PDA

View Full Version : whats with all the leh Q's??

sarnold
07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Can anyone tell me why people put in for leh tags with what seens to be limited knowledge of what they are going after or the terrian?
I'm a fairly new hunter and got a few leh tags myself, but I have a friend that I will be hunting with that knows the areas and game where will be hunting, I can not imagine putting in and then getting a leh draw with little or no knowledge of the area and game......I would feel like I was cheating some other hunters out of that tag......
Any other comments?????:confused:

kennyj
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Often I'll put in for a draw in a new area that I've been wanting to check out.If I draw the tag then I get serious about researching it.I do agree though that people should have at least a basic idea of what they are putting in for and how they are going to go about it if they get drawn. Areas with low hunter success due to a lack of hunter participation ( people not knowing what they are getting into) give out more tags, so it really doesn't effect our odds of success.But you have to start somewhere and if I can help someone with info on a new area I will.
kenny

Seeadler
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
What better way to get to know an area than hunting it? And what better excuse to see some new country?

mfarrally
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I have heard someone say this before in a previous thread. People put in for areas they have never been because it is an adventure. There is nothing better than hunting some new exciting area you've never hunted before. I live in Victoria and got a Bison draw last year, i had never been up there but it was a blast going up there and hunting new animals and terrain. We live in the best hunting province in Canada and probably the world, Take advantage of it and see it! And put in for any draw you bloody well want to!

Brambles
07-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Trust me, it drives A LOT of us freakin NUTZ.

Krico
07-26-2009, 06:47 PM
The list of remote areas in BC to try hunting is almost endless...pretty tough to have intimate knowledge of them all. I agree people should have some basic knowledge of what they're applying for, but see no problem with someone asking for help on things like access, water availability, weather expectations etc. If someone wants to put an X on the map, then great! I'm sure we could all use a little help now and then, even just a head start on where to begin searching for animals.

No matter where you go, there is always going to be sign of someone being there before you, so to those who think they discovered every hunting spot they know of, get over yourselves.

Want to help a guy out, go for it! If you don't, that's your choice too. But don't shit on someone just because they asked for help. That's what these sites are for.

ROEBUCK
07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
could not agree more!
if ya cant help a fellow hunter out
then shame on you!

quote=Krico;487601]The list of remote areas in BC to try hunting is almost endless...pretty tough to have intimate knowledge of them all. I agree people should have some basic knowledge of what they're applying for, but see no problem with someone asking for help on things like access, water availability, weather expectations etc. If someone wants to put an X on the map, then great! I'm sure we could all use a little help now and then, even just a head start on where to begin searching for animals.

No matter where you go, there is always going to be sign of someone being there before you, so to those who think they discovered every hunting spot they know of, get over yourselves.

Want to help a guy out, go for it! If you don't, that's your choice too. But don't shit on someone just because they asked for help. That's what these sites are for.[/quote]

sawmill
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
And that`s why I only LEH in my backyard.At least I know the country and I too poor for an adventure anyway.

sarnold
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I understand all that and that it is our right to get a tag for any part of the province and try to fill the tag.... but as mentioned give out more tags then......because I'm sure the number of tags filled by those with limited knowledge of an area compared to say a "local" is probably alot diffrent..?
I guess there was one post thread that a fellow got one of the bull elk tags in the kootneys and he was on here asking for direction......there are thousands of guys that would kill for that tag and probably, in my humble opinion deserve it more

you guys can honestly say you would tip a guy off or give general knowledge to a guy that was coming into your area with a leh tag to shot a large elk or moose that you have been watching for years?

Shooter
07-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok but look at it from a guy's perspective that may live on Vancouver Island. Pretty tough to get out and scout the interior on weekends. And if you wanna go after, Mule deer, White tailed deer, Moose, Bison, G-bear. Just because someone may ask for some pointers or tips on an area from this website doesn't meen they don't deserve the tag. As long as they have every intention of making the trip when they fill out their cards I say have at it.

