PDA

View Full Version : Are you open to new hunting partners?

longhairmtnman
07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I've been wondering why some members are so unapproachable about hunting. I'm no hunting expert, but promote the experience to my best ability, and I have been a catalyst for at least 6 new hunters in the past 20 months. How come so few are embracing the new hunters as they step into our midst? Aquiring knowledge takes many years and lots of questions, ultimately making the hunting community stronger. Why not help out others?

Paulyman
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I think guys like you are the majority, it's just a few that give new hunters a hard time for not doing their homework before putting in for leh's that make it seem worse than it actually is.

Mr. Friendly
07-27-2009, 06:58 PM
as a new hunter...as a guy who hasn't had 1 season under his belt yet, I know how much I would appreciate an experienced person to apprentice me. that said, I've noticed all to well the distain for those who post asking for help on the forums, which saddens me. :(

rocksteady
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I am open to new hunters (Heck, I even went out with Poguebilt:eek::eek:) J/K Jason...

I have found a lot of guys don't hunt the way I do...I am willing to walk for a huge distance covering ground, whereas some guys just want to sit at one spot all day....

Thats fine by me, but it just isn't my style....

It all boils down to compatibility......

Maybe we should make a site like "EHarmony" where you do a quiz of 20 deep thinking questions to decide who you should go hunting with......:biggrin::biggrin:

srupp
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
There ARE some very knowlegable folks here..that REALLY know their stuff...and most here ARE willing to help out others..but one must also help ones own self out...

I have a regular hunting partner but have also taken out a "rookie" each and every year..this year its going to be 2 rookies..one this spring for grizz and one this fall...we all had to start somewhere..

Not all have worked out quite so well some spectacular failures make one hesitant to do it again..

Not everyone is as vocal as myself but most here ARE helpers and enablers in their own way..

cheers

Steven

krr
07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
This is my first year hunting this year and have been very lucky to have an experienced hunter "apprentice" me. Already we have met and planned a couple of hunts for this fall. Hopefully in a number of years I will be in a situation where I can do the same for someone else as well.

Thanks Srupp!

Kyle

The Hermit
07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
The HBC Hazing Forum! LOL

I think most guys are pretty helpful when it comes down to it. I enjoy heading out with new hunters and haven't had any bad experiences yet. In fact, I really enjoyed the week long moose hunt last year with a guy that at first seemed so different than me... the big thing that made it all work was that we were both focused on the same goals and were open to compromise and wanted to make it work. It was a blast helping him field dress, skin, and quarter up his first big game animal and I was privileged to get to see his genuine excitement. That was the icing on the cake!

I also got to take my nephew out for his first big game animal this spring and that was a great day too! I highly recommend the experience to anyone that isn't so focused on their own kill that they can give it up for a newbie. Perhaps the most successful trophy hunters would be the best "guides" with the understanding that the newbie can shoot any deer/goat/sheep/moose/ etc that the "guide" doesn't want. DANA - I might be long in the tooth but I'd be happy to take your passed over mulies!! HINT!!

07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I enjoy taking new guys out .......the only way we are going to grow our numbers is if everyone takes an interest and doesn't leave it for the next guy. Last few years l have helped at least a dozen guys/gals with the pal/core program....its a small way of giving back to a past time which has given me so much pleasure over the years. The pettiness sometimes heard on hunting sites belong to a small minority of the people, most are pretty good folks, and more then willing to help a new guy/gal get started.

moosecaller
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
No problem here with helping out the new people, it's nice to see someone get bitten by the hunting bug and jump like a terrier when offered the chance to go out. Renews my energy levels seeing newbies out there sucking in all the info they can digest.

Caveman
07-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't the helping a new hunter out is the issue. The feeling of guys fishing for locations without paying dues, so to speak, is what gets under guys skin. I have no issues giving a guy pointers or even pointing them in the right direction. But if I was asked to give insight into my favorite spots, other to a friend, I might feel a little put out. There is a ton of information for all here to pick up on or learn if you use the search button and do a little reading. There is a lot of crap as well, you just need to know enough to read between the lines, and if asking for advice, be careful how you ask, most guys are very approachable. We were all new at one point and had someone show us the ropes, be it your father, uncle grandfather or a buddy, but it was first hand. This is just a different forum for gathering experience, IMHO!

