PDA

View Full Version : north thompson

grumpy
07-30-2009, 04:08 PM
got a leh for a mtn.goat in 3-44a area north of the north thompson river
wondering how the goat, deer and moose faired in that area this winter?

dana
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Right now she's going up in flames. It's pretty dang busy with all the firefighters and helicopters.

As for goats in that area, good luck. There are a few in there, but there is a reason it's a low odds hunt. I'd check out Adolf and Albreda if I were you. Adolf FSR might be cleaned up by then. I was up there in the spring bear hunting and there was some serious damage to the road due to an avalanche.

As for deer and moose, the wolves have been hitting them hard, especially this past winter. But name a drainage that this ain't happening in.

Brambles
07-30-2009, 05:12 PM
got a leh for a mtn.goat in 3-44a area north of the north thompson river
wondering how the goat, deer and moose faired in that area this winter?

Just look for a guy hiking around in black long underwear toting a 10 lb parker hale. The goats should be close by.:mrgreen:

blackbart
07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Further to Brambles post regarding where to go.

I would suggest looking for a spot where the trees are all leaning one way. Where the man packing the PH has recently passed the force of gravity is somewhat like that of a black hole in that it pulls all things towards it. This is known locally as the "ego" effect.

Good luck in '09, any goat is a good goat.

dana
07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Any goat is a good goat until someone posts a picture of their first goat, a nanny, and the lynch mob comes out of the woodwork on HBC. If you do happen to kill a nanny, good for you, it'll be a hard earned goat in that country. Just don't post pics of it here. If they can't let a 12 year old enjoy his first goat success, they certainly won't let an adult.

Laurence_Erickson
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I have had that draw three different times and only one goat to speak of .Like dana said there are a few and they are hard to come by.Be careful of the boundry in adolph the one side is very close to the next region . my limitede expirience tells me the snow comes there fairly early in the year most of the time . Good luck grumpy .

Brambles
07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Any goat is a good goat until someone posts a picture of their first goat, a nanny, and the lynch mob comes out of the woodwork on HBC. If you do happen to kill a nanny, good for you, it'll be a hard earned goat in that country. Just don't post pics of it here. If they can't let a 12 year old enjoy his first goat success, they certainly won't let an adult.

No one mentioned any nanny's or 12 year olds. Time to swap out your tinfoil hat, your loosing reception.:biggrin:

I think someone did mention a little billy though, but I"m not sure who it was:tongue:

BlacktailStalker
07-30-2009, 11:12 PM
No different than all the other guys who shoot "dink" mulies, god forbid they be happy with them :roll:

Good luck on your hunt Gary.

dana
07-31-2009, 05:11 PM
No one mentioned any nanny's or 12 year olds. Time to swap out your tinfoil hat, your loosing reception.:biggrin:

I think someone did mention a little billy though, but I"m not sure who it was:tongue:

Brambles,
Who needs to refresh the tinfoil? I wasn't dirrecting my comment to you. I thought it was quite clear that I was responding to the comment that 'any goat is a good goat'. I think in 3-44 the saying is indeed correct. Just don't post the pics here or else you'll have a lynch mob from the wannabes.

Blacktail Stalker,
When have I ever called anyone's buck a 'dink'??? I actually have been one that gives a lot of pats on the back to fellow hunters on this site regardless of the size of their deer. Funny how you forget the 'rat' comment was dirrected at someone who was already taking a run at me in this game they call cyberspace. I had previously gave the guy congrats but he continued in his game so I raised the stakes. If I am an A$$hole because of that, oh well, so be it. :twisted:

grumpy
07-31-2009, 05:50 PM
thanks for the info guys

Brambles
07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Brambles,
Who needs to refresh the tinfoil? I wasn't dirrecting my comment to you. I thought it was quite clear that I was responding to the comment that 'any goat is a good goat'. I think in 3-44 the saying is indeed correct. Just don't post the pics here or else you'll have a lynch mob from the wannabes.

I swapped out my tinfoil for fresh stuff, that should be better now:razz: Dang tinfoil isn't what it use to be. Use to go much longer before a refil:redface:

BlacktailStalker
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
It was just a ribbing.
I dont remember anything about rats ?? (except one time as a kid I watched 2 rats push a chicken egg through a hole in the coop, then I shot them with my pellet gun :lol:)

slyfox
07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Nanny or billy for your first goat nothing wrong with that.

Blainer
08-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Do we not remember the fiasco with the sheep last year?
The fella had it legally inspected and plugged and after posting pictures on here,the accusations and threats mounted with an eventual confiscation of the ram after the ministry was contacted.:sad:

dana
08-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Blacktail Stalker,
You don't remember the 'rat' threads? They were classic. :razz:

Blainer,
IMO that Sheep thread was disgusting. Just think, if that hunter hadn't of posted his pics here on HBC, he would have his sheep legally hanging on his wall. While hunting sites like this are good for newbies to gain info and the such, they certainly have their dark sides too.

Grumpy,
I hope you don't think my info is just me being a prick. A lot of guys think I try to protect my spots so they think any info I post up is BS. You can take it to the bank that the info regarding your unit is solid. Goat hunting in northern Region 3 is a tough game. Hunter success is very very low. Heck, in all the 10 subunits combined, there is an average of 2-3 goats killed per year. I work and play in these units on a daily basis year round. This year is my 8th draw in 16 years. Thus far, I've only killed one small billy. My son killed his goat last year his first time out. Not because he was lucky, but because he had the advantage of 15 years of homework done by his ol' man.

Here's my assesment, if you drew a moose tag, come on up and go moose hunting and glass for goats, picking apart avalanche chutes and the alpine you can see from the valley bottom. If you didn't draw moose, it probably isn't worth your trip up to just to hunt hard for a goat in a very tough area with Immy Moose as being your only other elusive creature you can take. While there are some deer in the Upper North Thompson, they are indeed as rare as the goats. I'm not BSin here. I can count on one hand how many muley bucks I've seen over the years of working in there. I have actually seen more whitetails in there than muleys, but if I combined muley bucks and whitetail buck sightings, it still would not fill one hand. Those are year round sightings, not just hunting season sightings. The access to the highcountry is tough as there hasn't been a lot of recent logging on the higher slopes. Alder grows fast and many of the roads you see on google earth aren't much more than brush pits now. There are some sled trails in the front end that will get ya to alpine and if you are keen for a good hike, these are what I'd focus on.