You say you are hunting with someone that has knowledge of where you are going to be hunting. What happens if he has to cancel on you? does that meen you won't make the trips? Or will you look for help / advice where you can find it and then just make do with the knowledge you have? Knowing an area intimately for hunting purposes takes many years of hunting the same areas... You can only gain that knowledge from getting out there and hittin it even if you don't know it so well yet.. it will come.

07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I've seen more of BC on LEH's then any other way :) .......sometimes get what l am after, sometimes not, but its always fun. Why does any one have to do is justify to anyone their decisions for their draws. Some of the feedback suggests we are less of a hunter if the reason for our LEH choices don't meet others expectations. Everyone has the same chance, so even if a guy blows off a draw, what skin is it off any ones ass.......if the person was successfully, would that make it OK? As mentioned, we live in a great province for hunting, get out and enjoy which ever way works you!!

moosecaller
07-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Can anyone tell me why people put in for leh tags with what seens to be limited knowledge of what they are going after or the terrian?
I'm a fairly new hunter and got a few leh tags myself, but I have a friend that I will be hunting with that knows the areas and game where will be hunting, I can not imagine putting in and then getting a leh draw with little or no knowledge of the area and game......I would feel like I was cheating some other hunters out of that tag......

Maybe like you they are fairly new hunters looking for "new" friends that know the area like your friend does. You got some LEH tags and hunt with someone that knows the area! What is the difference between that and asking questions of the membership? Your comment seems a tad hypocritical and bias toward new hunters; don't you think? If you have to hunt with someone that knows the area aren't you cheating someone of that tag because of your limited experience? I have put other hunters in some of my best spots and don't begrudge them at all for being "new" and of "limited knowledge" I find this thread insulting and rude.

behemoth
07-26-2009, 08:19 PM
You will never be a better hunter if you don't hunt for species you havent hunted before in areas you've never hunted.
It's all part of the sport, this is just another area to get some preliminary research done.

yamadirt 426
07-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I hope this thread does not apply to new hunters. Its my wife and I 1st year and we both drew whitetail antlerless for new hunters 8-9 . I might have some questions soon. I'll do alot of homework first. Thanks guys

Wild one
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
As long as the hunter goes on the hunt and trys WHO CARES. I will apply for places I have never been and I will hunt the area the best I can and if I can I will check it out before the season .

07-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I have always tried to be helpful to those needing info, especially if it's a new to the sport hunter.
That said, we have been drawn (talking several friends) several times over numerous years, and our favorite area has been decimated by logging for beetle kill purposes so the game has moved on. We have put in for a new area too us, with reduced odds but semi close to home rather then hitting the north country. The odds were like 13 or 14 to 1, our odds reduced because of being drawn in the last 3 years, so we really did not think we would get it .... but we did ...not to complain by any means, we just got lucky and know of a couple friends that have had success in the area before.

So .... what's wrong with asking for help ... big flippin deal, if you don't want to help ... then don't ....it's not like everyone is asking for exact particulars on favorite honey holes etc. or where they are tied to the trees.

This is a website to share experience's with fellow hunters and in my opinion a great way to help new comers to the sport.

CT

sarnold
07-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes it is great we have a place to ask questions!!

sarnold
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
sorry if i raised anyones blood preasure to high..
I'm luckier than most new hunters!!
I'm in a group so a few would need to cancel....
i do not think I was being hypocritical, because I was asked to join a group I did not get a tag and hope people would inform me...

Ruger4
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
[quote=sarnold;487642]sorry if i raised anyones blood preasure to high..
I'm luckier than most new hunters!!
I'm in a group so a few would need to cancel....