Kody94
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Real life is not even comparable to intraweb life.

In real life, most folks are very open to helping noobs out. But most hunting and fishing (and other) information (particularly related to LOCATIONS) is generally not passed out freely and openly to just anyone that asks. Typically, you get a little info, then if you prove that your serious and are willing to put in some effort, you'll get a little more...and so on.

I don't pass out piles of free info to folks I don't know, have never met and can't even tell what the heck their real name is. Especially when its their first post on a hunting site.

Don't forget that this is a freakin public site too. Everytime you post up an answer to someone looking for a little hint, you're broadcasting it to the world.

I give out LOTS of information to noobs that I do know. At least enough to get them started in the right direction...then they have to earn more.

That's the way my mentors showed me, and the circle continues. I'm still being mentored myself in many things...like fly-fishing for example.

I barely have time to hunt for myself anymore. So I don't spend a lot of time hunting with new folks even though I would enjoy it. Hell, most of my long-time friends probably feel I have abandoned them. I never made it out for a single bear hunt this spring and have been hearing about it. :)

While I am on a roll, I'll say that I don't mind folks coming on here asking information about the LEH they just got. They may not get much info out of me specifically, but at least they plan to use their draw!! What really chaps my azz is the folks that throw draws in willy-nilly for everything including the kitchen sink, then don't hunt them. argghh.

Cheers
4Ster

BlacktailStalker
07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi. I'm new.
Can somebody take me to a honey hole where I have a high chance at a book mule deer ?
This site is great.
Thanks !

In return I'll show you a great place to catch all the dog fish you want !

Wolfman
07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi. I'm new.
Can somebody take me to a honey hole where I have a high chance at a book mule deer ?
This site is great.
Thanks !

In return I'll show you a great place to catch all the dog fish you want !

Damn near peed my pants with that one! :grin:

Wolfman

hotload
07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
So what I think we are getting here is all the " Yes I will help you out" hunters answering the majority of the questions and relating why they Will Help out new hunters. I think a lot of hunters won't chime onto this thread because of the replies that might be rendered onto them,so, in saying that I suspect that some people have legit reason why they might just want to keep there cards close. Bringing them out into the open and hearing what they might just have to say just might surprise some and maybe sway.
Just my opinion

morleystw
07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
this day and age when hunter numbers are down everybody should be trying to help the new guys out,if it was a hot chic asking there would be pages of info with the hopes of a kitty sniff.ive taken lots of guys out,taught them to call,give them some hope and get a few animals under there belt,just like my mentors did,thanks to them im a hunting nut.we have to hope they bring in more hunters behind them,becuase with out the new guys and girls our hunting and shooting sport could be threatened in the future.ive hunted all over bc,i do a month straight a year +++,if anybody asks there more than welcome to join our camp.so to all you super hunters that dont want to help the new guys its ok,theres alot of good guys out there that will.just my opinion.

Sideofabarn
07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm reasonably new at hunting in North America myself, coming up on my third season. I have been learning on the fly, which can be frustrating at times, hunting big game is vastly different to hunting rabbits I found! My only stipulation is that whoever I hunt with does not start pounding beers at 8am, and yes I had this happen in my first season. Pops are for around the fire after the day is done. As much as I'd like to go with someone more experienced, there is much to be said for learning by doing.

bearhunter338-06
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
most of my help to new hunters is sent by PM.

Gateholio
07-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I take out new people when I can, and I've taken out plenty over the years.

I taught myself to hunt, with no mentors, and that was before the intraweb, so it's a steep learning curve, especially when most hunting magazine "Top Tips to Bag Your Buck!" are about eastern whitetail hunting...

