PDA

View Full Version : monashee moose?

sarnold
07-28-2009, 08:41 PM
anyone on here know anything about a speceis of moose that lives in the monashees? (not found in may places of the province)
I asked why there was no leh bull moose draw and thats what I was told? (bs?)

bowhunterbruce
07-28-2009, 08:50 PM
there are only 3 different speices of mosse listed in the boone and crockett book and they are the shiras,the canadian and the alaska/yukon.who ever told ya about the infamous monashee moose pulled your leg pretty damn far

elkdom
07-28-2009, 08:51 PM
that area holds "Shiras Moose" the common moose species across the north western US and Western Canada(BC), the smaller cousin of the Canada moose ,and the Yukon moose, not so rare at all, quite prolific in western US and Canada,

sarnold
07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
lol
I had that feeling when I was told that..
if that is not the case then why isn't there a leh for bull moose in the monashee?
I would have a hard time beleiving it's because there is not enough, I saw more bull moose last year than bucks....(and not the same one over and over:D)

Tuffcity
07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
There's about 20 or 30 moose draws in the "Monashees". They're all bull draws.

RC

Ltbullken
07-28-2009, 10:25 PM
There's moose in there!! Found some sheds a couple years back. Very nice and I will look for some pictures.

sarnold
07-29-2009, 07:44 PM
well I guess I will be looking harder at the leh synopsis next year...:roll:

dana
07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
When you consider the monashees go from the Can/US border all the way up through Region 8 and Region 3 up to Region 7a, I would say yup, there are open moose in the monashees. While some in the SCI like to call them moose Shiras, they are just kidding themselves. They are Canada/Shiras mix and that goes all the way up to PG. The outfitters just figure it is a good way to sell small moose to the Yanks if they call them Shiras.

07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think there is any hard scientific or biological evidence that the moose in southern BC are actually Shiras Moose. No one with scientific credibility recognizes any moose in Canada as Shiras except the Safari Club and record book species boundaries are seldom based on scientific evidence. Where one species stops and another starts is never a clear cut line but rather a large transiitional band or zone.

The BC MOE has a map that show moose south of the Trans-Canada Highway in Region 4 as Shiras. Safari Cub's map shows all moose south of the Trans Canada Highway on the north, #2 highway in Alberta on the east, and the Fraser Valley on the west as the Shiras Moose sub-species. That would thus include all moose in Region 8 and in Region 3 south of the TCH.

To me it's all bogus, a myth perpetuated soley for the reasons Dana points out. For example the biggest moose in the East Kootenay's are shot in the Flathead, Elk, and Bull Valleys, far south of the "so-called" Shiras/Canada moose boundary. I'd like to see this scientifically challenged, because if it was, I'll bet it would forever eliminate all talk of the Shiras sub-species existing anywhere in BC.