PDA

View Full Version : Setting up

Jehiah
07-28-2009, 02:31 AM
I strongly believe that patience as a bow hunter is first learned in setting up and tuning one's bow and distantly second found in the hunting stand.

I will be completely revamping my bow for the fourth time now since May this year.
First it was buying a new sight (cobra) and a new peep and some arrow shafts a day before heading to the weekly shoot with my companions. I had my rig tuned in the shop just fine but chose not to cut my arrows as they would not be ready that day.
Obviously the second time had to take the freshly cut arrows into consideration in addition to my decision to change from 125 to 100 grain heads.
The third time was a blessing in disguise as my cobra sight spontaneously disassembled in the field (anyone else have this problem?); the sight adjustment arms were held in place by allan screws that continued to loosen with the vibration of shooting thereby moving my sight on every shot! A new sight and another calibration in the shop and I was ready to go (or so I thought).
I am now about to readust my arrow rest, find my sweet spot (eyes closed with anchor and opening with peep/sight lined up), and knocking point.

I really hope that these steps become more streamlined as experience is gained.
And to think my new found life obsession was originally a method of "expanding my hunting opportunities in the south island" :grin:.

Thanx for reading.

Bow Walker
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I totally agree with the idea of patience when setting up equipment. It pays dividends down the road and instills confidence in yourself and your equipment. It's a vital part of the "getting-to-know-your-stuff" foreplay.

I'm the same way - in that I am constantly checking and tightening and tinkering. Plus practising. Shooting 20 - 60 arrows in the backyard is the best way to fine tune your shooting form and to relieve the stresses from the "day at the office".