Still, I have to draw the line somewhere. Especially as I live close to the Lower Mainland, I get inundated by online "take me out" requests. I'm happy to point someone in the right direction, but I just don't have time to take out several new hunters every year.

If I had one piece of advice to give to new hunters it woudl be "don't get discouraged"

If you wait for someone to show you what to do, you are going to miss out on much. Just get out and give it a go.

bowhunterbruce
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
the term new hunting partners not only applies to newbies just starting out in our sport but i believe it also applies to hunting with other experienced guys and girls as well.
over the year i have started many many newbies hunting and have taught them a trick or two about finding and putting meat in the freezer,and although i will never turn away any newbies i will limit myself.
i am hopeing to get out a few times this up comming season to show a new hunting buddy i met here on hbc a few good spots.
although the big trips this year will be limited do to timing mainly im sure we will kick some critters butts in the future.
for myself, experiences that are shown and taught to me only allow me to gain more experiences and share them with new found friends.
i think its kind of sad to see that so many of you people out there are limited as to how much you can get out to go hunting because its not right in your back yard and i totally sympathize with you and understand your needs to keep the good spots you have found to yourselfs.
i have been fortunate to grow up hunting in an area where there are so many good spots for deer that i can show a new one to different people every year and still not see them in those spots throughout the following seasons ,yet time again i get a phone call and a thanks.the feeling i get at that moment is that of a proud father watching the excitment in his kids face when he touchs his/her first harvest.
in short yes i am and always will be open to new hunting partners weather i am teaching or being taught.
bruce

killman
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
It's tough to find hunting partners! Not all personalities go together and like others have said hunting views can be quite different. Good on you all that have taken new hunter out, it can be a scary ordeal.

bsa30-06
07-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I have no problem taking anybody to the area i hunt, or passing along info about that area.I have passed along detailed info to a few members here.I havent been doing this that long ( 6-7 years) and havent been extremely succesfull but am willing to help if i think i can.

cloverphil
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
If I had one piece of advice to give to new hunters it woudl be "don't get discouraged"

If you wait for someone to show you what to do, you are going to miss out on much. Just get out and give it a go.

I took up hunting last year after my Dad gave me his old rifles, and have been out alone more times than not, including overnight in the snow near Kamloops, unsuccessful.

I also went out twice with different co-workers, first time was only unsuccessful because my gun was unloaded and as I cycled the bolt the buck took off; the second time was successful and we found a 5 point mule standing on the road, I have yet to see any of the meat even though he came outta the bush in the back of my truck

I have never tasted any kind of deer ( white-tail or mule) or elk but enjoy moose and hope to find all 4 of my own sooner or later

I've never seen an elk, moose or white-tail but I will have a loaded gun next time . . . lol

I will go again, alone, because staying home is not getting it done

bogtrotter
07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I am open to new, inexperienced hunting partners but it is unlikely that I will look for them on the Internet. More likely, it would be someone I meet at sporting clays etc. who shows a knowledge of gun safety and common courtesy. So there is a tip for all you newbies, if you want to meet hunting people, go to a place where they meet. Forget the Internet !

lunatic
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I have no problem taking anybody to the area i hunt, or passing along info about that area.I have passed along detailed info to a few members here.I havent been doing this that long ( 6-7 years) and havent been extremely succesfull but am willing to help if i think i can.

Yikes! now that is one thing I won't do. I have helped out quite a few hunters especially when it comes to elk. I will help with their calling, give them pointers, tell them what type of habitat to look for etc. I will not however, tell them where to go. I will suggest "areas" then it's up to them to do some work. I generally hunt alone now that my dad is gone, but ocassionally will hunt with the inlaws from down South if they come up. I made the mistake one time of taking a good friend that I fully trusted into a prime elk spot of mine, and the next time I went in there, lo and behold there he was with all his family. After that, all his families friends were there too and on and on it went. That was the last time!

bsa30-06
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Yikes! now that is one thing I won't do. I have helped out quite a few hunters especially when it comes to elk. I will help with their calling, give them pointers, tell them what type of habitat to look for etc. I will not however, tell them where to go. I will suggest "areas" then it's up to them to do some work. I generally hunt alone now that my dad is gone, but ocassionally will hunt with the inlaws from down South if they come up. I made the mistake one time of taking a good friend that I fully trusted into a prime elk spot of mine, and the next time I went in there, lo and behold there he was with all his family. After that, all his families friends were there too and on and on it went. That was the last time!

