PDA

View Full Version : Trespass Fees

barry1974w
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Is it legal to charge trespass fees in B.C.? Last year during the late season elk hunt in the Robson valley the landowner (of the place we were seeing elk everyday) told us that we could hunt on his property... for a hundred dollar trespass fee. I didn't pay, and I still managed to get an elk elsewhere, it just took a lot longer.

Barry

Mr. Friendly
07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
if it's private property, I'm pretty sure they can do something like that...though they might be able to word the fee better, more like, 'property rental fee' or something.

Wild one
07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
No he can not charge you to hunt on his land

frodo
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes in BC he can not on the Prairie Provinces

olharley guy
07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Howdy, never heard of this but it might have been worth it if you saw some good shootable elk.
Gas, wear and tear on your vehicle not to mention your own body.
Myself if I had seen some good animals I probably would have paid him for using his private property if the hunt was going to make things easier for me. Later

elkdom
07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes landowners CAN charge a Trespass FEE in BC !, many landowners will try in Reg 7B, example are in the Pink Mountain area for access to Bison, Moose, elk and other big game species, or access to fishing etc,,,, they demand a "trespass fee", bite me! I will go around or somewhere else thanks,,

In reg 7-20a for the Ag-zone LEH antler less hunt, there are several landowners with their hands out for $ cash $ in order to allow residents to hunt in a lawful open season,,,

the Crown owns the wildlife, and authorizes the hunting through tags and licenses,, if a landowner encourages hunting by permission is one thing, if he wants to exploit hunting for $cash $, thats another thing,,,

personally I wouldn't pay "one cent" upfront to access private land,then pay for tags and licenses to hunt WILD game owned by the Crown, no matter what wildlife is on such land! and by allowing such as collecting trespass fees, the Gov't inadvertently allows land owners to bait/ encourage wildlife, then profit from selling "trespass fees" ,,,sorry not on my dime!

barry1974w
07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
The reason the late season elk hunts are restricted to private land is help deal with depredation issues. My thoughts are if the elk are eating your hay and you don't let hunters on your land free of charge, you shouldn't be eligible to claim any for any damages.
I wouldn't pay him to hunt on his land because I think it's wrong. If we start paying to hunt private property, pretty soon nobody will let you hunt just for the price of asking, or offering to do a few chores.

Barry

elkdom
07-26-2009, 02:33 PM
The reason the late season elk hunts are restricted to private land is help deal with depredation issues. My thoughts are if the elk are eating your hay and you don't let hunters on your land free of charge, you shouldn't be eligible to claim any for any damages.
I wouldn't pay him to hunt on his land because I think it's wrong. If we start paying to hunt private property, pretty soon nobody will let you hunt just for the price of asking, or offering to do a few chores.

Barry
X 2 I agree! but as in all Gov't programs there are abusers and scammer's!
respect and gratitude for a landowner that permits hunting is only fair and proper, but paying cash out-right to harvest game "managed and owned by the Crown " is another story,
by allowing this behavior, the MOE has lost control of game management, an effectively is encouraging what I consider illegal guiding !

BCLongshot
07-26-2009, 03:20 PM
We have to much crown land to pay some b*tch a fee.

Then again if I was the b*tch u'd be payin'.

ha ha

Like all good parents..."Do as I say not as I do".

07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Its the land owners property, if he wants to charge a fee and its legal, then its the hunters choice, no one is being forced to do anything.
I've paid to fish lakes on private property, and l paid to rent a cabin on a ranch that also included exclusive rights to hunt elk on the 10,000 acre ranch.........my choice.

respect and gratitude for a landowner that permits hunting is only fair and proper, but paying cash out-right to harvest game "managed and owned by the Crown " is another story,

How are landowners affecting any of the govt management policies?

Kody94
07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Its the land owners property, if he wants to charge a fee and its legal, then its the hunters choice, no one is being forced to do anything.
I've paid to fish lakes on private property, and l paid to rent a cabin on a ranch that also included exclusive rights to hunt elk on the 10,000 acre ranch.........my choice.

I agree. Private land is private land. They can't charge for you to kill game (eg a trophy fee) but they sure as heck have every right to charge a fee for people wanting to use their land.

Some consider it like "rent" for the crown owned wildlife that they are feeding. :) I have trouble arguing with that, although I can think of lots of cases where I'd like to. The bottom line is that if these landowners see some benefit from the wildlife, they are a lot less likely to put up 8' paige wire fencing to keep it out..and thereby reduce the carrying capacity of an area to support game.

