PDA

View Full Version : Cooler $$$ Rates $$$$

Ruger4
07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
what's the going rate to hang 'yer meat these days ?

elkdom
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
$25 to $40 per day per animal ( elk/moose 4 quarters) and its first come basis, some coolers are not great, but when there's no other choice, you pays the money$$$$, and no matter where you find to hang you game, make up your own ID tags, and fasten them with good quality zip-locks,,,

ElkMasterC
07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
We take out own, so no worries. Rick's meats in Cranbrook charges 25 per animal day, I think.
Most years we have 3-6 animals, so 75-150 per day.
And they're usually full anyway.
That's a lotttta money, so we just built one out of Humble Hunter's skidoo trailer

sawmill
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Most places here won`t hang em unless they butcher them too.

wildman 22
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
i have a buddy who built a couple of trailers with air conditioned meat compartments .he rents them out if anyone is interested? he raffled it off for a week once and the fellow rented it the following year. the butcher said the meat was perfect.

Brett
07-29-2009, 05:40 PM
We take out own, so no worries. Rick's meats in Cranbrook charges 25 per animal day, I think.
Most years we have 3-6 animals, so 75-150 per day.
And they're usually full anyway.
That's a lotttta money, so we just built one out of Humble Hunter's skidoo trailer
did you guys use an airconditioner or a reefer unit?

Kody94
07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Rick's meats in Cranbrook charges 25 per animal day, I think.

I heard Rick's went up to $40/day last year, after European Meats shut down. I think its free if he does the butchering though....he never charged me for hangin in 2007 anyway.

forestryboy
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Anyone heard what the butcher in Invermere is like?

ElkMasterC
07-30-2009, 12:12 AM
did you guys use an airconditioner or a reefer unit?

Brett:

We tried an air con unit, and a big one works IF it's cool out. But we hunt the east Koots in Sept, so you get some pretty warm days.Like now, for instance. It's not uncommon to bowhunt in ugly shorts ;-)
We ended up guying a commercial reefer unit off a walk-in cooler from a defunct meat shop.
Installed etc, it cost us two grand. Split four ways.
First year it didn't work that well because a) It was frickin hot,
and B) we hadn't insulated it that well, so the cooling fins on the heat exchange unit iced up totally.
After many hours of work, we have it all insulated, and tiggedy-boo.
I believe we have enough juice to actually freeze the meat if we had to.
Nice to keep the damn flies out as well...lol.
We generally hang the meat from the rafters to cool, and then when it's time to leave camp, and four grown men have had their big cry, we load the two quads, tents, all the gear, and stack the cold meat on clean tarps on top.
Then hammer down to Squamish, where we have a walk-in cooler.
7-10 days later zip, chop, grind. Four freezers full of organic heaven!
If we're not actually using it, we might rent it out as well for a nominal fee, and you can haul your toys, and not pay cooler fees.
Anyone that's interested contact Humble Hunter.

I'll add pics when I can dig them up.

ElkMasterC
07-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I heard Rick's went up to $40/day last year, after European Meats shut down. I think its free if he does the butchering though....he never charged me for hangin in 2007 anyway.

Wow. In '07 we had four whities, a mulie and two elk.
That adds up. By the end of the trip that would be $280 a day.
The two large we spent on a cooler seems reasonable now.

sawmill
07-30-2009, 04:38 AM
There was a guy in Quesnel who had 2 C.N.reefer rail cars,he charged 10$ a day to hang my moose.I don`t know if he is still in buisiness but you could check if you are hunting there.

hunter1947
07-30-2009, 05:12 AM
What we do is if we get an elk or deer early and still have 4 or five days left on our hunt.
We get the butcher to butcher up the meat and freeze it ,then pick it up the day we leave for home with it in coolers ,meat stays frozen then put in the freezer when we get home.

Then if we get another animal in the last few days of the hunt we will take that animal down with us to get butchered where we live.

ibehuntin
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Anyone heard what the butcher in Invermere is like?

Konig meats in Invermere is pretty good. I used to deal there quite a bit before my buddy started cutting in Golden. Nice clean shop and he used to always come in after hours for me.

LYKTOHUNT
07-30-2009, 09:57 AM
There was a guy in Quesnel who had 2 C.N.reefer rail cars,he charged 10$ a day to hang my moose.I don`t know if he is still in buisiness but you could check if you are hunting there.
I live in Quesnel and I cant think of who that would be. If anyone knows please let me know.

forestryboy
07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Konig meats in Invermere is pretty good. I used to deal there quite a bit before my buddy started cutting in Golden. Nice clean shop and he used to always come in after hours for me.

Thanks... Does your buddy in Golden butcher as a business?

Evolution
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I planning on heading up to the 4-20ish EK for the Sept 01 Bow opening, Im coming from the Island and only planning on staying for 7-10 days, If I bag a whitey or Muley in my first few days where should I take it to hang? If I cant get any til the latter part of my trip what would you expect the temp's to be at, and do you think I could avoid spoilage by packing up and heading straight back home to my own cooler for hanging? I have an enclosed trailer so I guess I could ice down the carcass easy enough. Im just not familiar with what to expect for temps in early Sept.