Maybe i should clarify .....the info passed along was for an animal i dont hunt, and had no reason not to share with somebody else.

Jelvis
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd help a double jointed super model to hunt, whose dad is a billionaire and made his fortunes through his own line of distillery's.
Jel -- What ice cream do monkey's eat --- Chocolate chimp -- lol -

brian
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
as a new hunter...as a guy who hasn't had 1 season under his belt yet, I know how much I would appreciate an experienced person to apprentice me. that said, I've noticed all to well the distain for those who post asking for help on the forums, which saddens me

Being a relatively new hunter myself I can say that there are some excellent advice that is given by people all to happy to help a new guy out, you just have to know the right questions to ask. In the old "give a man a fish teach him to fish parable", there aren't many people here willing to give you fish, but there are plenty who'll teach you how to fish. I'd say since its your first season go out there and beat the bush and see what you see. Then come back with specific questions, and get hopefully get some answers... or least enough of an answer to lead you to your next question.

As for actually taking someone out, I'd be happy to... but it would be a bit of the blind leading the blind. I still have waaay too much learning to do.

MadCat
07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
I think that it all comes down to what a new hunter considers helping them out. If you think that everyone should jump in and tell you where to go hunt this and that, well yah you won't get much of a response. However if you want to know how do I start hunting this, or what is the best way, then I think that people will give you some good advice or a starting point. I know that this is the last place I would post one of my hunting spots. The reason I say this is because this websit came up a ton of times when I was researching sheep hunting. Remember if you ask "how" instead of "where" you will probably get alot further and the best way to learn is get out there and do it.

Wolfman
07-28-2009, 12:14 AM
First time I ever went out was as a 20 something, for deer with my uncle. Later it was in the Yukon for moose. Years passed and I was lucky to find people willing to show me the ropes.

Everyone who ever took me out, took me out - they didn't give me any honey holes or anything like that. Out of respect I never went back into any of the places I was shown without the person who originally took me there - or I went with their permission.

I think its about respect: There *are* some great fellas who will take the less experienced guys out, and that is fantastic. As long as there is respect I think its a great thing.

Wolfman

MadCat
07-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Everyone who ever took me out, took me out - they didn't give me any honey holes or anything like that. Out of respect I never went back into any of the places I was shown without the person who originally took me there - or I went with their permission.

I think its about respect: There *are* some great fellas who will take the less experienced guys out, and that is fantastic. As long as there is respect I think its a great thing.

Wolfman[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. I realy enjoy taking new people out but there has to be that respect thing like you said. Theres nothing better then seeing someone shoot their first animal and the look on there face, and thats why we do it. But theres nothing worse then seeing a guy that you brought into a spot with 2 of his buddies that he's showing the spot to. (Had this happen a more then once). New hunters heed what Wolfman said and it will go a long ways.

hunter1947
07-28-2009, 05:28 AM
I help in anyway I can whenever I am asked on this site :wink:.

So that means that I am not one of the forum members that don't help out others if I can.

Of course I will not tell others of my honey hole ,but I will tell them of another place that will be productive.

If I can put some hunters onto some good hunting areas ,why not ,I am not going to take them with me when I leave this world ,at least I can pass it on to the new up coming generations.

sawmill
07-28-2009, 06:03 AM

So that means that I am not one of the forum members that don't help out others if I can.

Of course I will not tell others of my honey hole ,but I will tell them of another place that will be productive.

If I can put some hunters onto some good hunting areas ,why not ,I am not going to take them with me when I leave this world ,at least I can pass it on to the new up coming generations.

