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
OK, I had to give it a try. My wife picked some up on Friday and we both put it on Saturday morning, it actually works, "NO SMELL" after three days, and that's after daily showers a swim and some pretty hot sweaty days. I thought for sure after sweating like a pig today working on the trailer it would fail.......but nope still no stinky pits!!! I wonder if you could coat your whole body in it for those 2 week hunting trips?

Fisher-Dude
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Clearly, i should be in marketing.:smile:

It's day 6 and still no stinky pits, so I like this stuff. I really can't say how well it would do without bathing daily, so I am not taking responsibility for it ruining a sheep hunt.:razz:

However, I like to do a bit of a wipedown before hitting the sleeping bag, and I suspect many hunters do the same, so hopefully it should work out well.:razz:

Smarten up buddy, you're gonna spontaneously combust and start another forest fire!

Elkhound
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
:shock: Minutes of my life I will never get back:shock:

Kody94
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
You opened a thread about deodorant for hunters...you have no-one but yourself to blame. :)

Gateholio
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Feel lucky that HBC doesn't have a thread on male grooming like Westicles....:razz:

Kody94
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
ps: I've got a good three days going on my Lavilin trial and so far so good. ;)

goatdancer
08-04-2009, 11:36 AM
OK, I had to give it a try. My wife picked some up on Friday and we both put it on Saturday morning, it actually works, "NO SMELL" after three days, and that's after daily showers a swim and some pretty hot sweaty days. I thought for sure after sweating like a pig today working on the trailer it would fail.......but nope still no stinky pits!!! I wonder if you could coat your whole body in it for those 2 week hunting trips?

The instructions say not to use any deodorant for 48 hours prior to using Lavalin. I too bought some to see if it really works. At the price they charge it sure had better perform.

Laurence_Erickson
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I too was succered and bought some .It didn't work for me butmaybe I just stink .lmao

Gateholio
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Did this work well? It works great for me, but my GF says it doesn't do much for her...She said she still stinks. :tongue:

I thought that was hilarious, because she NEVER smells bad, regardless of deodarant or not. Even when we have been away from a shower for a few days, she never really smells bad, whereas male hunters away from the shower for a few days reek!:smile:

Kody94
09-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Works fantastic for me.

Gates...maybe it isn't "working" for her because she appreciates your man pheremones? ;) :p

Gateholio
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Works fantastic for me.

Gates...maybe it isn't "working" for her because she appreciates your man pheremones? ;) :p

:tongue:

So, you taking the Ruger to Africa? Or taking one of your ridiculously huge large bores?:smile:

KodiakHntr
09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
whereas male hunters away from the shower for a few days reek!:smile:

Ahhhh yes....The infamous "Swamp Crack" or my favorite "Bad Case of Goat Nuts"......

09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
my deoderant is a mix of blood swet and tears