My 2c
4Ster

Wild one
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I guess I was wrong but no way in hell will I pay some guy to hunt his land .I will just find some were else to hunt

lunatic
07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Well I don't think you were wrong...I wouldn't pay either. There is way too much crown land available to hunt on without paying some greedy landowner a red cent. They are the first ones to whine when the elk are eating their crops, yet when the MOE opens up the season to help them out, the greedy paws come out! If they don't allow hunting, then they shouldn't get d**k all from the gov't!

elkdom
07-26-2009, 09:23 PM

simple! by seeding desirable forage plots on private land, and discouraging the general public, then encouraging PAID hunts, the landholder can control what big game is likely to inhabit his land holdings, maybe at the same time complaining to the MOE that he has depredation of crops, that way receiving some type of remuneration from a Provincial program,,, win win situation for some landholders, if wildlife depredation is a real problem, there are many programs available with Provincial and Federal grants and incentives to Protest crops, enclose feed storage areas and remedy the problem, but some like the $ cash $ from selling the HUNT! , these types I consider wildlife whores, and I wont pay them a penny!

so keep in mind when paying to hunt private land!, the next guy to come along and offer more money than what you are willing to pay, chances are you cough up more cash or next year your out of luck!, we'll the sky is the limit as to how much the "hunt sells for", if there is reoccurring problems requiring wildlife reduction and a landowner is profiting by "harboring/encouraging wild life on closed in property, and having repeat hunts on a pay per basis, there is a problem,,,

bigben
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Howdy, never heard of this but it might have been worth it if you saw some good shootable elk.
Gas, wear and tear on your vehicle not to mention your own body.
Myself if I had seen some good animals I probably would have paid him for using his private property if the hunt was going to make things easier for me. Later
If this happens you can kiss your hunting good bye unless you have 10 or so grand .............

mudbud
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
If said farmer is looking to the government to fund his 8 foot elk fences, but on the other had charging hunters to hunt the elk, I have a serious problem with that. I say if he does not allow hunting, he is not eligible for funding for fences, or other damage from the elk. My 2 cents.

hunter1947
07-27-2009, 05:34 AM
If there are animals on this land owners land and they want $100.00 to hunt it ,that is not a lot of money to fork out if you think that you can get your animal from his land.

In a hunting party of two ,$50.00 split two ways is nothing.

If me and I saw a 350+ bull elk on his land and if I could hunt it I would gladly pay this land owner the cash at a chance to get this bull.

Brambles
07-27-2009, 05:47 AM
This is a complex topic,

IMO if the farmer has been filing for crop damage then he shouldn't be able to charge a fee, the whole idea of those tags is to address population issues and make it easier on the farmers. If he's been sucking it up and eating the cost then ya maybe he can charge a modest fee but it should be regulated so its not out of control.

The cost should also be tax deductable because its then more like going to the supermarket for grocery's then actually hunting:smile:

fowl language
07-27-2009, 07:12 AM
i understand that in these agriculture hunts that the land owner is paid by the govt for crop damage as long as he allows hunting on his property.i dont think he can charge a fee and still be intitled to the govt funding as he is denying access if you dont pay,there fore should be reported to the proper authorities ie co,s or dept. of agriculture....fowl

barry1974w
07-27-2009, 07:26 AM
The reason we have late season hunts limited to private land is because the land owners in the area have requested a reduction in population because of wildlife depredation.
As for the 8' elk fences, I'm pretty sure the gov't (taxpayers) pays the bulk of the expense to build these fences. If you ask people for money to hunt on your land, then you should have to pay for your own fences, pay back any money you have already gotten to build fences, and not be eligible for gov't subsidized crop insurance due to wildlife damage.
On the other side of the coin, I'm a land owner and seeing the lack of respect some "hunters" have for private propery it's amazing that anybody lets us hunt on their land at all. We had at least five animals poached off our place last year during the open season, plus harvest by authorized hunters. We only have five hundred acres, this kind of thing throws my little "management" sceme out the window. So what am I to do, stop letting people hunt on my place because the illegal harvest might be hitting my harvest goals?

bearhunter338-06
07-27-2009, 07:47 AM
The way I see it is if I'm going to spend 3-400 bucks on gas and drive for 12-14 hours, and the game is in some farmers field. That farmer wants to charge a "Trespass Fee" and its only $100 Then it would be well worth it to me. Or I could Hire a guide for $10,000 and be on my way. But then that would be my choice.