And that`s one of the reasons I am looking forward to your visit here this fall!I`m taking a new hunter come Sept.,my wife .Like you said,you can`t take it with you but you can pass it on.

hunter1947
07-28-2009, 06:19 AM
And that`s one of the reasons I am looking forward to your visit here this fall!I`m taking a new hunter come Sept.,my wife .Like you said,you can`t take it with you but you can pass it on.

Joe I wish I lived there I would not now where to go on opening morning :roll: ,there would be so many places that I had worked in prescouting that I would have to flip a coin to decide the place I should go that opening morning for elk and deer.

I would be living there as I speak if it where not for my wife ,she does not like the snow,cold,ice http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

horshur
07-28-2009, 06:53 AM
sentimentaly I value introducing new people to the sport especialy family however reality suggests it is a larger commitment than it appears.

hunting is how I get away from it all.....time table..responsibility ect.

having a dependant along throws a wrench in all of that.

My old man used to get pissed at us when we blew a stalk or a shot and I resented that at the time however what goes around comes back and here am I yelling at my kid for screwing up a easy shot!!!! why?

because there is a finite bit of time and they wring out every last second already....

I hate fishing with the kids....absolutely hate it!!! spend your whole day untangleing lines.......spraying them with Off...stopping to take a pee..the endless chatter the distrupts a quite lake...sunscreen...more Off...'I'm bored"... dodging hooks....and fighting with their sibs!!..wet socks.

it is more of the same taking them hunting.

dino
07-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Right on 1947

bad arrow
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm all up for taking new hunter's out and have offered here a couple of times, but their a no show, I'm mostly a solitary hunter even when I am out with my son's. The new hunter's that I have taken get bored with my method's and seem to want to road hunt, which is not the way I like to hunt. Like someone said here, I like to hike, sneak hunt, or stand hunt, perhaps all at the same time, and if someone is impatient, we are not compatible. If I go solo I dont have to worry about anything but myself, but I do enjoy teaching someone that really wants to be taught, and the offer is still open.

trapperdan2061
07-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I try to take a new guy out every year, I like taking guy's out who have been hunting and not got anything, Neale last year although we didn't get anything the day he was with me he had the opertunity to learn, and the next day he went back to the spot I showed him and got his first deer.

It's a good feeling that someone new has entered the life style.

J_T
07-28-2009, 08:28 AM
sentimentaly I value introducing new people to the sport especialy family however reality suggests it is a larger commitment than it appears.

My old man used to get pissed at us when we blew a stalk or a shot and I resented that at the time however what goes around comes back and here am I yelling at my kid for screwing up a easy shot!!!! why?

because there is a finite bit of time and they wring out every last second already....

I hate fishing with the kids....absolutely hate it!!! spend your whole day untangleing lines.......spraying them with Off...stopping to take a pee..the endless chatter the distrupts a quite lake...sunscreen...more Off...'I'm bored"... dodging hooks....and fighting with their sibs!!..wet socks.

it is more of the same taking them hunting. haha, I have to laugh at the fishing experience. I raised 4 boys and having them all fishing and fighting over the same fishing hole is quite an experience. I have tangled lines nightmares. I'm only just now (15 years later) back fishing for myself.

I found hunting different though. But i had more support from my Dad and my brother in taking one boy each.

Bringing new hunters is not just about bringing "new" hunters in. It can be about taking well seasoned hunters who want to hunt somewhere new, or something new, or accept the challenge of a new weapon. Cause hunting with a rifle and shifting to a bow is very different and requires a different set of skills.

What you have to consider when mentoring or introducing someone to your hunting style or area, is that once you show someone a good time or success, is that they never leave.....

Gateholio
07-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I am open to new, inexperienced hunting partners but it is unlikely that I will look for them on the Internet. More likely, it would be someone I meet at sporting clays etc. who shows a knowledge of gun safety and common courtesy. So there is a tip for all you newbies, if you want to meet hunting people, go to a place where they meet. Forget the Internet !