So if your group cancels we'll expect and await your call from here on HBC for tips and directions to fill all your tags. :tongue:

moosinaround
07-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I understand all that and that it is our right to get a tag for any part of the province and try to fill the tag.... but as mentioned give out more tags then......because I'm sure the number of tags filled by those with limited knowledge of an area compared to say a "local" is probably alot diffrent..?
I guess there was one post thread that a fellow got one of the bull elk tags in the kootneys and he was on here asking for direction......there are thousands of guys that would kill for that tag and probably, in my humble opinion deserve it more

you guys can honestly say you would tip a guy off or give general knowledge to a guy that was coming into your area with a leh tag to shot a large elk or moose that you have been watching for years?
I have and do help other hunters. I might even take em out if we can cordinate a time. I like to help out new hunters, or disadvantaged, or disabled hunters, find spots to go and check out. I have had members here help me out with info and techniques, it is how we all help one another out. I won't give you my honey holes, but close enough to have success. Moosin

EvanG
07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
As long as the hunter goes on the hunt and trys WHO CARES. I will apply for places I have never been and I will hunt the area the best I can and if I can I will check it out before the season .

I agree as long as they give it a good shot who cares, but it is kinda a piss off when guys put in for a goat hunt or anything else for that matter, expecting to shoot one off the road only to find out later that its a days hike into goat country or a fly-in and say %%%% it. You dont need to have an leh to go out and explore the province especially if you dont have any real intention of using it.

ps dont get me wrong, Im all for people asking questions about their hunt , i do it all the time.

Krico
07-26-2009, 10:25 PM

So because someone lives nearby they deserve the tag more???

Just because you lucked out and have someone to hold your hand does not give you the right to bash those looking for assistance. I've been hunting and fishing for over 25 years, for all kinds of species all over the province. I still try new things all the time - which means I research as much as possible, and look to those with experience for guidance when starting out. Unless you do the same hunt in the same place year after year, there will come a day when you too feel the need to ask for assistance when trying something new. Maybe then you'll understand why you have been dogpiled here today.

Paulyman
07-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Not all of us have the luxury of living in these areas,it's not as if these people that are asking these questions have done no research.How else are they going to learn new areas if they don't roll the dice and then do a little research afterwards.Some people can't afford to shell out the cash on a trip up to thier leh hunting location strictly for scouting with no guarantee of an leh in the first place and then go to the same spot again if they are even lucky enough to get drawn!

I personaly have never put in for an area that i didn't know unless i was going with someone who did, but wouldn't hesitate for a second if i saw an area that had good access and decent harvest stats if my current area stopped producing.If you were the type that was willing to help , then good on ya!, if not oh well.

Paulyman
07-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Trust me, it drives A LOT of us freakin NUTZ.

I got an LEH autorization for 7-14 and have never been there,do you know any areas i can go,i mean i don't wan't your honeyhole or anything just a general area as a starting point?
:)

reach
07-27-2009, 12:41 AM

Is this a troll? You seem to be poking the hornet's nest a lot.

As a relatively new hunter myself (this will be my fourth season) I've been lucky with the draws and have stuck to antlerless draws so far to get a feel for the areas before putting in for a bull draw once I have a clue how to hunt the area. I hope that strategy meets with your approval since you are apparently in charge of deciding who deserves a tag.

I don't have any regular hunting buddies and nobody in my family hunts. So I'm learning as I go, mostly by myself. Asking questions to get a general idea how to hunt a new area or species saves a lot of trial and error (though there's still plenty of error). I never ask what tree to stand behind but do try and get a few hints that will put me in the ballpark. I haven't asked too many questions myself but I do read everything others have asked.

Thanks to all those on this forum who have provided advice via posts or PMs. You know who you are and your help is greatly appreciated.

sawmill
07-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Reach is right,that`s what this forum should be all about.I am happy to help out if I can,no skin off my ass.I always score,why shouldn`t every one?

hunter1947
07-27-2009, 05:27 AM
The only time that I will put in for an LEH area is if I know the area or I have a friend that lives in the area and knows where to hunt it.