Beardy
07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
In Quebec, it's not uncommon to see in the newspapers ads, land owners who charge up to $1000 for the rights to hunt moose on their land. Believe it or not, these guys never have any problems finding someone to pay the fee!

elkdom
07-27-2009, 09:00 AM
In Quebec, it's not uncommon to see in the newspapers ads, land owners who charge up to $1000 for the rights to hunt moose on their land. Believe it or not, these guys never have any problems finding someone to pay the fee!

neither do "prostitutes" :shock:, how one satisfies his own lust, whatever the need, that is ones own choice, for some, if it feels good ? , do it!

but i will not pay private individuals to hunt wildlife licensed and owned by the Crown,

betteroffishing
07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
i see what your saying elkdom and to each his own , but charging 100 bucks to access land you own and are responsible for is not too tall a price in my opinion . remember if " hunter a " trips on an unmarked obstacle on your land and breaks his leg and cannot work , you as the landowner are culpable. if durring your hunt fencing gets broken or damaged it is the landowners responsability to repair it . landowners pay property taxes for the land they own because they get to decide what happens on it , beware the piece of legislation that challenges the rights of an owner to exersize controll over that which he owns. remember were only talking about 100 bucks here .

betteroffishing
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
btw elkdom , i ate those yearling elk steaks you sent the other day and they were wonderfull and i guesse i can conceed if i had a freezer full of those id propably turn my nose up at old rutted out mullie buck meat as well . thanks again for the groceries and take care.

lunatic
07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
i see what your saying elkdom and to each his own , but charging 100 bucks to access land you own and are responsible for is not too tall a price in my opinion . remember if " hunter a " trips on an unmarked obstacle on your land and breaks his leg and cannot work , you as the landowner are culpable. if durring your hunt fencing gets broken or damaged it is the landowners responsability to repair it . landowners pay property taxes for the land they own because they get to decide what happens on it , beware the piece of legislation that challenges the rights of an owner to exersize controll over that which he owns. remember were only talking about 100 bucks here .

The problem here is, do you really think if this took off that the landowner would only charge a $100? Sure, I understand if someone drives up from the coast to hunt elk it is a small pitance to pay after the other expenses, but yikes, I think guys are messing with a good thing here ( the GOS or LEH elk hunt ). I think we are pretty nieve if we think this couldn't balloon into paying big $$$$$ to hunt this private property. As for the piece of $hit trespassers, we need more poeple caught and charged to get the message across. It's not that hard to catch someone in the act if you want to.

tufferthandug
07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I give a big bottle of Baileys to the farmer that lets me hunt on his property each fall (50-60 muleys eating alfalfa every morning/every night). We also buy hay off him so that probably helps too, LOL. Although he never asks for anything but the money for hay...

100 bucks is piss all. Help a local farmer out! When was the last time you saw a rich farmer?

Most of you guys are bullshitting if you say you wouldn't pay 100 dollars for a chance to get on some killer property with a big buck or bull on it!!

elkdom
07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
btw elkdom , i ate those yearling elk steaks you sent the other day and they were wonderfull and i guesse i can conceed if i had a freezer full of those id propably turn my nose up at old rutted out mullie buck meat as well . thanks again for the groceries and take care.
good to hear you liked the steaks8), and it was "free range elk" lol so was the muley buck!, and actually I tried that muley, some steaks and roasts and it was one of the better muley bucks as for table fare! :???:

lunatic
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I give a big bottle of Baileys to the farmer that lets me hunt on his property each fall (50-60 muleys eating alfalfa every morning/every night). We also buy hay off him so that probably helps too, LOL. Although he never asks for anything but the money for hay...

100 bucks is piss all. Help a local farmer out! When was the last time you saw a rich farmer?

Most of you guys are bullshitting if you say you wouldn't pay 100 dollars for a chance to get on some killer property with a big buck or bull on it!!

Well no BS here.....hell will freeze over before I pay some farmer to hunt his land. Maybe where you're from you have to, but around here there is plenty of opportunity without having to pay. And BTW, there are farmers around this neck of the woods who don't appear to be hurtin' too bad by the looks of their houses, machinery, etc., and if they are, the gov't always seems willing to "help". Sure wish in my industry when we have a $hitty year, the good ol gov't would dole me out some $$$$$.

daycort
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
here in the peace country payng farmers or exclusive land rights happens alot, mostly for deer.