I agree that meeting with people at local F&G clubs or shooting matches is a good way to met mentors, but the intraweb isn't bad either. At last count, I'd taken out 8 new or newish hunters that I met online. Some were better than others, and the females always shot straighter than the males.;-)

Kody94
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM

it is more of the same taking them hunting.

So true, and well said!

When I was in my early teens and after I felt I had proved myself or "paid my dues", I was a little hurt/upset when my Pa wouldn't invite me along on his annual two week moose hunt with his buddies.

25 years later...man, do I understand now! And do I ever appreciate the effort that he made to hunt with me every other weekend of the season, and lots of evenings after work.

My bro' and I were pretty well behaved when we went fishing, but my old man sure spent a lot of time untangling lines (until I was old enough to do it all). He sure likes fishing with his boys a lot more now. :)

troutseeker
07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
If she is nubile, yes!

Arctic Lake
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I say good on anybody that is a decent hunter and takes a new hunter.I hope those that do the mentoring are the good guys.I don't know how many guys I used to see out there who were road hunting and drinking beer at the same time.I have road hunted in the course of going to one location or another to hike around,but while pounding beer.What about the guys that come back from the morning hunt have a few beers and then go back out again,that just doesn't jive with me.Leaving garbage all over the place.ETC.ETC. I think the more responsible guy's taking newbies out is the best for our hunting community.I remember coming across a guy road hunting in old Chevy Blazer while I was walking down the side of a logging road with my hunting partner.This guy in the Blazer stopped and we started BSing for a few minutes,when he motored on I said to my partner''Did you see that guy had a beer between his legs"My partner said that's not all"What do mean?"I said."That guy was wearing slippers"he replied LOL!
Arctic Lake

moosinaround
07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Nope!:wink:

thecoug
07-28-2009, 05:31 PM
So what I think we are getting here is all the " Yes I will help you out" hunters answering the majority of the questions and relating why they Will Help out new hunters. I think a lot of hunters won't chime onto this thread because of the replies that might be rendered onto them,so, in saying that I suspect that some people have legit reason why they might just want to keep there cards close. Bringing them out into the open and hearing what they might just have to say just might surprise some and maybe sway.
Just my opinion

OK then... here ya go... Yes, it is mentoring rather than "apprentice". It takes time and a lot of patience AND TRUST..
I watched a prime steelheading area ruined by some postings on a forum.. or should I say by one "WEENIE" who caught his first steelie and then told the world where he did it..
I gave a young hunter a location where I had seen a beautiful buck several times in a weeks period... He was DESPERATE for a deer.. He whacked it with a hurried pathetic shot and never stuck with his track, so lost and killed a great animal..
I did similarly with a young guy with geese.. He was caught poaching a few weeks later..
Do I mentor... YEP... Am I extremely selective as to who I mentor.. YOU BET YOUR SWEET ASS.. Am I reluctant to share that with "the web"?? Yep, because very many of the posters have proven to be poseurs and only write about what many of us have done for years...
Conservation takes time and effort.. So does a successful, ethical hunt..
Yep.. There ya go... a little bittersweet.. My main beef is that a lot of newer hunters want it right now and ALL OF IT right now.. Sorry.. I really believe that you have to INVEST your time, passion, and walk a mile rather than text for your hunting priviledges in this province...

sparkes3
07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
i dont mind taking out new hunters .i just dont take them to my honey holes

Wild one
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I do take out new hunters almost every year but this year the only 2 new hunters I am taking are my old lady and my uncle. Next year if asked I will most likely take out a new hunter.

cloverphil
07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I went hunting once in the early 80's with my dad , but it was only a day trip with the station wagon to Squamish; we parked and walked for about an hour and then left.
I'm not sure why he was never really serious about bagging anything and we never went again. He's too old to go with me now.
I think that is the only time I ever remember him taking his rifles out of the house other than one trip to the Barnet rifle range.

kgs
07-28-2009, 10:59 PM
I have been very lucky to have lots of friends who hunt and have helped me over the years. However every once in a while I find one hunter who does not like to share knowledge. Most are afraid that someone will steal their honey hole lol..