I think that why hunter put in for areas that they have no knowledge of is because they just want to be picked for an LEH draw and it don't matter what area ,they are willing to go give it a hunt.

BiG Boar
07-27-2009, 07:04 AM
if you dont put in for LEH's in areas you have never been to, then you likely arnt very adventurous. If you decide to do it one day, don't ask here. No one will help you out now.

bowhunterbruce
07-27-2009, 07:29 AM
for myself, i personally love the challenge of hunting in new areas.ive been a fairly successful hunter of many different spieces of critters around the province and going into new areas is a chance at seeing new country and hunting it the way it can be hunted.when i am successful at drawing for an area and i dont have a couple weeks to get to know some of the major holding areas of the piticular region then i ask humbly for assistance.
although the challenge of doing it on my own and the rewards being greater i'm not about to waste a perfectly good tag by going in completely blind.
to me hunting is not just about shooting an animal but it is a way to get to over come new challenges in every way possible.when we hunt we research,check maps for possibe good hot spots,plan the who what where and when,then go and scout where applicable.that said if its not fiesible to scout thats where having a site like this comes in handy,its all part of the research!
i freely give advice to anyone that is hunting in any areas that i personally have hunted and if i have time i wouldnt hesitate even showing the hunter/huntress any animals in that area and explain the finer details as to thier routiens or route they take to and from feeding areas.
by doing this for others without wanting anything or not haveing another agenda i feel like i am not only helping a fellow hunter but they may help others in the future ,this comes around 10 fold and i am a huge believer of karma, after all i do fill all 3 of my deer tags every year and so does the wife,so why shouln't others have that oppertunity,it would only strengthen our hunting community.which is a good thing right.
bruce

barry1974w
07-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Helping other hunters out is a good thing, that goes double for newbies. But not looking at a map before you fill out application is kinda dumb, then asking how to find your area makes you look like a bit of an idiot. But I asked for help with my elk draw last year and I got some, and it worked (thanks again). But I did a lot a research as well and could have gotten by without it, but I figured to use all of the resources avalible to me.

hunter1947
07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
if you dont put in for LEH's in areas you have never been to, then you likely arnt very adventurous. If you decide to do it one day, don't ask here. No one will help you out now.

bigbore14 If your referring to me ???? I don't need any help ,never have ,never will.
As for an adventures person goes ,I adventure where I want when I want :mrgreen:.

Slee
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
there is nothing wrong with putting into areas you dont know. But you should at least look into area access before putting in. I think more guys would be willing to share info pre LEH deadline then after they got anouther NIL!!

sawmill
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Huh?I`ll help.If I can.

goatdancer
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I think everyone here should PM me all their honeyholes, complete with GPS coordinates. It would also help if the critters were tied to trees so they'd be easier to shoot, very close to the road as well. If you ask for these kinds of things, you'll be waiting a long time. Just basic info is something we should offer to help a fellow hunter. Just common courtesy.

Jeffb
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Its like any internet forum. YOur going to have your people who dont mind helpn people out, and youll have your folk who choose to keep shit to themselves. Neither is wrong IMO . Different strokes for different folks. We all have to start out somewhere right:grin:

Gateholio
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I think a person should be responsible enough to only apply for LEH draws which he knows he is reasonably capable of "attending"

It's one thing to not know much about an area, it's a completely different thing to receive a LEH and THEN discover that it's boat/air access only or that it requires a 2 day back pack in and you are a road hunter at heart, or apply for a LEH that falls during a time when you are busy at work or it's Christmas or whatever.

People should ask access questions BEOFRE they apply, not after.

sarnold
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
well i can see I have burned a few bridges.......
I will say when I started this thread I thought it may be close to 50/50 but it's not even close!!! I have gained some respect for the willingness of the people who love this sport...
some of my comments of deserving a tag where just to be a conversation starter and it was.....I know see everyone deserves a chance at a tag, some guys just got shit house luck in some cases.