And way more then a hundred bucks.

Seeadler
07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
but i will not pay private individuals to hunt wildlife licensed and owned by the Crown,

That is perfectly fine as long as you are content to hunt on land owned by the Crown.

And BTW, you are paying via the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund and the various landowner enfranchisement projects.

elkdom
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
here in the peace country payng farmers or exclusive land rights happens alot, mostly for deer.

And way more then a hundred bucks.

true fact! and some GO's have arrangements with landholders for total exclusion of resident hunters, the deal is the GO's promises a HUGE Trophy fee to the landholder upon the harvest of a trophy animal by a Guided Client! anyone that cant see where this type of profitable marketing of wild game resources will end up, probably needs to pay for their hunt as well!:-?

but how long will average resident hunter be able to compete with the filthy rich??

elkdom
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
That is perfectly fine as long as you are content to hunt on land owned by the Crown.

And BTW, you are paying via the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund and the various landowner enfranchisement projects.

I hunt some private land with permission, but if the day comes I'm asked to pay CASH for permission I will not bother talking to them again,, by by adios! dont need them that much, they dont OWN the Wildlife, end of story! I wont support an underground wildlife marketing scheme,,,

Seeadler
07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
I hunt some private land with permission, but if the day comes I'm asked to pay CASH for permission I will not bother talking to them again,, by by adios! dont need them that much, they dont OWN the Wildlife, end of story! I wont support an underground wildlife marketing scheme,,,

I see the idea that hunting on private land has no monetary value to be dangerous. Deer and elk eat a lot, and for many, if there is no compensation for that, the solution is high fencing, removing a valuable food source and winter range.

elkdom
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I see the idea that hunting on private land has no monetary value to be dangerous. Deer and elk eat a lot, and for many, if there is no compensation for that, the solution is high fencing, removing a valuable food source and winter range.

there are all Kinds of Gov't programs to accomplish exactly that at little or NO cost to the landholder, and believe me if the landholder is asking for cash to allow a hunt, he sure as HELL is asking for cash for deterrents and wildlife depredation remuneration! with all respect, farmers and ranchers are the epitome of looking for Government hand outs!

f350ps
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
there are all Kinds of Gov't programs to accomplish exactly that at little or NO cost to the landholder, and believe me if the landholder is asking for cash to allow a hunt, he sure as HELL is asking for cash for deterrents and wildlife depredation remuneration! with all respect, farmers and ranchers are the epitome of looking for Government hand outs!
Well that comment sure must open a lot of gates for ya! I'm sure you tell that to the people that let you hunt their land eh? Didn't think so! K

BCLongshot
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
If I win the lottery look out !

I'm buyin' tons of land, huge fences, alfalfa everywhere !

Only the workin' man's going to hunt there and you'll be proving it !

We'll have pretty girls cooking meals at the lodge.

I'm pumped ! I'll let you know when it's goin' down.

elkdom
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
If I win the lottery look out !

I'm buyin' tons of land, huge fences, alfalfa everywhere !

Only the workin' man's going to hunt there and you'll be proving it !

We'll have pretty girls cooking meals at the lodge.

I'm pumped ! I'll let you know when it's goin' down.

You gonna make me WAFFLES ? I'm getting real fond of waffles lately! :???:

Seeadler
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM

I suppose the bottom line truly is, wheather a landowner has the right to charge people to access private property, I believe the answer is yes. People also have the right not to participate.

How many people that believe otherwise would open their doors for the public to use their backyard for a BBQ or maybe to watch the game on their big screen?

BCLongshot
07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
ha ha

Oh 4 sure but not me the girls will. Like the 1's they used to have on Hee Haw, Daisy Duke types.

My wife just smacked me on the head. She's jealous 'cause she won't ever see the place.

BCLongshot
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
You gonna make me WAFFLES ? I'm getting real fond of waffles lately! :???:

It'll be a gong show at the Lodge all the time.

The fee will be that your a smartass hey ? :twisted:

elkdom
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
It'll be a gong show at the Lodge all the time.

The fee will be that yoyr a smartass hey ? :twisted:

I will trust you not to "waffle" then,,on your promises :lol:

Benthos
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
tell him you'll pay the $100 if he gives you a receipt.

since that will likely not happen, tell him you'll give him $25 and not tell your buddy who works for revenue canada that he is getting income without claiming on his taxes:twisted:

or, just go somewhere else