silvicon
07-29-2009, 06:27 AM
I don't want to take out young(new) hunters.
they lack ethic, endurance, basic knowledge, want to wear camouflage
and shoot semi auto rifles and shotguns.
shoot at road signs, kill song birds and so on.

moosinaround
07-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Yup ALL young new hunters are like that??? Seriously?? You can paint em all with that eh?? Maybe an experienced ethical hunter such as yourself should take them and mentor them so they will learn proper ethics, develop endurance, and hone their knowledge!!:eek:

d6dan
07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Yup ALL young new hunters are like that??? Seriously?? You can paint em all with that eh?? Maybe an experienced ethical hunter such as yourself should take them and mentor them so they will learn proper ethics, develop endurance, and hone their knowledge!!:eek:

x2, I couldn't agree more!!!. Good advice for all seasoned,ethical hunters.:-D

Wild one
07-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Silvicon The only reason you get new hunters like that is most of the time no one has taught them ethics .I have taken my fare share of new hunters and not one has turned into a sign shooting idiot .If this is what you think they will be like why not take them out and show and teach them the right way before they even start

elkdom
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
personally if I observed someone shooting signs, killing song birds,

I would report them to a CO or the RCMP,,,

as for trying to "convert" such an A$$ Hole, I wouldn't have him near me!

Wild one
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Not saying convert but teach them ethics before they pick up these habits. Some will always be idiots but what I can say is all the guys I helped and still talk to are not like that. I think if a new hunter is taken out by some one with good ethics it will help there is a good chance they will pick up the ethics of the hunter teaching them the ropes.

elkdom
07-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Not saying convert but teach them ethics before they pick up these habits. Some will always be idiots but what I can say is all the guys I helped and still talk to are not like that. I think if a new hunter is taken out by some one with good ethics it will help there is a good chance they will pick up the ethics of the hunter teaching them the ropes.

if they are already "loosers" I dont want them,,,

but others that wish to learn, I have introduced dozens to the sport, and I insist they play by the rules,,,

Wild one
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree some are born stupid but those I can't stand being around long enough to even say I will take them.

ROY-alty33
07-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I've taken one NOOB out with me recently. It work out great. Mind you we were pretty good friends before, and are even better friends now. He was willing to learn and listen. Now we are planning on taking at least one NOOB hunter out with our threesome this fall, and it could be two.
We need to share our knowledge (as limitedf as mine is lol) in an effort to get more people involved in our sport.

GoatGuy
07-29-2009, 01:30 PM

typical........................

wolverine
07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I dunno... I think for the most part this site is pretty accepting of new hunters however that being said the name of the site is Hunting BC not "How to Hunt BC". There is nothing wrong with asking questions, it's one of the ways to learn but there is also nothing wrong with directing some of the "where do I go for (fill in the blank)" or " how do I do (fill in the blank)" questions to the regs or a good book on the subject otherwise this could become Hunting B.C. Kindergarten. If you are that green it's probably questions you should have had answered before you got a license and a firearm. Mentoring is an admiralble activity. I have done it a few times myself but usually with people I know or have some kind of previous connection to. To mentor someone sight unseen takes a special person. I think that people that ask questions on this site get an excellent cross section of responses but like everything..... there is a limit.

horshur
07-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Montague Stevens book....."Meet Mr Grizzly" ....there was some trouble with cattle and horse stealing and it was troublesome in those days to investigate possibilities for you do not acuse a nieghbour for fear of insulting him........Monty concuded the surest way to weed out a rat is to ask them what they would do if they were robbbed...typicaly the honest folk had no answer....the dishonest had no end to the words of what they would do to those who would steal from them....hmmm???? makes you think don't it?

huntwriter
07-29-2009, 04:56 PM

...and so it is better to ignore them. Would it then not be wiser to take them out and show them the proper ways? Sure it would be.