EvanG
07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I think you should only be able to apply for a draw within 100 miles of where you live ......

EvanG
07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
hahaha jk just stirring the pot a little more.

hunter1947
07-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Trying new areas is the only way to find out for yourself this tells you if there are predators in there or prey as for hunters ,thats how you find out.

FLHTCUI
07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Its a lottery, you dont win if you dont play!
Where in the Regulations does it state that "If you are from the Lower- Mainland You are not welcome to hunt Moose in 5-13C or
Sheep in Kamloops"?
It is a free country after all...
What I will conceede on though is the first time hunter putting in for a draw that they have no intention of ever going on , let alone the means to go on the hunt and be fully prepared for said hunt.
Either your better than everyone else here or your the one I was just talking about!
My ignorant .02 opinion.
Thank You, Thank You Very Much.
Rob

Elkhound
07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Some people do need to do a little homework first. But if you put in for an LEH and are prepared to go....big deal. some people will be succesful and others will not. The more homework the better. But you get different kinds of people in this world. Those that help and those that dont. How many times I have heard "I went out and someone was in MY spot" Yup, cause its their spot....hey if someone got up earlier than me to get into an area they desrve first crack at it and I move on.

I get pms all the time from bear hunters wanting to hit the sunshine coast......I love helping them out. Tell them right where to go and when. And if its a new hunter, all the better.

Marc created this site for one purpose....just a place where he coud share his personal hunting success and failure stories for the folks back home to read. He did not know it would grow so big......but the intent of the site is still the same.

Share.

Share knowledge
share opinions
share success
share disapointments.

We all learn from it.

And if someone looks at a map and says...hey, I want to hunt there...good for them. Learning a new area is fun and not all of us can get there to scout it all out before hand. No harm in asking fellow HBC members for a hand. The bitter guys who are pissed cause they cant get a tag can just keep their mouth shut and fingers off the keyboard....no point in pissing in someone elses cornflakes cause you are jealous and mad.

For those that like to help.....

Share.

Good luck to all those with an LEH......Im the bitter guy again this year;-)

GoatGuy
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
As long as people go hunting, who cares?

sarnold
07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
ok my opinion has been changed/altered
This is everyones province to hunt and that means anyone can hunt anywhere and thats awsome..
so long as a good effort is put in to full the tag

jackychiles
07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
I think a person should be responsible enough to only apply for LEH draws which he knows he is reasonably capable of "attending"

It's one thing to not know much about an area, it's a completely different thing to receive a LEH and THEN discover that it's boat/air access only or that it requires a 2 day back pack in and you are a road hunter at heart, or apply for a LEH that falls during a time when you are busy at work or it's Christmas or whatever.

People should ask access questions BEOFRE they apply, not after.

This I personally agree on. No problem asking questions or even clarifying about good areas but if the area is totally new at least do a little research before you hunt. With my limited time during hunting season I would have to do this and have been burned before because I didn't do it.

Now on another note, on the other LEH thread those us who only put in for tags that we know we can put the time in are basically told "well no wonder you don't EVER get drawn" by others or
"put in for draws with lower odds and maybe you get a tag....etc etc" which I think is total BS as I have explained before.

SO when someone does put in for a unknown area and gets a draw maybe those same people should step up and help the guy ;):p

bridger
07-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I think what is most upsetting to most of us is that guys put leh applications in on a whim and never really make an effort to go if they do get drawn. i don't know vancouver island very well but if I ever draw a rosie tag I will make every effort to be sucessful and have a great hunt.

Rymar
07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
other than goin in blind how else do you gain knowledge and become a better hunter then takin on a new adventure..you'll never get anywhere if ur to afraid to ask for help

Paulyman
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I think you should only be able to apply for a draw within 100 miles of where you live ......

he he, i don't think anywhere this side of Hope or Whistler has a Moose,Elk or Goat draw though???