I take out many new hunters each year plus "educate" the ones that attend my seminars and hunting courses. There is only one way that we can preserve our hunting heritage for the future and that is by taking as many people as humanly possible out to hunt.

We need to make efforts and reach out beyond our immediate family and friends. I know that there are many young and adults that have no hunting background yet wish to become hunters. These are the people we have to reach because they have nobody to guide them along and these are the ones that are most likely to get into the wrong kind of circles.

Nobody is born with "ethics, endurance and basic knowledge" they have to learn it and so what if they want to shoot semi auto rifles and shotguns, it's not a crime.:roll:

Brett
07-29-2009, 05:15 PM
I am a new hunter.
I just wanted to say THANKS to those of you willing to give tips and or mentor new hunters. I had always lived in big cities growing up and always wanted to learn to hunt, but I had no one to spend the time to teach me. I went for my PAL/FAC at 13 and never finished filling out the paper work. When I knew I was moving to PG I began to research what gun to buy, scope, hunting practices and finaly got my pal ect 20 years later. While researching found this forum. Shortly after I moved here I attended a barbeque at Noahdawgs house and met some of the local members. I have since seen many of them again and have 2 good hunting partners and friends who have taught me tonnes!! There is plenty still to learn and some of it we are learning together. I can't wait for the season to begin! THANKS GUYS!! sniffle, ;)

longhairmtnman
07-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the input.

6-7 years ago I chatted with a fellow hunter on another site. Eventually we met for coffee a couple of times, and set the foundation for future meets. It was a-lot of been there done that, and some good stories. Months later I was eventually asked to go on my first moose hunt, to which I greatfully accepted. I'm no spring chicken(41 now, and apprentice hunter at best), so it wasn't my 'first time'. This inital hunt led to many hunting adventures, and I don't mean all game down kinda hunts. It was packing gear, cleaning game, cutting wood, cooking and camp chores, locating lost partners and digging out stuck trucks, and very very early mornings.:biggrin:
This one chance meeting introduced me to other areas of this great province, and more hunters with like mind, and methods which I could adapt to my needs, which bettered me with confidence and ethics.
On average, we hunt less than two weeks a season, and yet most are reluctant to supplement others with knowledge or guidance, to which some might benefit during the other 14 + 'popular' weeks of hunting. I've talked to many hunters regarding methods, locations, leh etc. Most don't even have the internet for reference or interaction, which leads me to believe we are still a small portion of the hunting community here on line. Recently a co-worker said "hey you got a moose draw in Quesnel, I'll call a guy I know, he lives there and loves to hunt. This, is what Im talking about.:grin:

Before I am flamed, all I am saying is, taking a chance by meeting a couple guys(or girls) to explore the possibility of a hunt together, only strengthens us, as the community to which we belong. It doesn't mean you gotta jump into it full on, or hunt with a dick-head. Recruiting a newbie is even better, especially if it's someone you already know, that may be on the fence.

Food for thought:
How about a chat location on the site where those that have the need, may post where and when they are gonna(or want to)hunt, and others can reply to the posts? If your not interested you don't have to browse it. NO... this would not be a dating site!:biggrin:

moosinaround
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
I am a new hunter.
I just wanted to say THANKS to those of you willing to give tips and or mentor new hunters. I had always lived in big cities growing up and always wanted to learn to hunt, but I had no one to spend the time to teach me. I went for my PAL/FAC at 13 and never finished filling out the paper work. When I knew I was moving to PG I began to research what gun to buy, scope, hunting practices and finaly got my pal ect 20 years later. While researching found this forum. Shortly after I moved here I attended a barbeque at Noahdawgs house and met some of the local members. I have since seen many of them again and have 2 good hunting partners and friends who have taught me tonnes!! There is plenty still to learn and some of it we are learning together. I can't wait for the season to begin! THANKS GUYS!! sniffle, ;)
Buy that cow call and bugle!! need to practice for the "big" hunt. We'll see if we can fill a couple of freezers this season. Here Moosey Moosey!! I am dreaming of screaming bull elk already!